Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Warming - Is it real, and if so is it caused by humans?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Malty_T wrote: »
    Nature knows?
    Nature doesn't care bout us, it just does it's own thing. Earth is a deadly planet, there wasn't even oxygen in the atmosphere in the young earth. Oxygen got into the atmosphere from the earliest bacteria that "exhaled" it, and in the course of millions of years these tiny bacteria raised the oxygen levels in the planet. Only for the new organisms that depended on oxygen to survive to "eat" the ones that produced it in the first place. Nature doesn't care about any particular species, survival of the fittest and all that.

I know "education" seems to want us repeat that, because what you said seems to be what we all learnt in school aswell. But no I won't and blindly follow it. I understand that the entire universe is conscious and our planet is too. Our planet responds to a seed, who makes that seed grow into a tree? Nature cares about you, because if it didnt you wouldnt be here. Btw, nature is like our own moods at has ups and downs. If man keeps going the way its going and making the same comments that you do about nature, we wont have much time left on this world.

I prefer to talk about "nature" to people who are in tune with it. I don't really understand when someone such as yourself pipes up about what nature is based on educational references. Nature is outside not indoors learning from some biologist....

Just because there was no oxygen on our planet doesn't mean it was dangerous, it was only inadequate for standard human colonization. It's still nature. I consider humanity more dangerous than anything else on this world.

As George Callin says, " I can't wait for when the Tsnumais comes, and earthquakes destroy our cities and "way of life", because thats when we are really worried and thats whats we were always worried about, a nice place to live, we don't care about nature. Because we are not intune with it.

I seem to recall the sun was a lot weaker too back in those "ages." We are now entering the stage where the C02 levels in the atmosphere are the highest that they've been for a million years. And I really hope I don't need to tell you what happened when C02 levels were just a bit higher than that.
    (In a weaker sun too.)

Which "cycle" would that be now?

Its cycles, stronger weaker, bigger smaller, brighter, darker do la la. etc. We spin around our galaxy also. And there is ups and downs on the journey around it. Doing one revolution means we will do it all over again the next time around. Such a pity education didn't teach us more about this basic stuff. We are in the age of Aquarius or fifth age. Each ancient civilzations called it a diferent name.

But interestingly enough 10,980 bc, was the fall of Atlantis and the dating of the hall of records, which is opened but not to the public about our true history of the last ages. This was the age of Leo, leo is opposite of Aquarius. This was 12,900 years ago approx. A galactic day is 26.000 years approx half of this age is 13,000 years. The other interesting thing is, the pyramids of Giza are perfectly aligned to Orion and Sirius, 10,980 bc(12,900 years ago)

The last 13000 years has been called the dark ages. What we are moving into now is what's known as the Golden age (which is well underway)

Google the ages of the past, If you want links I'll send a few good referenced ones.

We are moving into a new age, and the powers of be dont want us to know the reality of this great change. They can't stop the truth from getting out the back door, but they have the power of the media and education systems to keep us locked in this frenzy of fear, pandamic, global warming, the world is going to end and using technology against us such as bio and armed warfare. Now we are been cot with the haarp weather changing systems. The list is endiess to keep us all worried and distracted to what is actually happening to our planet and our world as a whole.

This man George Carlin had the IQ of all the woman combined here.:D

He's just on the ball with reality and more noticeably on environmental issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U8p9IbXYHc&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

mysterious wrote: »
    This man George Carlin had the IQ of all the woman combined here.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U8p9IbXYHc&feature=related

"Wildfire victims getting what's coming to them, says Carlin"

Nice Mysterious, real nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

He's pretty on the ball about religion too!:D

I know, thats why I'm a big fan of him:p

• Advertisement

Mysterious if you'd like to read scientific literature which proposes that the earth is a living organism I suggest James Lovelocks stuff. He's a real scientist, who does research and submits it for peer review. You'd get a but more respect if you quoted his work rather than just stated your own opinions which you got from being 'in tune with nature'. Here's an introduction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis

EDIT: I just like to add I'm not a fan of this theory, I just thought I try and take this back to the realm of science before this thread derails :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

King Mob wrote: »
    Or you know, greenhouse gases could just be a problem without silly doomsday predictions.

