Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass Players - Ever Use a Capo?

• 16-01-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

I saw someone mention on another thread that bass players should use a capo because it would make things easier. Typically I can't find it now :mad:

Anyway, I have never used a capo while playing bass. In fact, up until I read that post, I had never even thought about it :). How about the rest of you bass players?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

It's on the thread moaning about no real musicians on this site.

Don't see where a capo would be used myself unless some mighty fine chordage was in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I tried it before and don't find it particularly useful. Maybe if I was playing a 7 or 8 string abomination it would work but I just play 4 stringers. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I've never seen a bassist use one. That's not to say they dont, but I think it's pretty rare. Here is a link to "Talk Bass" on the subject.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560595&highlight=capo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It's on the thread moaning about no real musicians on this site.
    Ah, so it is, I'm not sure how I managed to miss it earlier :).
    Dord wrote: »
    I tried it before and don't find it particularly useful. Maybe if I was playing a 7 or 8 string abomination it would work but I just play 4 stringers. :)
    Can you get capos that would be that wide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

At one stage I experimented with d-standard and using a capo on the 2nd fret for songs I had to pedal open strings in e. It lacked the open string sound I was more used to but it worked ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

It's good if you're using an alternative tuning and there's a drone going on or something. I know the bassist uses one on the new Vampire Weekend album

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Fatgoogle

Ive used a capo when playing sometimes i laugh by vic wooten. Just so i dont have to retune any of the strings. I mess around with them other times now and again.
    Kasabians bass player uses one now and again doesnt he. Their was a thread on basschat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 LSKT88

I never seen or even thought of using a capo on my or anyone elses bass, kinda want to try it now myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

It had never even occurred to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Advertisement