Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had depression?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

illiop wrote: »
    I’m terrified even writing this and I feel like an idiot, but sometimes I think I may be suffering from depression. But I don’t know if I am or I’m just being a melodramatic attention seeker, or maybe I just need to get some things off my chest. Whichever way I feel so boxed in, there is nothing I can do about any of these things and I need to admit it before I explode.

I don’t even exactly know what it is to be depressed and I certainly don’t have any reason to be so, my life is good. All I know is that on and off for years, and more so in the last nine months or so, I feel so down about everything. I feel worthless and inadequate all of the time and I don’t know why.

I’ve never been able to talk about problems, to me they seem insignificant in comparison to other peoples’, and not anything that can be helped. It’s not that I don’t have friends I could confide in but what could they do? And I am always really paranoid that people don’t like me as much as they let on/I imagine, I’d hate to think I was pouring my heart out to someone and they were thinking “Why the hell is she telling me?”

They only time I do speak about things that bother me is when I’m drunk but everybody just assumes it’s the alcohol talking as opposed to giving me the courage to say the stuff I can’t when I’m sober.

School was **** for me. I was the target of constant abuse until 5th year, but not enough for me to admit that it was bullying. I thought after school would be better for me but I’ve been out of there for 2 years and I still feel the same, if not worse. I feel under so much pressure to be something, anything, and I’m still struggling with “big fish, little pond -> small fish, ocean” syndrome. I worry about the future all of the time.

All the time I feel the constant need to put on a front; I’m the happy-go-lucky, carefree one that isn’t often fazed by anything. But that’s not true, that’s who I want to be but I have to pretend I’m already there because I don’t want anybody to know how much I’m bothered by so many things and it’s so hard to keep that face on when all you want to do is scream. Then of course there have been the people who have seen through this and I just push them away because I feel like they won’t like me once they realise how much of a tool I really am.

Now that I’ve written all of that I’ve suddenly forgotten why I started or what I expect anyone to say but I came to a realisation the other night that maybe I do need help or at least to tell somebody how I feel. I would post this in PI anonymously but I feel like that’d be cheating, I need it to be where people who at least kind of know me will see it (internet people are easier than real-life people). I’m really sorry if this is in the wrong place or inappropriate or something but yeah…I’m not happy and this is the only place I feel safe to admit it. :o

You said you don't know what you have to be depressed about, your life is good. First off you don't need to have a reason to be depressed. You're obviously familiar with reactive depression, where people become depressed as a response to some traumatic event or circumstance, but clinical depression is often caused by differing levels of neurochemicals. This is nothing you caused, and generally something you can't change with positive thinking alone.

You seem to think that your feelings are silly and you're being melodramatic but seriously, get that out of your head. If you had a broken leg you wouldn't brush it off, you'd get it seen to and treated. Simple as. I hate that mental health is viewed so differently and with such stigma attached. If you feel a mental health check-up is in order then by all means go get one. You don't need to feel like this, and you shouldn't.

Oh and secondly, the above is a good indication that you are indeed depressed, and if you described it to a doctor exactly as you are here, I'm sure that they would diagnose you as such. The lengths of time you feel down for, feeling hopeless and being unable to deal with things that other people seem to be able to handle easily are all red flags.

What a doctor will offer you is some form of counselling or other, and possibly medication (I ain't a doctor. Just going on what I know). I'd recommend the first to everyone and anyone, counselling, talking to a trusted and trained professional, is extremely beneficial. There's stigma surrounding this too but fúck it. We can't live our lives to suit antiquated societal ideals. If you're uncomfortable with this idea at first I'd urge you to try it at least once, what have you got to lose?

When it comes to medication it's a personal thing, antidepressants have worked very well for me, and luckily the first one I tried suited me perfectly. If you're interested in them then I'd advise reading up on SSRI's (or serotonin specific reuptake inhibitors) to become more familiar with them and how they work, this http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ssris/MH00066 seems like a reputable source of information. Iono how to link embed something something... whatever it's called.

The first step is going to a GP and describing all of what you posted above, if you already have one you trust then that's great, and if you're in college and have access to a free doctor then that's the way to go...if you're not comfortable talking to family and/or friends about it just yet then that's okay, maybe in time you will be.