If the sun gets going , greenhouse gases will be a problem and electromagnetic induction from the sun will cause a pole shift and there will be massive earthquakes and the oceans will wipe Ireland clear of every standing structure .
    A polar shift would be good for the environment because everything would be plowed up and soils will be re-mineralised and the planet would be set up like new for another 26000 years or so .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

espinolman wrote: »
    If the sun gets going
    It's going right now.
    What's going to change in 3 years?
    , greenhouse gases will be a problem
    They're a problem now even without the sun heating up.
    and electomagnetic induction from the sun will cause a polar shift
    And electromagnetic induction from the sun does not and change not cause a polar shift.
    and there will be massive earthquakes and the oceans will wipe Ireland clear of every standing structure ,
    No they won't.
    a polar shift would be good for the environment because everything would be plowed up and soils will be re-mineralised and the planet would be set up like new for another 26000 years or so .
    No it won't.

All a pole shift does is flip the magnetic poles of the Earth that's it.
    It's happened tons of times throughout history without any of the doomsday nonsense you think will happen.
    There is nothing at all to suggest a pole shift will happen in 2012 or any time within our lifetimes.

Seriously where do you get this nonsense?
    Do you ever try to check the claims?

If the sun gets going , greenhouse gases will be a problem and electromagnetic induction from the sun will cause a pole shift and there will be massive earthquakes and the oceans will wipe Ireland clear of every standing structure .
    A polar shift would be good for the environment because everything would be plowed up and soils will be re-mineralised and the planet would be set up like new for another 26000 years or so .

I can't wait for that, and I hope the powers of be that have kept us in darkness about our true history perish for good this time.

There are no second or third chances this time.

It's going right now.

There is nothing at all to suggest a pole shift will happen in 2012 or any time within our lifetimes.

Seriously where do you get this nonsense?
    Do you ever try to check the claims?

Oh and I suppose its just a coincidence that you posted that at exactly 02:12 which rearranges as 2012!:eek::eek::eek:

But seriously, if anyone is interested the astronomer TDarnell did a video on this the other day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxpjIhfVk6A . Not the most interesting, but he talks about the pole shifts and solar pole shifts from about 06:50 onwards.

The main points from the video are solar flares happen all the time, he has footage of them happening, its no biggie, certainly not the end of the world, just messes with satellites.

The earths poles change over hundreds of thousands of years...not in a day. The last time the magnetic field of the earth changed was over 740,000 years ago.

The earth shifts poles very rarely

• Advertisement

I can't wait for that

Your lack of compassion for mankind is astonishing! You would relish a global genocide.:eek:

It's going right now.
    What's going to change in 3 years?
    The equator of the sun aligns with the galactic centre and this will cause electromagnetic induction from millions of stars in the galaxy into to sun , the sun will get extremely active , there will be colossal sun flares and the sun will have a pole shift , the suns magnetic field is connected to the earths magnetic field , so if the sun has a polar shift , earth will as well .
    All a pole shift does is flip the magnetic poles of the Earth that's it.
    It's happened tons of times throughout history without any of the doomsday nonsense you think will happen.

The earth's magnetic field and the earths true axis are one and the same , the suns magnetic field is powerful enough to warp earths magnetic field away from earths true axis and this is fact , a pole shift is a physical pole shift , a planets magnetic field cannot be independant of the axis of rotation of a planet .

The equator of the sun aligns with the galactic centre and this will cause electromagnetic induction from millions of stars in the galaxy into to sun , the sun will get extremely active , there will be colossal sun flares and the sun will have a pole shift , the suns magnetic field is connected to the earths magnetic field , so if the sun has a polar shift , earth will as well .

The earth's magnetic field and the earths true axis are one and the same , the suns magnetic field is powerful enough to warp earths magnetic field away from earths true axis and this is fact , a pole shift is a physical pole shift ,
    Pretty much everything you said in that post is not true.
    It kinda displays your complete lack of understanding of astronomy or physics, and your willingness to accept any old crap as truth.

I dare you, show evidence for any of those claims.
    a planets magnetic field cannot be independant of the axis of rotation of a planet .
    Yep bull****.

Neptune
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranus#Magnetic_field
    Uranian_Magnetic_field.gif

The equator of the sun aligns with the galactic centre

The galactic alignment is only a visual effect, and only from the earths perspective, as a result of the procession cycle, the 26,000 wobble of the earth. Viewed from anywhere else in the solar system, this is an insignificant event. It is just a visual effect.
    and this will cause electromagnetic induction from millions of stars in the galaxy into to sun , the sun will get extremely active

Well seen as galactic alignemnt is just an effect not sure by what mechanism you think this could happen.
    , there will be colossal sun flares and the sun will have a pole shift , the suns magnetic field is connected to the earths magnetic field , so if the sun has a polar shift , earth will as well .

