Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMA Analysts

• 16-01-2010 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi Lads,

I was wondering who are your favourite MMA Analysts (both Internationally and if there are any decent lads nationally) ?

I remember there was one really articulate lad fighting at a Chaos event I was at just outside Derry around March last year.

Also if there are any good MMA podcasts you'd recommend ?

I'm just new to the sport having got into it in the last year or so through two mates and I'm trying to soak up as much info as possible !

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

At the last Cage Contender show we had Barry Oglesby commentating and he was 1st class!!!!

Here is a link to some of his work......... LINK :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

MMA Live is excellent..Usually Kenny Florian and Stephan Bonnar are on it..A Guy named Franklin McNeil is on it too and always has exclusive news. The presenter is decent aswell.

That is on ESPN channel 417 on Sky and also on ESPN.com

I recommend you look it up anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Stephen Quadros, Joe Rogan and Bas Rutten.

In that order too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I usually listen to Sherdog's previews and reviews of shows. They do other types of shows too:

http://www.sherdog.com/radio/

I also listen to the audio shows on F4WOnline but it is a mainly a Pro Wrestling site and a members one at that.

You didnt request some thing like this but I'd highly recommend a book called Total MMA if you are looking for knowledge on the sport and it is pitched at newer fans. It is available in places like Easons:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-MMA-Inside-Ultimate-Fighting/dp/1550228463

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thechampishere

what no goldie :P every ufc looks like his first mma event, like frank mir myself more so than when he's fighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Frank Mir and bas rutten, if they ever teamed up id probably cream myself out of sheer excitement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Stephen Quadros, Joe Rogan and Bas Rutten.

In that order too.

I can't stand Quadros, he is annoying.

My favourites are the Mir and his other commentator [can't think of his name], Rutten, Jens Pulver and Franklin Mc Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Magpie87

Cheers lads great response.

I like the look of that book too Rovert. After I polish off a book I'm reading about Angelo Dundee and Hanging From the Rafters I think that's next on the list.

I thought Mir was just a fighter (and came across as a bit smug in some of his interview - is he a Dunphyesque analyst ?)

Podcasting the Sherdog: Beatdown now - will have a listen when I hit the gym tomorrow !

I wish there'd be more focus on MMA in the Irish Sports media - I think there's a serious niché to be filled there. The only thing I've ever seen is a woefully unbalanced documentary on BBC 2 Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

f4wonline.com has great MMA coverage but it is subscription based (and also a mainly pro wrestling site). Dave Meltzer is really good on them and a guy called Mike Coughlin has some great analysis.

I also find the yahoo mma page to be decent. Some decent stuff on it.

Mick O'Hagan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Joe Rogan and Mike have been worse than ever of late, Mike spends more time plugging the sponsers and both yak on about unimportant drivel durring the fights, I agree Frank Mir and his partner on WEC are good.

However ALL pale in comparison to the great Mike "The Voice" schiavello (Sp?) this guy really is the daddy when I comes to calling fights. If you have never heard him call a fight I suggest some youtube-age!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

calex71 wrote: »
    Joe Rogan and Mike have been worse than ever of late, Mike spends more time plugging the sponsers and both yak on about unimportant drivel durring the fights, I agree Frank Mir and his partner on WEC are good.

Mike Goldberk is a terrible commentator, he always gets the wrong end of the stick when Rogan say's someone does something he'll pick it up and go on about the other lad instead as he just does not know whats going on!

Rogan, He is so Biased and just goes on about BJJ all the time, i love BJJ but know when someone is talking drivel and he acts like as if he is the most important man in the UFC, There only there to keep things consistent so the fans are used to the product.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Mike Goldberk is a terrible commentator, he always gets the wrong end of the stick when Rogan say's someone does something he'll pick it up and go on about the other lad instead as he just does not know whats going on!

Rogan, He is so Biased and just goes on about BJJ all the time, i love BJJ but know when someone is talking drivel and he acts like as if he is the most important man in the UFC, There only there to keep things consistent so the fans are used to the product.

Yeah it is pretty much video game announcing with all the sound bytes.