I just really advise you to go do something about it, there is absolutely no reason for you (or anyone) to spend their days unhappy and feeling hopeless when you can live an easier life with a bit of action now. It's as straightforward as any health problem, really, and should be treated as such. Good luck <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I wish that more people could read this thread and realise what a large percentage of young people are affected by a mental illness of some kind. Instead of the "sure what do they have to be depressed about in this day and age" shite (mainly from the older generations), that they understand that mental illness isn't something that's brought on deliberately by the person, its an illness like any other that needs to be given time and attention to treat. It shouldn't be so stigmatized that people are afraid to confide in friends, family, or even a doctor. Fair play everyone who has been so honest here, hopefully the stigma will disappear as our generation gets older and more open about these things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

The fact that always sticks in my mind is more people die from suicides than from car crashes in Ireland.
    self harm:
    In 2006, there were 10,700 admissions to emergency departments for incidents of self harm involving over 8,200 individuals.
    The number increased in 2007 to 11,100 admissions involving 8,600 individuals.
    Cars:
    There about 475 fatal crashes on Irish roads each year with 8,500 injuries.
    ^^That has risen from when those numbers were taken

So,We all know someone who was hurt in a crash? Odds are you know more people that have self harmed this year.
    It's worrying stuff,but not talking about it only makes it worse.There's so much evidence that proves talking about it helps.This stigma we've developed is literally killing people

Sources:Car info , Suicide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The number of deaths in car crashes has fallen massively since 06, can't say the same about suicides. TBH it's impossible to know what the suicide rate is in this country, I saw the figures before broken down by year and county and the results were so, so stupid. I think Leitrim alternated between double digits and 0. Hell I know one suicide that was ruled misadventure or whatever it's called so the insurance would be paid up. It all comes down to the judges being "sensitive" to the families, much the same as the empathy we're meant to have for those lads in Donegal last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1078016

Last nights episode of Prime Time. If you skip to about 13 minutes in, it's about suicide in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

So,We all know someone who was hurt in a crash? Odds are you know more people that have self harmed this year.

Lucky those of us who have been involved in both >_< :P

I was at the Cliffs of Moher yesterday and, me being me, whilst looking at them I was thinking of how easy it would be to commit suicide there (not that I actually planned on doing it, it was just a observation).

A few hours later and we found out from a local that someone had jumped off and died that very morning. They get an average of 4 suicides a month from there.

No real point to this post, it just compounded what everyone here is saying even more for me. I wish those people had given life another chance - it can get better, I promise.

Novella wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1078016

Last nights episode of Prime Time. If you skip to about 13 minutes in, it's about suicide in Ireland.

Ah no, the first 13 minutes was brilliant. That independent senator is very straight-talking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Eviez

I have wanted to post here for sooo very very long but I’ve always backed out of it and to be honest I don’t know why I’m even doing this really.I suppose I just want someone to know how I’m feeling – how I’m really feeling - and not just see the mask I have to put on every day.I’m kinda hoping that knowing someone, somewhere knows how I feel will make me feel less alone because the loneliness, for me anyway, is probably the worst part in all this.I’m hoping it’ll be a little therapeutic as well so here goes:

I’ve been depressed for a very long time and I think I suffer from anxiety too but lately things have gotten much worse this past year.
    I started college last September even though I really didn’t want to. Most of my other friends went to Dublin or Cork for college and I guess we just grew apart.

I hate my course so much. I’m really shy but I tried so hard to make friends with the people on it but they just didn’t want to know.It’s not just the people though.I hate the course content too.I used to have a passion for it and hating what I once had a passion for is really unsettling for me.Everything’s changing and it’s horrible.

The one friend of mine that didn’t leave home for college actually ended up doing a similar course to me and so we had some lectures together.At first I was glad of this fact.It was nice to have a familiar face around but in the last few months I’ve seen a different side to him.A really ugly side to him. I can’t really explain the situation here.He’s just changed sooooo much since we started college.

I tried talking to him, politely, about his behaviour and how it wasn’t fair at all and every time I did he would say sorry and that it wouldn’t happen again – but I could tell he wasn’t being sincere and it did keep happening, again and again.I got angry with him but he couldn’t see anything wrong with his behaviour and thought I was the one with the problem and twisted the situation around.He really let me down sooo soooo much and I was already feeling so vulnerable.He felt like the only friend I had left and the way he treated me really felt like a punch in the gut.

I just feel so alienated by everyone.My mother knows how much I hate the course and how miserable it’s making me and even the horrible situation with my friend but she won’t let me quit.I just feel like the want to keep up appearances and such is more important to her than my happiness.

