Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Servicing costs - Fazer 400

• 16-01-2010 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I went to look at a Fazer 400 today and i'm trying to decide whether to make offer for it as it needs abit of tidying

Back brake disc and pads
    Front fork seals
    some wiring as the front lights dont switch off
    back tyre (160/60R17)
    a good service and general once over, valve clearances, oils, filter etc.

The engine sounds healthy and fired up straight away from cold but there was mayonnaise type goo under the oil cap. The bike has stood for nearly a year in a shed would that cause it (cold weather causing moisture to condense in the oil etc) or does it indicate problems like the head gasket?

How much would i need to budget roughly to get those done and could anybody recommend a mechanic to do this? I'm in south Dublin :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ha ha loads of bikes ya cant turn the lights off on them. Its a safety thing lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Tezzy

seanybiker wrote: »
    ha ha loads of bikes ya cant turn the lights off on them. Its a safety thing lol.

even with the key out of the ignition?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

pads are in and around 25 euro, well for my fazer 600 anyway, and a new disc is bout 160 i think.

And those lights are best left on, no need to have them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mcyclist

Have to say I would be inclined to walk away.

It is a buyers market and you should be able to pick up a bike in better condition. Selling a bike in that condition suggests that the owner has little interest in it and the bike was probably neglected for quite a while. I know I would fix up the few things and at least change the oil before trying to sell.

You can cost for the things you se needs doing now but if the bike has been neglected you can expect further trouble later. Why take the chance when there are many other bikes for sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Tezzy wrote: »

oh right well thats a bit different ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

fazers have parking lights, to turn them on, you lock the bike, and turn it one more step down, maybe the markings are scratched off, click the key one step towards the ignition, should still be locked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I went to look at a Fazer 400 today and i'm trying to decide whether to make offer for it as it needs abit of tidying

Back brake disc and pads
    Front fork seals
    back tyre (160/60R17)

The engine sounds healthy and fired up straight away from cold but there was mayonnaise type goo under the oil cap. The bike has stood for nearly a year in a shed would that cause it (cold weather causing moisture to condense in the oil etc) or does it indicate problems like the head gasket?

How much would i need to budget roughly to get those done and could anybody recommend a mechanic to do this? I'm in south Dublin :)

Walk away.

Head gasket on the way out most likely, and if that's the case it probably isn't very well looked after in general so who knows what will go wrong down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

If you were planning on doing the work yourself then you could give it a go - assuming the price is attractive.
    Back brake disc and pads

brake pistons seize easily on Fazers so a worn disc could be expected to happen quickly if not spotted early on. 50 quid from an online scrapyard?
    Front fork seals

I'd about 75 thou up on a 600 Fazer (which included little highway use) and the fork seals were fine. What's the mileage? Assuming the forks are otherwise good then you're dealing in pennies for a new set of seals if doing them yourself.

? Given your comments above about lights on with ignition off: is this bike a rat?
    back tyre (160/60R17)

It happens :)

Valve clearances is a high mileage job on the Fazer. If low mileage and sounding clattery then beware.

Standing won't cause mayo - which is emulsified (mixed) oil and water. A little can be expected under normal circumstances.

Not doing it yourself. Hmm.

Assuming you sourced/supplied the disc then I'd budget a couple of hours for this + cleaning up the brake caliper pistons - the disc retention bolts would likely need work to free them so budget for a set of new bolts too.

That said, I seldom use a back brake :)

2 hours labour e80
    1 set of pads e25
    1 disc e50

The fork seals would take a couple of hours + oil + seals

2 hours labour e80
    1 set of seals e30
    1 oil e10

The lights is unknown but supposing a solution with no expensive parts

e80

The tyre'll cost what you want it to from 100 - 160 quid I suppose. A general service and look over say another 2 hours (80 quid) and 30 quid for oil/filter?

Say 600 quid? Getting expensive to my mind. Unless it's going for a song.

Advertisement