Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sharing the Knowledge - Phase 2

• 16-01-2010 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Ok - Trying to gauge what is going to happen and when.
    There are a few questions that have to be answered by the people GIVING the seminars and those WILLING TO ATTEND!

Those giving the classes/talks:
    Does Sunday the 21st or Sunday the 28th of February suit? Confirm if you are still available to do the suggested talk.

For those attending:
    Read the list of suggested talks below and post whether you are interested ~ gauge whether they are worth running ~ you could also say whether either of the 2 dates above suit.

SUGGESTED TALKS: ~ Copied from AnCatDubh

Composition and basic camera technique
    - Petercox~Not Available

Sports Photography - Paulw~Not Available

"Now you've a decent camera in your hand take it out of Auto" - AnCatDubh

live C&C session - Panel / All hands on deck.

whips and college notes - melekalikimaka (i may have taken liberty with the title biggrin.gif)

Weddings and Event photography - Borderfox (dependent on timing)

Perfecting your printing / print output - stcstc (depending on dates)

Music photography - DotOrg~Not on Sundays

topic to be confirmed - eas

Street Photography: - Covey

Organisation:
    Venue
    - Possibly supported by DCU Fotosoc - mehfesto2
    - DCC (Dublin Camera Club) on Sundays - CabanSail
    • Tullie / offer to help with organising
    • Sleepy / offer to help with organising

Many Thanks Folks!

Comments

Can anyone attend? Or is it only people somehow connected to some photography oranisation or to the location it's being held at? I'd like to attend, but rarely ever venture into Dublin. For this, i'd definitely go though.

I'm a complete beginner, so I admit, I'd feel a little uneasy surrounded by people who are practically experts.

As for how interested I'd be in the classes:

Composition and basic camera technique - Very Interested

Sports Photography - Interested

"Now you've a decent camera in your hand take it out of Auto" - Very Interested

live C&C session - Not too sure how it'd work?

whips and college notes - Ehh...?

Weddings and Event photography - Interested

Perfecting your printing / print output - Not overly interested, but would attend if it were not hassle to do so (ie; I don't ever see the day I'll be printing my own stuff, though I do see how it could be very helpful for others)

Music photography - Interested

Street Photography - Interested

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

I'm a beginner/novice aswell, so all are welcome. Everybody is coming to gain info and may be just as much a novice as you - don't be scared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Oops sorry 21st is out for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

I don't know if I'm free that weekend or rather I should say that I won't know til much closer to the date. But I very much want to attend this event and unless I'm working I will be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I'm in and don't mind the date.

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    So, *if* it could be organised, *if* the venue would support it, *if* we had someone willing to lead a number of practical sessions, *if* we could find a model or three that would model for the day perhaps on a TFCD basis.

Oh boy, but that's a lot of *if*'s folks.

This might suit some commercial providers as a way of promoting their lighting systems perhaps.

Well someone posted one model ~ my sis will do the make-up.
    Anybody know any commercial providers? ~ that is not my forte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I said earlier that I can provide a Lastolite Hi-Lite with a D-Lite 4 light kit for studio shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm interested for sure, esp in

-composition and basic camera technique

-"Now you've a decent camera in your hand take it out of Auto" - Very Interested

-live C&C session

-Music photography

-Street Photography

And I'm a total noob, NOOBARAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

And I'm pretty sure any of the dates suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I will attend regardless of which date it is held on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭dinneenp

SUGGESTED TALKS: ~ Copied from AnCatDubh

Composition and basic camera technique - interested

Sports Photography - very interested

"Now you've a decent camera in your hand take it out of Auto" - extremely interested

live C&C session - interested

whips and college notes - interested

Weddings and Event photography - hmmm

Perfecting your printing / print output - hmmm

Music photography - interested

Either date hopefully ok.
    As an idea- could you get a professional/shop involved? Maybe something as simple as a draw for free voucher or something, or else a free session with a photographer (they'd get publicity...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Looks like the original date of the 28th I suggested will clash with an absolutely hectic weekend. Otherwise I would take over the sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

21st is definitely out for me, more than likely the 28th too.

I'll step out of potential speakers, but may come for the talks if possible on the 28th.

good luck all

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

notes... like i can pass em around... dont think it requires a talk... and maybe some specficness on it, i have alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I would like to come along to this, whatever date suits.