My body has really suffered physically the past few months too.I was so stressed out I couldn’t eat in college during the day.I would arrive home late in the evening and once I sat down on the couch I absolutely couldn’t get up the exhaustion was so much.I started to get headaches which really didn’t help as I couldn’t gather my thoughts properly anyway.I suffer badly from palpitations.

This Summer has been horrible. I can’t eat at all.The last few weeks I’ve completely lost my appetite.I can’t make myself eat some days and the thought of eating makes me feel sick.Sleep was once a great comfort to me and there were many days where I dreamed of my bed when I struggled to keep going Now I struggle to sleep.I stay up til all hours in the hope that when I go to bed I will fall asleep.I listen to my I-pod but my thoughts are always louder than the music.My mind races at night and my thoughts are so black and dark it scares me.I have really really bad palpitations some nights.

How I’m feeling at the moment is not a new thing.The situation is new and different – as in the college and friends issues but the feeling aren’t new at all.Like I said at the beginning I’ve been depressed for a very long time.It got so bad a few years ago I started having suicidal thoughts and was thinking and planning of how I would end it all.It’s painful to remember how I felt back then.

I told my mam how I was feeling, in a letter because I just hadn’t the strength to do it face to face.I know she got the letter because as I was leaving for school the following morning she said that we would talk about it that night.And I actually felt a little better that day in school.The weight on my shoulders had been eased a bit. But we never did talk about it.I was so heartbroken.It had taken me months to build up the courage and the strength to tell her how I felt and she just didn’t acknowledge it at all.

The anxiety I have been suffering from has left me unable to leave the house some days.The last time I left the house of my own accord was over a month ago and that was for a christening and I really had to make myself go.I have missed loads of family occasions because of it in the past though.

I used to cut myself in the past and I’ve been feeling more and more desperate lately and can feel myself going down that road again.No-one ever knew that I cut myself and I don’t know how I just stopped but I solemnly promised myself that no matter how bad things got in the future I would never resort to cutting myself again.But I’ve broken so many promises to myself lately and I can’t help thinking ‘What’s another one?’

I feel like such a failure for not taking care of myself better and stopping certain situations.I’m just soooo sooooo tired of staying strong and pretending everything’s ok when it’s not.It’s fúcking far far from ok and right now it feels like things will never be ok again.I feel so hopeless and helpless.I want to get help and get better but I don’t have anyone to turn to.Everyone keeps letting me down and I desperately need their understanding and support to get me through this because I can’t do this on my own.There’s a health centre a few hundred metres from my front door but it feels like a million miles away and I’m just too weak to do it alone.

I can’t type any more.I’m just too exhausted now and I can’t think right any more.I hope I get to sleep some bit now but I probably won’t.I’m really sorry about how long this has ended up and I don’t even know if any of it makes any sense or if it’s all just crazy ramblings.Thanks for reading anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I just decided to post here again. I've been pretty upset lately due to lack of friends, etc. I fell out with most of my friends during 5th year [ie: this year] because of them bullying someone, which then resulted in them turning everyone against me. It didn't really strike me until a few weeks ago what had actually happened. I thought they were my friends and they knew I'd been bullied pretty constantly throughout primary/secondary school so the stuff they had said really got to me. I never really bother to even do anything any more, its pretty much a struggle to even get up. If I'm asked to go somewhere with my family, I just find an excuse because I don't feel like going anywhere in public. This post probably seems totally pointless to everyone but I decided I'd post it here anyway, just to share my recent experience!

Eviez, you have got to look after your self. You know that so you have to start doing it. See a doctor, and maybe an officer or someone at college who can help with your feelings about your course. I don't know which college you go to so I don't know which services are available to you, but you should utilise them! You need to help yourself feel better, cause you're worth it and you shouldn't spend your days feeling miserable.

Your mom is probably just afraid that you'll disappoint yourself, if you can find the energy to tell her why your course doesn't suit you, and what your alternatives are - she's more likely to listen. What is it you want to do? That's what's important. She doesn't want to see you out on your ass with nothing to do... But there is zero point in continuing a course that makes you miserable. Find something that excites and motivates you, then pursue that. Maybe there's someone at college who can help you figure that out? They're there to help you, utilise them!

When all of these circumstantial things are sorted out I'm sure you'll feel a whole lot better, and can focus on your health with those out of the equation. It would be hard for a doctor to help you considering all of the other things going on in your life, they'd probably advise you to sort those out before they could see what else is to be done. I hope that makes sense. Talking this out is so important too, there are free counselling services nationwide, and I cannot stress how beneficial it is. It's scary as fúck at first, when all of this is usually in your head, but it helps SO MUCH. If you don't feel that anyone would support your decision to pursue this route, then go it alone at first. It'll make you feel in control, and you can tell others when you feel stronger.

I hope any of that helped in any small way, and good luck <3

• Advertisement

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I just decided to post here again. I've been pretty upset lately due to lack of friends, etc. I fell out with most of my friends during 5th year [ie: this year] because of them bullying someone, which then resulted in them turning everyone against me. It didn't really strike me until a few weeks ago what had actually happened. I thought they were my friends and they knew I'd been bullied pretty constantly throughout primary/secondary school so the stuff they had said really got to me. I never really bother to even do anything any more, its pretty much a struggle to even get up. If I'm asked to go somewhere with my family, I just find an excuse because I don't feel like going anywhere in public. This post probably seems totally pointless to everyone but I decided I'd post it here anyway, just to share my recent experience!
    I feel that. Really. It blows. Are you still in school? SCHOOL SUCKS. I have extremely limited advice when it comes to school. I hated it, and just counted the days down to when I could leave since about...4th year. It gets better afterwards, I promise.

I feel that. Really. It blows. Are you still in school? SCHOOL SUCKS. I have extremely limited advice when it comes to school. I hated it, and just counted the days down to when I could leave since about...4th year. It gets better afterwards, I promise.

Yep, going into 6th year and I actually can't wait to get out of there. Its just so childish and full of crap!

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Yep, going into 6th year and I actually can't wait to get out of there. Its just so childish and full of crap!

Agreed. Do what you can to stay sane this year...and don't waste your time on friends who aren't friends. Spend time with people who make you feel good :)

Agreed. Do what you can to stay sane this year...and don't waste your time on friends who aren't friends. Spend time with people who make you feel good :)

Yeah, its just unreal awkward in school with the whole situation, so its hard to tell who's actually my friend. But it's only another year anyway. :)

Listen. Just listen. Tell him you'll be at the other end of the phone if he needs you. Or a lot of the time he might not be able to or want to talk, but he might want someone. Just someone there. Go watch some mindless movie with him, or go for a walk or whatever it is that's natural for you to do. You don't have to talk, and you don't have to know all the answers either. He's getting help, and I'm sure his parents interrogate him enough.

Just let him know that you can be around if he needs you, and that it isn't a big deal :)

PS: You rock.

<snip: quoted a deleted post>

Manic depression is now referred to as bipolar disorder, and I have been diagnosed with that. Speaking from my own experience, once prescribed the right medication, the symptoms can be vastly improved and I know that since I've been on the right treatment, I am feeling like a new person.

If he really is bipolar, I think his parents do need to be told about it and his condition managed.

There isn't really much you can do, I'd imagine. Just try to be there for him as much as you can, and make sure you take care of yourself as well. Always being the person that someone who is mentally ill leans on can be severely draining. <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

<snip: quoted a deleted post>

I'm sure his parents have their own reasons for this but I think its a bit ridiculous. If his doctor prescribed them, then he obviously thinks that your friend needs medication, along with counselling, to help him along for a while. If he was diagnosed with any other disease would they not pay for his treatment and medication?

I'm sure his parents have their own reasons for this but I think its a bit ridiculous. If his doctor prescribed them, then he obviously thinks that your friend needs medication, along with counselling, to help him along for a while. If he was diagnosed with any other disease would they not pay for his treatment and medication?

Depends what age tbh, I wouldn't have my kid on drugs which weren't designed for or meant to be used on under-18s for the same purpose as over-18s.

Presumably the doctor considered that before they were prescribed. It's not like overnight on your 18th birthday your body changes that dramatically.

Presumably the doctor considered that before they were prescribed. It's not like overnight on your 18th birthday your body changes that dramatically.

I'd still use some judgment myself. It would depend on the specific case but a GP prescribing psycho-active substances to a child would ring alarm bells for me. I'm looking forward to the next 10/15 years when more studies are published and publicised. A cursary look at the literature will show their efficacy is inconsistent at best and certainly isn't as cut-and-dry as many people make out.
    Like I said though, a GP unilaterally deciding to prescribe SSRIs or similar is not something that fills me with joy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

amacachi wrote: »
    I'd still use some judgment myself. It would depend on the specific case but a GP prescribing psycho-active substances to a child would ring alarm bells for me. I'm looking forward to the next 10/15 years when more studies are published and publicised. A cursary look at the literature will show their efficacy is inconsistent at best and certainly isn't as cut-and-dry as many people make out.
    Like I said though, a GP unilaterally deciding to prescribe SSRIs or similar is not something that fills me with joy.

