Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Rear Fog Lamp Question

• 16-01-2010 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to find out whether having a defective factory fitted rear fog lamp is an NCT failure. The lamp and lens are fine but the switch has failed and because it's an awkward replacement job it's a bit pricey. I know that the rules are changing in April to include a formal check of the fog lamp but from reading current rules I'm not 100% clear as to whether it would get through.

Has anyone put a car through with a similar issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

all i know is that they didnt check mine, (I have had about 10 nct's done)
    dosnt mean they wont.
    you should put it through anyway, if they find a problem then fix it ,
    if they dont you wont have to .

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Rear fog light-not part of the test.......Yet. That might change in April, but at the moment its not part of the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I already told the owner make sure they put it through before April when the extra rules are added. The problem is that if it does fail for it the car is sufficiently old that they'd have to start seriously considering whether it's worth fixing. The part's cheap but the job to put it in won't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

op could you not wire up an after market switch. can be got in a motor-factors for about a fiver. a relay and some wire plus a fuse and it could be got working. just an idea...

Could be worth considering alright. It sounds like it should pass anyway in which case the owner can survive without it. If it makes it through this NCT it'll likely be it's last anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

in that case let it in for the test and if it only fails on fog light wire up a cheap switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

My car had no rear foglamps being a US car, and it passed no problem. Car passed last July.
    Now this is a requirement in most EU countries and I would not be surprised if it would be part of the NCT tests sometimes soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's not part of the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

If he has a rear end shunt in the fog let us know! Cheers for making the roads more dangerous..

btw.. I bet a none functioning standard safety light will invalidate his insurance!

Lovely! There's always 'one'. Where the person in question lives and when they're on the roads, they've pretty much never had to drive in fog. If the person in question were in a position where they actually had cause to use the fog lamp they'd be the first to worry about it and get it fixed.

Also, enough with this 'invalidated insurance' bull**** - once the policy is active the insurance company pays out then considers (and generally avoids) a recovery litigation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement