Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it not too late for a 25 years old guy to start traning martial arts ?

• 16-01-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭

If not then what would you recommend to go with. I am not exactly looking for something street fighting - efficient. Only for something what would keep me fit and in good shape. Would be great if also provides some basic self defence techniques :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

your not too old!

where are you based as advise is pointless unless the martial art is in your area or somewhere that realistically you can train..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

muffinn wrote: »
    If not then what would you recommend to go with. I am not exactly looking for something street fighting - efficient. Only for something what would keep me fit and in good shape. Would be great if also provides some basic self defence techniques :D

no its not, as for which art depends its on where you live really, check out www.bridgestonemuaythai.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

Thanks for replies!

Currently I am living in Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Choose one of the more sporty martial arts if its mainly to stay in shape while learning some self defence. There is loads of kickboxing / karate etc in the area and check out some of the grappling oreintated arts as well to see what suits you best. judo/ju jutsu etc.

Loads of people start at 25 and much older as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

too late, no way i started at 33 and am loving it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

you can start at any age . you get out what you put in . I study Kenpo in ballyfermottt but travel from the north side .great instructors . thats why i travel so far .

in tallaght there are 2 good kenpo schools with high ranked instructors if you would like their names and contact details let me know . drop down and see if this style is for you .

dont be afraid to look at many different martial arts and see which one suits you and your needs and wants .. its more about your own style and needs . the instructor is very important . but not so much at the start . but i would say start as you mean to go on

best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thanks for replies!

Currently I am living in Tallaght.

Chupasart is on the long mile road which isnt far from you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

Hi.

We couple of Silat classes near you in Firhouse and Tallaght that are both adult classes. There are plenty of guys much older than 25 so you nothing to worry about and I look after you, if you want to have a go. Silat is a martial art that can be done at any age so Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

25 is still fairly young considering some people getting into a ring at 40 :D ! Best try a few styles and whatever you enjoy the most stick with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NattyRasher

I started kickboxing at 27 and love it. I live in Clondalkin and go to a club in Clondalkin Village. If you'tre interested in something less street fighter based we might be a good club for you to try. Our beginners class is fitness and technique based. If you want to eventually spar you can move to the intermediate level (once you're fit enough and have good basic skills) and begin sparring. there is no pressure on anyone to spar in our club.

If you'd like some further information about the club let me know or else take a look at their website. It's www.Bushido.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

No way are you too old!! The only advice I would give is to try and join an adults only class - it will help you to feel more at home.
    As an adult starting a martial art you have many advantages - you will adapt to discipline eeasier, understand the application of patterns and probably be stronger mentally so you will train harder.

Just be very, very patient with yourself. You need at least 3 months in a new MA before you know if it suits. Flexibility, strength, stamina etc all take time to build. Rush this and you will get injured.

Good luck - and enjoy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 maslan007

Im F and 25 I started aikido and really enjoy it try it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

maslan007 wrote: »
    Im F and 25 I started aikido and really enjoy it try it out

Where are you doing the Aikido?.

My daughter comes to Judo with me, but won't get on the mat as she doesn't want to have to compete so I was thinking Aikido would be nice for her to try.

She's 14 and we're in Dublin 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

GBX wrote: »
    Chupasart is on the long mile road which isnt far from you

Just to point out to the OP that Chupasart has moved, its actually based in tallaght now which is even handier for you again. Its in Whitestown Business Park, Unit 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

started JJ at 25 go for it....you wont regret it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Depends on your ego. If you can handle people your ages or younger being more "senior" then you, then go a head. When I started Judo, the couch was the exact same age as me, doing the same course, and basically at the same stage in his life, yet a 2nd level dan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ufclongmile

25 is in no way too old!:) For mixed - MMA forum is >>> THAT'A WAY - Makikomi Nazi Mod edit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 biffo34

Go for it, just remember its a lifelong journey and the benefits and progress will often not be noticed by you for a while.
    No martial art is guaranteed to bestow fitness, its the effort you put in.
    Its important to pick the martial art that siuts you.
    Good places to look at are the ONAKAI or IMAC websites.
    I personally would recommend Roy Bakers place in Palmerstown/Leixlip(Kickboxing), Ken Keating in Balinteer(Kenpo), Joe Carslake in Drumcondra (Ju Jutsu), Kierán Foley in Coolmine (Judo), Brendan Dowling in Whitefriar Street (Aikido) or if you want mixed martial arts try John Kavanagh.

Again its up to you, hope I've been of some help.
    Darren Hand

Advertisement