To be blunt about this, and I hope people won't take it personally, not all opinions are equally valid.

You're looking forward to 10/15 years of further research, but you're ignoring the fact that you likely haven't fully taken in the PREVIOUS 10/15 years of research of the subject, the doctor has, he (or she) has spent many years of her life studying these medications, in what circumstances they are and aren't suitable and possible side effects or risks.
    They've gone through numerous examinations over the course of many years to test their knowledge of various areas of medicine. They've quite possibly even done their own research on this subject, or at least on a related subject, and had their results accepted by peers with similar qualifications.
    To say that a "cursory look at the literature" is enough to challenge their judgement is insulting them at best.

If people honestly believe that their doctor is making a poor decision they could at least bring the issue up with another doctor instead of basing their opinion on something they've read online, or claiming that their opinion is anywhere near as informed as their doctor's.

Disclaimer: None of the above applies to Homeopaths or anyone else just pretending to be a doctor, you almost certainly do know better than them.

Pygmalion wrote: »
    To be blunt about this, and I hope people won't take it personally, not all opinions are equally valid.

You're looking forward to 10/15 years of further research, but you're ignoring the fact that you likely haven't fully taken in the PREVIOUS 10/15 years of research of the subject, the doctor has, he (or she) has spent many years of her life studying these medications, in what circumstances they are and aren't suitable and possible side effects or risks.
    They've gone through numerous examinations over the course of many years to test their knowledge of various areas of medicine. They've quite possibly even done their own research on this subject, or at least on a related subject, and had their results accepted by peers with similar qualifications.
    To say that a "cursory look at the literature" is enough to challenge their judgement is insulting them at best.

If people honestly believe that their doctor is making a poor decision they could at least bring the issue up with another doctor instead of basing their opinion on something they've read online, or claiming that their opinion is anywhere near as informed as their doctor's.

Disclaimer: None of the above applies to Homeopaths or anyone else just pretending to be a doctor, you almost certainly do know better than them.

Have you looked at the literature and the recent Meta Analyses? Unfortunately many countries seem to take their cue from America which isn't always the wisest idea. I'm trying my best not to drag this thread completely off topic. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I know everyone means well here, but site-policy means no medical advice. Sorry guys and girls, but ye'll have to move on from trying to press things on this particular incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I don't know the exact ins and outs of this and the reasons why this route has been taken so I'm going to leave this topic alone and thank ye for your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

The thing that keeps me going sometimes is fate , it was my 18th a few days ago and i was just in bits about starting my adult life as a unemployed loser , im sure people on the street couldve noticed the tears in my eyes , but as soon as i got on the bus ,i noticed the bus driver looked exactly like the viper from hardy bucks , and i instantly just burst out smiling and knew everything was going to be alright ,

well thats my story

Love it <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭bevan619

I'm not depressed but I feel down a lot :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

Sorry to dredge up this thread but I just felt like posting in here again.

I’d been having a really good summer, rarely down at all. Even things I didn’t realise were problems improved, like I can now talk to my friends about my problems I never did that before but since I’ve come over here, and especially in the last week or so thing haven’t been going so great.

One of the first weekends here though, we found an Irish bar. Not one of those stupid “Oirish” bars with non-stop Irish music and no actual Irish people on staff. In fact apart from the décor and the fact the owner (and the 1 other barman) is Irish. But anyway, one day when I was there the owner came in drunk, he’d been drinking all day with friends or something. But anyway we got talking and we talked about al sorts of drunken nonsense but I also told him how I’d been feeling. He was so nice about it and gave me hug and all.

A night or two ago we decided, because we weren’t going out, we’d go for a drink there. My friend left before I did and I ended up staying till closing. On the way out I was feeling pretty down and gave him (the owner, who was not drunk this time :)) a hug. He asked me if I wanted to have a chat. I accepted and we talked for like 2 hours, I was crying and horrible and told him far more than I want anybody to know about me but I can not begin to explain how nice it was to have somebody to talk to and to cry to.