The sun shifts poles every 11 years and is NOT connected to the earths magnetic field.

yekahs wrote: »
    Your lack of compassion for mankind is astonishing! You would relish a global genocide.:eek:

No I think the people who take responsibility for their lives will survive,

Meaning people who can let go
    • materilism
    • physicality
    • education
    • sigh ence
    • money
    • insecurities
    • hate
    • separation
    These are just some of the things that will hinder us in the probable worst case scenario.

I don't wish genocide, i just want this planet to wash itself out.

The sun shifts poles every 11 years and is NOT connected to the earths magnetic field.

No , the sun does not shift poles every 11 years , they think it does based on observations of sunspots , but sunspots have their own magnetic fields which do shift , but that does't mean the sun pole shifts , of course mainstream scientists and astronomers think the suns poles shift every eleven years because they are idiots .
    And suns magnetic field does influence the earths magnetic field , it causes the earths magnetic pole to be tillted 11 degrees from the earths true axis .

No , the sun does not shift poles every 11 years , they think it does based on observations of sunspots , but sunspots have their own magnetic fields which do shift , but that does't mean the sun pole shifts ,
    No sunspots are the product of the sun's magnetic field.
    And the sun's pole does shift.
    They have observed this happening.
    of course mainstream scientists and astronomers think the suns poles shift every eleven years because they are idiots .
    Yep that must be it. It couldn't possibly be you that's wrong.
    Sure astronomers have equipment and satellites and experimental and observational data and peer reviewed papers and education and experience in their field and a notion about what they're talking about, but you've got.....

What do you have exactly?
    How do you know this nonsense you're spouting is true?

And suns magnetic field does influence the earths magnetic field , it causes the earths magnetic pole to be tillted 11 degrees from the earths true axis .

Oops looks like you're contradicting your self.
    a planets magnetic field cannot be independant of the axis of rotation of a planet .

It's almost like you're making this up in your head.

I would just like to clarify an error I made a few posts ago:o. I said that the sun shifts poles every 11 years. This is not strictly true, it would have been more accurate for me to say it occurs spotaneously every 7-15 years at the peak of solar max during the 11year cycle.

I would just like to clarify an error I made a few posts ago:o. I said that the sun shifts poles every 11 years. This is not strictly true, it would have been more accurate for me to say it occurs spotaneously every 7-15 years at the peak of solar max during the 11year cycle.

If the sun had a pole shift , the earth and all the planets would as well and it would be a physical pole shift , its simple mechanics and i understand this because i study suppressed science and technology .

• Advertisement

If the sun had a pole shift , the earth and all the planets would as well and it would be a physical pole shift , its simple mechanics and i understand this because i study suppressed science and technology .

Suppressed must mean "made up".

And if it's just "simple mechanics" how can it be suppressed?

its simple mechanics and i understand

Excellent, because I love learning new things. Please explain the simple mechanics, as simple and clearly as you can. I suggest the best way is to use mathematics.

However, I don't expect you to do that, all I expect is more made up bullsh1t which is dragging my beautiful first thread down the toilet.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast15feb_1.htm
    February 15, 2001 -- You can't tell by looking, but scientists say the Sun has just undergone an important change. Our star's magnetic field has flipped.

The Sun's magnetic north pole, which was in the northern hemisphere just a few months ago, now points south. It's a topsy-turvy situation, but not an unexpected one.

"This always happens around the time of solar maximum," says David Hathaway, a solar physicist at the Marshall Space Flight Center. "The magnetic poles exchange places at the peak of the sunspot cycle. In fact, it's a good indication that Solar Max is really here."

Earth’s magnetic field also flips, but with less regularity. Consecutive reversals are spaced 5 thousand years to 50 million years apart. The last reversal happened 740,000 years ago. Some researchers think our planet is overdue for another one, but nobody knows exactly when the next reversal might occur.
    Except of course espinolman of boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Shame this thread has been dragged down to a some kind of creationist tripe. Its really funny though, the difference in intellects here! Mysterious et al reading from a made up book of complete unfounded rubbish( see all previous posts!) and the rest who seem to live in the real world which is much more fantastic- the world of empirical data and observations (Carl sagans pale blue dot-youtube it!). Its like Einstein vs worzel gummage!

