Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have to turn off and on Netopia Router to..

• 16-01-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

..connect to the internet..
    i will then have a connection for different lengths of time before it just goes dead..and i restart again ?
    The router has been working fine for years, dont have access to a replacement yet.

Any ideas whats going on ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Are you connecting wirelessly?

Could there be another router nearby on the same/similar channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I have just checked with an older router, everything worked fine and then the conection died. I think it must be software related. I using Win 7 and connected via the ethernet port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

stylie wrote: »
    ..connect to the internet..
    i will then have a connection for different lengths of time before it just goes dead..and i restart again ?
    The router has been working fine for years, dont have access to a replacement yet.

Any ideas whats going on ?

What IP address does your PC have when connected? ...... are you getting an IP address from the router or are you bypassing the router and getting a WAN address on the PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

What IP address does your PC have when connected? ...... are you getting an IP address from the router or are you bypassing the router and getting a WAN address on the PC?

I dont know what you mean and i dont know how to check. This problem only started today after months of no trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

stylie wrote: »
    I dont know what you mean and i dont know how to check. This problem only started today after months of no trouble

I have never used Win7 so cannot make any useful suggestions .... you could try ipconfig to see if that will give you the information about your connection on the PC.
    You will need to log into the router with a browser to examine the wireless connection and setup, but if the same problem exists on two routers then the implication is that the OS on your PC may be at fault.

Maybe deleting and recreating the connection on the PC would improve things ......

• Advertisement
Advertisement