But anyway, he seemed to have a bit of experience with depression and that, although he’s not a doctor or anything he would have though I had it. He also recommended I take St. John’s Wort which I’m looking into. But it’s funny how talking to someone has made me realise things about myself that I didn’t know before and made me think about changes I should be making now and how I really have to stop putting of things that I think might make me happy just because they might be hard e.g. I’ll wait till I’m home, ‘till I graduate, ‘till tomorrow.

…Once again I not sure why I’m posting this here. I s’pose I just needed to tell someone and here seemed as good a place as any.

illiop wrote: »
    Sorry to dredge up this thread but I just felt like posting in here again.

I’d been having a really good summer, rarely down at all. Even things I didn’t realise were problems improved, like I can now talk to my friends about my problems I never did that before but since I’ve come over here, and especially in the last week or so thing haven’t been going so great.

One of the first weekends here though, we found an Irish bar. Not one of those stupid “Oirish” bars with non-stop Irish music and no actual Irish people on staff. In fact apart from the décor and the fact the owner (and the 1 other barman) is Irish. But anyway, one day when I was there the owner came in drunk, he’d been drinking all day with friends or something. But anyway we got talking and we talked about al sorts of drunken nonsense but I also told him how I’d been feeling. He was so nice about it and gave me hug and all.

A night or two ago we decided, because we weren’t going out, we’d go for a drink there. My friend left before I did and I ended up staying till closing. On the way out I was feeling pretty down and gave him (the owner, who was not drunk this time :)) a hug. He asked me if I wanted to have a chat. I accepted and we talked for like 2 hours, I was crying and horrible and told him far more than I want anybody to know about me but I can not begin to explain how nice it was to have somebody to talk to and to cry to.

But anyway, he seemed to have a bit of experience with depression and that, although he’s not a doctor or anything he would have though I had it. He also recommended I take St. John’s Wort which I’m looking into. But it’s funny how talking to someone has made me realise things about myself that I didn’t know before and made me think about changes I should be making now and how I really have to stop putting of things that I think might make me happy just because they might be hard e.g. I’ll wait till I’m home, ‘till I graduate, ‘till tomorrow.

…Once again I not sure why I’m posting this here. I s’pose I just needed to tell someone and here seemed as good a place as any.

That's good. It's really important to talk, 'cause keeping things in generally just makes things worse. If ya ever need to vent, feel free to throw me a PM. Glad you're doin' okay. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

BUMP!
    124kewz.jpg

Since you guys voted this thread the best in C&H I guess it should be resurrected for a while. I've posted a couple of times here but never went into any great detail. However, there's currently a thread about the subject in After Hours and I decided to write down my life story! This is a copy and paste job from the thread:
    I was diagnosed with "mild" depression about a year ago. (I was also suspected as possibly suffering from schizophrenia but thankfully that turned out not to be the case.) This came after months of feeling miserable about life; I spent the whole summer of 2009 alone in my bedroom. I thought going back to college would help but the added pressure just made everything worse. I ended up missing so many lectures and assignments because I could never sleep at night and would be too fatigued to get up and go to college in the morning. Subconsciously, I think I stayed awake at night because if I was too tired to get up during the day it meant I could avoid seeing other people and would only have to be awake when I was alone.

Was put on medication and for most of 2010 I was doing a lot better. Over the past 2 months everything has basically come down hard on me again. Being back in college has put a lot of pressure on me; I'm in my final year and need to do ridiculously well this year to get a Masters (to make up for missing so much college in 3rd year, when I was depressed but didn't know it, and basically doing shít in my 3rd year exams.) I saw a counsellor who basically told me that he didn't think I needed counselling, and to be told that I was ok when I knew myself that I wasn't was a major setback for me. Also I became really disillusioned with everyone in my life; friends, family etc. I'd be mad at and avoid for no reason. Everything in life had already begun to fall apart when my boyfriend (who I had been with for six months) broke up with me the night before my birthday. That incident just accelerated everything and was about three weeks ago. I haven't felt right since.

I'm going back to a different counsellor, I'm going to give seeing a psychiatirst another shot (missed an appointment earlier in the year due to a mix up of dates - I didn't make another appointment because I thought I was doing better.) and my medication has been increased. I've never attempted suicide but I have thought about it; I reckon everyone (or nearly everyone) thinks about it at some stage though.

I wasn't gonna post all this here but I've spoken about it in other forums and I don't care about remaining anonymous or anything. A big thank you to boneyarsebogman for starting this thread; it's a subject that doesn't get as much treatment as it needs.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69770536#post69770536

Advertisement