Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat but no hot water

Options
  • 16-01-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Well, I've had the opposite problem before (hot water, but it wouldn't feed the radiators), but now it's the other way around.

If the boiler is on, it heats the radiators (don't need it today!) but does not go to the showers.

I have turned the thermostat to 0 and it doesn't have any effect. Can a thermostat be re-set, or is it knackered?

Anyone have this problem?

I've now turned all the rads off and switched the boiler completely off; waiting for the house/rads to cool down then will try again, but it's bizarre. Even if the rads are heating, you should still get some hot water in the shower.

Perhaps its a DIY forum issue, but if anyone in C-Park has had the same problem please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I think there's an airlock on the hot water system. I've switched off all rads and run the boiler. The boiler works, I can feel a very hot pipe in the hotpress running (presumably from the boiler) into the cylinder in there, but no hot water comes out of the showers or taps -- just luke warm at best.

I've tried the simplest fixes that I've been able to find suggested on DIY forums, without any luck, so I'll have to try to get a plumber in as soon as.

So, it's probably not a Greystones/CHarlesland issue if mods want to delete or move this elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

there should be an automatic air release valve along the same pipework as the thermostat in the hot press...could this be functioning incorrectly? If there isn't one, then you need one!

Also, just check the pressue gauge on the Gas Boiler. Should be at 1 bar....up to 2 bar max.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Loopers

Our heating which is set to come on at 6 a.m. didn't work this morning. The pressure had dropped below 1.0. I'm presuming it was because the water was cut off this morning. Do you think it will fix itself or will I have to try and release some of the pressure with the valve. I hope not! I had employed a 'plumber' or so he claimed to be, last year who broke the black lever on the valve so I think I'd probably have to pay someone to do it now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BonnieD

Having a similar problem (in the court). Heat but no hot water (even when immersion is put on). Anyone recommend a good and reliable plumber in the area?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Loopers wrote: »
    Our heating which is set to come on at 6 a.m. didn't work this morning. The pressure had dropped below 1.0. I'm presuming it was because the water was cut off this morning. Do you think it will fix itself or will I have to try and release some of the pressure with the valve. I hope not! I had employed a 'plumber' or so he claimed to be, last year who broke the black lever on the valve so I think I'd probably have to pay someone to do it now.:(

You can turn the pressure up by turning a tap, which in our house (2 bed mid) is behind the tank in hot press. As this is upstairs and the pressure gauge downstairs you need a second person to shout when to turn the tap back off. If you leave the tap on too long the pressure will force water out of a pipe behind boiler and can damage your system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have turned the thermostat to 0 and it doesn't have any effect.
    Are you referring to the stat on the wall? If so this has nothing to do with the hot water for taps, showers etc.
    If there is a stat on the cylinder this could be the issue.
    Can a thermostat be re-set, or is it knackered?
    Stats can die, yes.
    I think there's an airlock on the hot water system.
    If water is coming out of the shower "normally" it is not an air lock issue.

Here is how many of these systems work:

The boiler heats the water. The hot water is pumped via a circulation pump in the boiler to the hot press. In the hot press is a small motorized valve (or often 2). When the boiler is on and the stat allows the valve(s) open.

If there are 2 valves 1 allows the boiler to heat the rads, the other allows the boiler to heat the water for taps, showers etc.

These zone valves are designed to fail closed. So if they stop working they can prevent water being heated for either the rads or the taps.

Also if the stat has failed this could prevent the valve from opening.

The good news is, they are cheap to replace and they have a manual override! I suggest that you post this on the plumbing forum in boards.ie
    Normally it is the motorized part of the valve that fails. This can be replaced easily without removing the valve itself from the pipe. 10 minute job. The valve can be bought in Chadwicks or Heat Merchants in Bray for about €30ish

From what you have described your issue sounds like a valve is simply not opening.

Good luck!!

Advertisement