Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haiti Donations

Options
  • 16-01-2010 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

Hey Poker Forum in general.

Many will know me from live tournaments and from being a part of the community here. I havnt been posting much recently due to being busy (and initially hoping to mark my 2k post with something worthy). I cant think of a better reason than this.

I recently took part in a UCDCO trip to Haiti. It involved alumni, past volunteers heading to Haiti to build two houses over a 2 week period. I travelled from 27th of December and returned on Monday. There was a total of 12 of us in the group. Due to the generosity of poker players who i contacted i raised the required amount of money to make the trip happen. Its now i look at the poker community again and hope to see simular generosity when its thoroughly needed.

The Quake to hit Haiti was the biggest Quake in 200 years, and we only managed to miss it by 2 days. I feel very very lucky to be back home safe and sound. The capital which we flew from is one of the areas most badly hit. There has been so much devastation to the country, a country which if you say was previously already on its knees, is now lying on the absolute flat of its back, and needs help immediately.

During my time in haiti i grew to learn how generous the Haitian people were, even though they had so little. The Irish government have already donated 1million euro to the cause. UCDVO have been actively collecting money through street collections, and various other forms of fundraising. I'd like to ask, in the most polite andd humble way possible, for those who can afford it and wish, to make a contribution to this cause. Whether it be by running an event, or something as small as donating 1euro, to avoid cliches, every little really really does help.

Here is a direct link to where you can donate money if you so wish so;

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/haiti_earthquake_fund/

and here is the charities website that i was involved with;

www.ucdvo.org

If anyone wants to ship money on site, then please let me know and i will ensure it gets lodged accordingly, but i would urge people to use the above link to deposit directly, if it is at all possible.

I hope I am not out of place posting this in the poker section, and if so i apoogize to the mods. I also hope this doesnt sound as another one of the many charities that we all get "contacted" or "hassled" by regularly, if so i also apologize for this.

Please pm me with any other questions anyone may have.

Thank you very much guys

Donal O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Donal, I forgot to give you money for this before you went but I will transfer 1 buyin to your PokerStars account and you can send it on. I think I was having troubles before when I tried through the link you send me before. Msn me your PS account sure.

Pauric

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

May I suggest donating through pokerstars.

As stars are matching each donation dollar for dollar, you're effectively donating double.

Makes sense surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

i wasnt aware of Pstars doing this. Could you enlighten me further please?

If people want to donate through this way, please do so. If people want to ship to my acc and ill do so through dannys suggestion, then also please do so. And if anyone wants to just use the link i had above, then also, please do so. Its just a matter of what method is easiest for everyone to use.

Thanks again.

(ps 2k post! wooooooooooooooooooooooop)

Edit: "sharb8" on stars if anyone wants to send this way.

Or if there is a user name regarding what Danny said above, maybe people can just transfer directly to this. Whatever suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

tbh i would rather send my donation to a boardsie. Semibluff, is that you stars name above, if so i can ship some cash to you.

• Advertisement

yes that is my username on stars. If you would rather send it to me then please feel free to do so, i will transfer accordingly. Its all about trying to make the ease of transfer for everyone. It would be unreal if we managed to raise a few thousand, so everything appreciated.

"sharb8" on stars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Thanks i just shipped $75, ill ship some more in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

Fulltilt are matching it also, just register for the tournaments which start at 18:00ET Sunday 17th - theres loads of different buyins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

Every $ also matched at Cake poker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Paul Spillane

May I suggest donating through pokerstars.

As stars are matching each donation dollar for dollar, you're effectively donating double.

Makes sense surely?

Certainly does. Puts a BB into perspective, close call eh sb. All praise to you btw.

• Advertisement

Thank you so far everyone for such generous contributions. Please do keep them coming

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

the donations through stars go to red cross which is great of course but i think Donal and the ucd lads need to raise money for the support group which is very underfunded and a very good cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭PokerPissTaker

$300 Shipped. Delighted to hear the site's are matching the donations as I was unaware until now. Nice to see people on here trying to encourage people to donate too. Fair play to all involved.

PPT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Are Ipoker matching donations or is it only Stars & Full Tilt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

dvdfan wrote: »
    Ah sure Ipoker have a few grand lying around after scamming the winner of their latest promotion out of his winnings, I'm sure it'll go to a good home :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

iPoker sent round a mail today regarding a charity tournament tournament for Haiti.

They will add the prize money will be put up by ipoker and all entry fees will be matched by them and donated to charity.

There will also be holding tournaments for people who wish to donate money

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

i presume they will be doing that sometime next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

iPoker sent round a mail today regarding a charity tournament tournament for Haiti.

They will add the prize money will be put up by ipoker and all entry fees will be matched by them and donated to charity.

There will also be holding tournaments for people who wish to donate money

This tourney, any details of when its on, how much its to enter? So ipoker put up the prize money, does double my entry fee get sent to Haiti? As in i donte $100 and $200 gets sent?

Mainly what i want to do is donate $100 but take advantage of someone who will double that, my moneybookers account is frozen and i gave up emailing them as they dont answer so i can only do a transfer from VC as i dont have anything on stars or full tilt, if ipoker were doing something where i put in $100 and they send $200 then this would be great otherwise id need to find someone that can take a donation on VC and deposit the money in stars for me either to Semibluff or that tourney where they double your donation, if anyone can help pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bigfeather

Wow didn't know the poker sites were doing this, I made my donation through iTunes but will throw some more in

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

This tourney, any details of when its on, how much its to enter? So ipoker put up the prize money, does double my entry fee get sent to Haiti? As in i donte $100 and $200 gets sent?

Mainly what i want to do is donate $100 but take advantage of someone who will double that, my moneybookers account is frozen and i gave up emailing them as they dont answer so i can only do a transfer from VC as i dont have anything on stars or full tilt, if ipoker were doing something where i put in $100 and they send $200 then this would be great otherwise id need to find someone that can take a donation on VC and deposit the money in stars for me either to Semibluff or that tourney where they double your donation, if anyone can help pm me

The tournament will take place on 24th Jan an will be a $10 buyin.

Payout structure:
    o 1st place: $1,000
    o 2nd place: $500
    o 3rd place: $250
    o 4th – 10th places: $100

Holding tank tournaments=Calibri]Game Type[/font][/font]
    January 24th 2010, 18:00 GMT Hold'em NL $1
    January 24th 2010, 18:00 GMT Hold'em NL $5
    January 24th 2010, 18:00 GMT Hold'em NL $10
    January 24th 2010, 18:00 GMT Hold'em NL $20
    January 24th 2010, 18:00 GMT Hold'em NL $50
    January 24th 2010, 18:00 GMT Hold'em NL $100
    January 24th 2010, 18:00 GMT Hold'em NL $250
    January 24th 2010, 18:00 GMT Hold'em NL $500

· Register to any of the above “no play” tournaments. Please note that these are not real tournaments and will not actually play. They are another way to donate funds in order to support.

· There are no fees in these tournaments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I think Playtech are Israeli.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

ianmc38 wrote: »
    I think Playtech are Israeli.

Are you suggesting that they would probably rake the "tournament"?

SirAlecGuinness_OliverTwist_Fagin.jpg

RACIST :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

delete that one... will reg for one of the tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

semibluff wrote: »
    yes that is my username on stars. If you would rather send it to me then please feel free to do so, i will transfer accordingly. Its all about trying to make the ease of transfer for everyone. It would be unreal if we managed to raise a few thousand, so everything appreciated.

"sharb8" on stars

$100 sent to you on stars from Kxxxxo

Advertisement