Mike Goldberg was so much better in his first year with UFC then he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Frank Mir and bas rutten, if they ever teamed up id probably cream myself out of sheer excitement

Mir is good but I was watching WEC 45 and 46 and he gives out a good bit about fighter's inferior jujitsu. Fair enough he was probably right but he kept on saying it a good bit.

thats one of the reasons i love frank mir, he speaks his mind, not to mention when the fights on the ground he knows whats going on, i half to turn my tv down at this stage when mike goldberg is commentating. hes got like 3 phrases

"oh he caught him with the left hook"
    "AND HE IS ROCKED"
    "IT IS ALL OVER!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

"IT IS ALL OVER!"

That usually comes when he's in the middle of spouting some other drivel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

If you were talking about the commentator at our event that was JP kerr..

I think Rogan gets more flack than he deserves I think he brings a lot of energy and at least knows what he is talking about.

I enjoyed Bas as well. Never really liked quadros or goldie

Any of you guys have any opinions on:

Josh Gross

Eddie Goldman

Zach Arnold

The three are more writers if anything rather than MMA analysts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Dave Meltzer is leagues ahead of everyone else. He's the best sports journalist, period.

Dave Meltzer is leagues ahead of everyone else. He's the best sports journalist, period.

Just ask Frank Deford.

Him as the best sports journalist is an arguable point but I can’t think anyone works as hard as him. Writing what 20,000-60,000 words a week for the guts of 30 years on a weekly basis for most of that. Along with all proofing and fact checking work he does for other authors and journalists among other stuff.

He probably wasted his life covering Pro Wrestling and MMA. :pac:

• Advertisement

Anyone else ever wonder how did Goldbergs voice change so much over the years, it's like two different people if you compare his voice from the early ones to post 2000(ish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Josh gross is mma's best journalist imo.

Rogan is probably the best commentator. Bas was the best when he was in pride but hasnt been very good since unfortunatetly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

are we talking avbout on air analyst or radio/print journalists as they are not necessarily the same skill set

i do like josh gross - very much no frills analysis & worth checking our his radio show on sports illustrated website - i would like to hear him on air - maybe a bit to much of a straight shooter but that alone would be a nice change

eddie goldman is pretty poor with almost comical outbursts - because he was been about since the dark days doesnt make him terribly good ( he used to commentate on old ifc shows)

i used to enjoy ryan bennett & was a regular listener to mmaweeklys radio show before his death and liked his work with many dif orgs as an on air commentator

jens pulver has commentaed on some ufcs, ifc etc and is quite a good commentator

i like pat melitich - he was been on a few strikeforce shows recently and is really good - one of the better commentators out there, greaty analysis and not schiling for any one fighter (mir take note)

listening to frank shamrock turm every point of conversation into something about himself is painful to listen to

i cant stand schiveallo - a good commentator frames the moment & adds context - not screams and thows out tied catchphrases - thats plus his alomst zero undersatanding of mma really doesnt help

bas rutten seems like a great guy but him 'i'm a crazy guy' routine is best in very small doses

the m-1 challenge commentry team arent too bad

cmb. wrote: »
    and not schiling for any one fighter (mir take note)

yo cmb, im really happy for you. I'm gonna let you finish, but Miguel Torres is one of the best fighters of all time. OF ALL TIME!

West.png

One of my absolute favourite MMA podcasts is now free on Heavy.com:

http://www.heavy.com/specials/tough-talk-mma-radio-at-heavy

Check it out

rovert wrote: »
    One of my absolute favourite MMA podcasts is now free on Heavy.com:

http://www.heavy.com/specials/tough-talk-mma-radio-at-heavy

Check it out

http://heavytoughtalk.hipcast.com/deluge/779007c6-6fef-e865-6268-a08b4b397168.mp3

These guys have boards.ie fav Michael Bisping and Elvis Sinosic

This show happened :eek:
    Jack Encarnacao returned to The Sherdog Radio Network for a special edition of "Beatdown." Joining Jack was PRIDE and UFC veteran Don Frye, Yahoo! Sports' Dave Meltzer and professional wrestling legend Paul Heyman

http://www.sherdog.com/radio/Marathon-Paul-Heyman-Don-Frye-and-Dave-Meltzer-1435

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

What no Gareth A Davies? :P

The most cringeworthy stuff ever was seeing him on the Setanta show interviewing Royce Gracie. After 2 months of calling him Royce instead of Hoyce, someone must have set him straight because he was going to interview him.

Then to his face he called him the "Holls Hoyce" of MMA, like a big kid expecting a big laugh and a standing ovation.

*tumbleweed rolls past*...

Advertisement