Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No sound on laptop! pls help!

• 16-01-2010 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a HP Pavilion dv6000 ..

No sound at all either on cd's or anything else.

The touchscreen controls work and I can adjust volume from there and mute button turns orange if i press it but no sound.

I've tried control panel, adjusting volume controls, checked that wave is up as i read in a thread here.

I've googled it and have spent last few hours getting brain fried :confused:

I did have to return this laptop to HP as there was a major fault and as far as I know they replaced the motherboard.

I have window xp and avast anti virus. I don't think i've done anything strange to it recently! Is there a secret magic button somewhere I don't know about.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭cml387

Did it work at some point and then stop working?
    Did something change or have you changed someting on the pc for any reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

have a look in device manager.are there any question marks.have you tried external speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

cml387 wrote: »
    Did it work at some point and then stop working?
    Did something change or have you changed someting on the pc for any reason?

Yes it did work fine.. I just tend to have it on mute a lot because I'd have a lot of windows open at once. Then when tried to watch something on youtube and wanted sound .. nothing..tried cd nothing ..

I downloaded something from tvshack --- divx and it also threw on google chrome? But it wasn't working before that.
    I was trying to get video and downloaded new flashplayer? few days ago?
    Just realised I have Avast and McAfee security thingies? would that be it?

thanks

have a look in device manager.are there any question marks.have you tried external speakers.

I'll try device manager and have a look.

I don't have external speakers at the moment but might have to get some tomorrow.

UPDATE!!! 2 HOURS AGO I DOWNLOADED NEW Contenext (sp?) Audio Device as suggested on HP website... no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Try doing a system restore. Might sort it out. Guide here.

• Advertisement

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Try doing a system restore. Might sort it out. Guide here.

will try that now thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ricjoe

go to control panel,administration, services, make sure that windows audio service is enabled.SEE control panel, audio,advanced,click,use this device.eg nforce 50 sound card.Or try f8 safe mode.

I must never try to repair my laptop again!

And just if I do ever ever try, don't do ALL the fixes together (even though they were all appreciated :))

Long story short: I had a Recycle Bin on my desktop, yep that was it! A big empty blue screen with a tinchy winchy Recycle Bin in the corner!:eek:

So brought it back to the shop where I got it and the lovely techie man fixed it!

He did offer to try HP but I said that my language skills just couldn't cope with that again! So I bought small funky looking external speakers! I now have Windows 7 so fingers crossed it all works.

Thanks for all your help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I have a HP Pavilion zd8000 and every so often the sound disappears. When this happens, I usually reboot to get the sound back.
    When the sound is working, I can see in the audio devices that there is a working sound device. Every now and again I'll notice that the task bar will turn white for a few seconds and then if I check the audio devices, none will be listed.
    I'm running the free version of AVG so I don't think it's a virus that's causing this.
    Anyone else have similar problems ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

My friend has the same problem,no sound.Theres a known issue with the dv6000.SEE here http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+126, ie a small cable that goes to power button / speakers needs to be replaced.
    cost 12euro on ebay.
    at some point if the hp does not power on, just lightly press the volume up,hp controls above the keyboard .THE laptop will start as normal,with no sound from internal speakers.
    IF that cable wears out ,the power button will not operate as normal.
    GOOGLE youtube dv6000 no sound .
    OR just leave it as is if you wanna use external speakers.
    You have 2 years gaurantee on laptops/tvs/ electronic devices under eu consumer law .
    Google hp6000 no sound cable 4more info.HER hp6000 worked ok 4 the first 4 years , now sound is gone, power button doesnt work.
    IE it may take another 2 years for the cable to stop working on your laptop.SEE here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLlDLVXvRA4

• Advertisement
Advertisement