As for climate change -its nice to see so many are learned on the matter, i've never heard a fellow irishmen/women share my views on it. The recent cold weather has led to all the skeptics laughing at the "global warming" theory! Fact is we were experiencing the arctic cold (which was actually a bit warmer then their usual). While we were experiencing that, the arctic was unseasonably warm!!! Yes its happeneing, yes we are contributing as a species, just how much is debatable but 1% is too much!

Word to the wise- you cant reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason their way into in the first place! Save your time and have the craic with them- if they want to learn they know where to look!

Shame this thread has been dragged down to a some kind of creationist tripe. Its really funny though, the difference in intellects here! Mysterious et al reading from a made up book of complete unfounded rubbish( see all previous posts!) and the rest who seem to live in the real world which is much more fantastic- the world of empirical data and observations (Carl sagans pale blue dot-youtube it!). Its like Einstein vs worzel gummage!

As for climate change -its nice to see so many are learned on the matter, i've never heard a fellow irishmen/women share my views on it. The recent cold weather has led to all the skeptics laughing at the "global warming" theory! Fact is we were experiencing the arctic cold (which was actually a bit warmer then their usual). While we were experiencing that, the arctic was unseasonably warm!!! Yes its happeneing, yes we are contributing as a species, just how much is debatable but 1% is too much!

Word to the wise- you cant reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason their way into in the first place! Save your time and have the craic with them- if they want to learn they know where to look!

Cheers for the post RC, it gets frustrating here when you are a proponent of science in the CT forum! Hopefully the thread will get back on track and get away from this age of aquariaus 2012 tripe soon and get back to discussing climate change. It actually pisses me off so much when people smugly dismiss climate change because we had a few cold weeks, then when you try to explain it to them they look at you like you've 20 heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No you can't but every so often you may get lucky with one, so there's no reason to stop trying.(Carl Sagan believed that every human mind had the potential to be opened to reality.:)) That being said it's the lurkers who are on the fence and at risk of being poisoned by pseudo crap we're really aiming at.

With regard to the "big freeze", 2009 was the 2nd warmest year on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Malty_T wrote: »
    No you can't but every so often you may good lucky so there's no reason to stop trying.:) That being said it's the lurkers who are on the fence and at risk of being poisoned by pseudo crap we're really aiming at.

[/IMG]

Thats a fair point although i always think the unfounded ramblings of mysterious etc would be the best advertisement for reason/logic/science etc!;) Keep the flag flyin!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Stop making swipes at people and their beliefs.

It is a situation where mainstream science is distorted by powerful corporations for vested reasons , so is man-made global warming real , i don't know because i cannot trust anything mainstream science says .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It is a situation where mainstream science is distorted by powerful corporations for vested reasons , so is man-made global warming real , i don't know because i cannot trust anything mainstream science says .
    That's the problem. We're all going to be somewhat prejudiced against views that aren't normally our own, no matter how hard we try to be open minded about them. The only way to be sure is to conduct all the research ourselves, but the topic is so vast and there would be many disciplines we'd have to learn that it makes that option all but impossible without major sacrifice.

I guess we're all stuck between a rock and a hard place. The best we can do is try and tear apart any evidence that's offered up by anyone. If you can't find fault with something then it's possibly (but not neccessarily) reliable. The rest comes down to having a little faith. :D

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    That's the problem. We're all going to be somewhat prejudiced against views that aren't normally our own, no matter how hard we try to be open minded about them. The only way to be sure is to conduct all the research ourselves, but the topic is so vast and there would be many disciplines we'd have to learn that it makes that option all but impossible without major sacrifice.

I guess we're all stuck between a rock and a hard place. The best we can do is try and tear apart any evidence that's offered up by anyone. If you can't find fault with something then it's possibly (but not neccessarily) reliable. The rest comes down to having a little faith. :D

Fair point, and it was pretty much the premise of my OP, apart from I took the view, that due to our lack of expertise, we have no good reason to dismiss the huge body of research that has been conducted and the findings of the IPCC.

I was hoping people would come forward with arguments against the consensus, so, as you said we could tear it apart. A few posters asked genuine questions, and I think myself and the other science advocates did a good job at responding.

What is unhelpful though is when mysterious comes on here soapboxing his opinions without backing them up, if not with evidence, at least a rationale for believing it. I can fully understand peoples frustrations, and while I don't condone it, I can understand their sacarstic dismissals of his posts as "ramblings".

Advertisement