If they are of any use I have a HD projector & free standing screen that can be used, can also bring along in a notebook with CS4 & a card reader as well if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

-Perfecting your printing / print output
    -Street Photography

These are what I'd be really interested in. I will attend regardless of which date it is held on. I'll throw my name in if ye want a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

I'd be interested in any talks as its all quite new to me.. and would pick up something from any talk I reckon. Unfortunately won't know til nearer the date if able to come to Dublin.. :)

Anyone willing to present something on flash??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I don't know if it has been mentioned but would it be possible to record it and upload it somewhere for people who can't go on the day or even stream it live? Just a suggestion:)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Im interested in most of the talks and either dates suits,can give a hand on the day if needed. Can get company van for w,end if anything needs moving.

I was already thinking of the recording - live feed requires broadband. ~ this is what I did for my last job and was just going to get a lend of the equipment.

Don't see us - the organisers - requiring anything big moved (sure I will be proved wrong)

Please note I update the first post as to whether speakers are available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

whips and college notes - melekalikimaka (i may have taken liberty with the title biggrin.gif)

Make sure he turns up this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am interested and both weekends are free so far. I am interested mostly in pre-print preparation for STSC's machines and hearing new thoughts and ideas on other topics won't hurt me. In the worst case, I'll bring Jaffas ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Very interested in this. Particularly street and wedding photography

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Both dates sound good so far for moi, looking forward to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Also very interested in attending!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

I can attend either date and am interested as a beginner in the following topics:

Composition and basic camera technique
    Sports Photography
    "Now you've a decent camera in your hand take it out of Auto"
    live C&C session
    whips and college notes
    Weddings and Event photography
    Street Photography

I'll keep an eye on the forum postings in the meantime and look forward to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'd like to try and get to this if possible and I'm free both dates. These are the ones I'd be most interested in:
    • Composition and basic camera technique
    • "Now you've a decent camera in your hand take it out of Auto"
    • Street Photography
    • Sports Photography

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭fermoyboy

-Sports Photography
    -Wedding/Event Photography

I'd be very interested in those two and would also be interested in taking in the other talks if time permitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Sure count me in too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Both dates suit me, I'd love to go to all of them if possible!

What's the plan here anyway?

Will all talks be on the same day, or will they be split out over the two weeks? :confused:

I could probably make it either date, but I'd prefer the later one (28th).

One day - was trying to work with the speakers to see which date was better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    How's this coming along, is someone keeping track of amount of people interested, willing to present etc?
    Any date picked yet?

(I have 3 boards friends that'd be interested in attending but haven't stated so in this thread...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I could probably toss out something on IR.

Yes - speakers are in contact with me. Sunday is an issue for one, dates are an issue for two.

As for set date I am waiting on Mehfesto to get back to me - Student slacker hasn't been on (most likely exams) - too see what he might be able to offer in DCU. The DCC looks good though - only sundays - due to it having a studio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Fenster wrote: »
    I could probably toss out something on IR.

I'm there with bells on if you do.

Well if the dates don't suit the speakers, why not put it back a few weeks?

Personally, I'd prefer to wait longer for an all out nWo style effort, than rush something that's just going to fall apart along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Dum dee dum. I just want to confirm now that I *can* give a talk on digital infrared photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

all sounds great, but just wondering how this world all work in one day? Or how long will each talk last?

Last time was about 40-45 minutes!

• Advertisement

Has this died a death ... again:D;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It seems to have stalled.

I am away from Feb 27 to Mar 13.

Is Feb 21 possible?

Feb 21 is out for me. Also big Photowalk on so I'd imagine others maybe too.

*That's* what's on the weekend of the Trim walk - been trying to remember why the date was familiar...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

We had the DCC Council meeting last night. The IPF have now booked the room for the Regional Round of the Wildlife Photographs.

So it will have to be another Sunday if we are using the room at DCC.

Don't think a place to hold it is a problem, but a lack of enthusiasm !

yes this has hit a bit of a stump.... where's Mehfesto gone? ..... speakers not available on those dates.... etc, etc, etc. Plus I haven't given it much thought over the last week... been busy.

Is there really any point in keeping this going ?

I think its more logistics and organising than lack of interest TBH. Design by committee type thing... Maybe if we were just to set a date and venue in March or something and whatever happens happens. Otherwise we'll be going around the houses forever.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

sineadw wrote: »
    *That's* what's on the weekend of the Trim walk - been trying to remember why the date was familiar...

Nah! The Trim walk is on the 20th, not the 21st - unless of course you're one of those staying in Brogans and dragging it in to the 21st;);)

• Advertisement
Advertisement