Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira elite St Shower installation

• 16-01-2010 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I have connected everything up water and electricity,
    Turned back on all the water and electricity and the water isn't flowing through the shower.

Why isn't the water flowing through the device when i turn it on?
    It says that it is automatically primes by itself.
    But it doesn't seem that is the case
    There is enough water pressure.

Is there something i have missed or how do i prime it myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It does sound like an air lock. When trying to get a shower working like this, make sure the temp is turned right down to cold so that the heating element doesn't kick in.

I'm not familiar with this model of shower, check the manual but there should be a bleed screw on it. Open up the bleeder and see what comes out.

I would also try unscrew the filter slightly and make sure a dribble of water comes out, to be 100% sure water is getting that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Just as the above said, don't turn up heat until you have water. Leave shower at full cold setting that is when shower pumps strongest. When shower pumps it also sucks too so you could prime the pipe work by removing head, letting hose lie in shower tray and running shower @ full cold for 30 sec to a min, and no more.

If that wont work, take off casing, at pipe inlet you should see a round shaped plastic cap with a line through it (reinforcement) you can crack that open by hand until water comes out.

If shower bleed fails, go up to attic and disconnect last shower pipe fitting from attic tank, you could have a long pipe run across attic, with pex you'll have plenty of dips in pipework, enough dips to trap air, because attic tank is not that much higher than pipework, no pressure is in pipe work to force out trapped air. By opening last fitting you are opening up pipework to atmospheric pressure, the air in pipe will want to get out, water will come, let it drain out into a bucket or basin, hold pipe as low as possible, only recconect when you have a good flow of water.

Best of luck, dont forget to check for leaks in attic and water connection to shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cathaloc2

Thanks for the help
    Water was getting into the system but wouldnt work but now
    It would seem that the primer has worked,
    I gave up and went for dinner
    When i returned to my surprise the shower worked.
    It never stated in the manual you had to leave the machine for 15-20mins to prime..
    Now everything runs smoothly and no leaks
    Thanks once again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

In my experience the mira elite(I have one because of this) primes itself. It usually takes around 1 hour but. despite what the manual says.

Whenfitting I use to see all the plumbers primeing these themselves. I never corrected them because i figured if my price did not change and the customer gets the shower quicker.....

A little tip I always rec with the mira elite. Soak the head in 70% water 30% vinager once a month for about an hour. It keeps the head clean and lime free. If the area is full of lime you will have to increas the % of water to vinager. Use clear vinager as malt stains and wash the solution of of the shower head obv. Be carefull not to loose the rubber washer between the head and the hose.

Joey I haven't fitted any self prime showers not that I know of anyway, is their some kind of internal float vent that allows air out and seals once water hits the float?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

items wrote: »
    Joey I haven't fitted any self prime showers not that I know of anyway, is their some kind of internal float vent that allows air out and seals once water hits the float?

No not as such. Run it cold and if its not through give it a few minutes. However as I was explaining. I see a lot of plumbers allowing the water through with the shower off and then connecting it at the back. This is fine if your quick and the shower is done on pex but an imposs prospect if you use copper.

After I fit shower I either run @ full cold for a few secs, failing that I'll open case and crack open connection to shower and let water come out, I don't recommend DIY'er's doing it as they might not be able to control a live pipe once opened, might even break the plastic that goes into plumbing fitting.

I think I understand it now, self priming must be priming from pump, suction side brings water to pump.

Advertisement