Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jesus christ, the bloody news

Options
  • 16-01-2010 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Fed up of hearing about the death toll. I want to listen to some good music, not hear this crap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Bit random for Cork city, but yeah, damn those scriptwriters - you'd think they'd come up with something more light-hearted than an earthquake in Haiti... Who wants to hear about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ned209

the news is the scariest show on tv.

load of b******, sky news being the worst, closely followed by the propoganda spewing American clannels. if you have satellite or sky you might be able to get al-jazeera english, i like it, its not owned by rupert murdock and newscorp (i researched this) and theres actually regularly good news on it, which is nice.

the American government is constantly trying to get it shut down for reporting the nasty side of their wars. theres posh english anchormen and lots of funny arabs on it too. all in all a good show.

that and NME tv are all i watch.

ned209 wrote: »
    load of b******
    Yes, clearly a load of bull****...

I'm utterly intrigued by the seeming advocacy here of not reporting bad, unsettling stuff that nevertheless is really happening, cuz it's depressing and scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Good news won't sell newspapers / make people watch the news.

People like to read about and / or watch other people's misery as it makes them feel good knowing that they are far better off than the person / people concerned.

I don't think it even warrants analysis like that, Kingtut - the bad, serious stuff tends to be big news and is purely reported for that alone.
    I don't think there would have been an option not to report the Haiti earthquake for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dudess wrote: »
    Yes, clearly a load of bull****...

I'm utterly intrigued by the seeming advocacy here of not reporting bad, unsettling stuff that nevertheless is really happening, cuz it's depressing and scary.

It has no impact on the individual, by and large.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I thought this thread was a new marketing attempt for the Catholic church.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Wow. The news isn't there to make you feel better about yourself, what a horrible comment to make. It's keeping you up to date with the rest of the world, current affairs, political views, sports updates even. People were complaining there wasn't ENOUGH information communicated to us recently too. :rolleyes:

Not all news is good news.

If you don't want to watch the news, change the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

CorkMan wrote: »
    I want to listen to some good music,

Cd's and Ipods, most radio is ****e.

@ Dudess, i see your point, but, in a 30 minute program there may be 3 minutes, there may be less, there may be no, good news. by that token i might tune in at 6 every evening to depress myself were i so inclined. you can guarantee its not gonna cheer you up, - or maybe you would disagree?

Perhaps a smattering of good news now and then? im not trying to fool myself into thinking the world is a wonderful place, bit its not a totally hostile place either.

this might come across as sexist, but just thinking aloud here, i wonder if females have more tolerace toward bad news.. im mean if i watch eastenders of ANY soap i feel like killing myself, or suicide bombing the set, or so-on and so-forth.

whereas girls seem to enjoy the drama and misery of it all. perhaps the same is true of the news?

i personally would like all the misery balanced with some nice news, pictures of puppies or something.

heres two links that try to explain the current state of the news, from the BBC.

the rise and fall of the television journalist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9FaIyc4vpU

oh dearism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW3XeT7qavo

Good point made above by Jeremiah. "It has no impact on the individual, by and large." The age of communication is all well and good but do i actually care whats happening in Georgia, Afganistan or, especially, Gaza? - No.

call me callous but it really doesn't affect my day to day life puttering around Kerry. the recent health scares, let me see, swine flu, ebola, bird flu ect. have come to nothing, though the media would convince us to stay indoors and not come out or interact with people at all. blah blah blah, rant rant rant.

im thinking this is turning into one of those conversations folks shouldnt have, like god or politics, cos theyre just neverending.

anyway to finish, ill just eductate myself to the fact that most of it is sensationalist tripe and take it with a healthy pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Was it not Good News Friday last Friday, where they had to feature a good news story on every news bulletin?? Wasn't listening to the radio at all Friday, so couldn't tell!

Rebel girl i would love, if that was made mandatory :)

Advertisement