Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had depression?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Good man Knifey :)

Have you ever had depression? was a fantastic thread to win a Jizzler - so many people have opened up here since it was created and that's amazing y'know? So much great advice and help on hand too.

N'awwww C&Hers <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Aww Knifey! I hope things get better for you and remember that C&H loves you and your our best mod! :D<3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I had depression for a long time while I was in secondary school. I think the main reason for it was that I felt very distant from others and never fitted in. I went through a particularly bad phase of this in third year and it never entirely went away although as the years went on I found myself fitting in more and feeling much happier about my life. Since I've come to college I've been happier than at any previous point in my life because I've found a lot of friends that I get along really well with, as well as being able to avoid the people from back home who I dont like and just associate with those I do. I still get the occasional period of feeling down but I've realised that everyone has those.

It's really good to see this issue being tackled where it really matters in this country. The main thing for people who do suffer from depression is to remember that there is always hope, no matter what, and that you are never alone. For those of you who haven't seen it yet, there is an interesting debate on this subject happening over in After Hours. Even looking at the results from the poll show that you are not isolated in how you are feeling.

How is everyone feeling in this New Year? Are you all optimistic for change or still struggling?

Didn't see Knife-Wrench post about it, I'd blame my sore eyes from studying, only I haven't studied much.

@illiop - it's a great thing to just to talk. It's good that he was able to help you so much, it's quite a heart-warming story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I really like how people feel safe and comfortable enough in this thread to share such personal and sensitive experiences with total strangers- it's a real testament to the forum and the people in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Wow...I was one of the 'Soundtrack To Your Angst' fangirls for the Jizzlers, but after finally reading over most of this thread, I'm glad it won. It may just be the single best thing ever on the internet, for me.

I decided to start reading this thread properly tonight. I haven't really looked at it before. I dunno, I'm not the happiest of people tbh, and I think I thought reading something about depression would just lower my mood. I was so wrong. I'm in a very good mood now, and I've read over the majority of this thread (I'm too tired to carry on now, though) and it's made my mood even better.

I might write properly about this sometime, for now I don't think what I have to say is important enough so I'll leave it brief. I'm only young, I doubt I've ever had depression, I just tend to get down a lot over things that might not affect a normal person quite as much. I've gone through some rough patches where I've wondered what's the point of even getting out of bed, but being my age I haven't exactly had a choice in the matter, which certainly seems like a good thing. Those bad times have passed, I think I'm a lot more confident in myself and just generally happier than I used to be. I'm not naiive enough to think things won't be hard again, I have a lot of angsty adolescence to go through yet!

I think I've been happier when instead of thinking about not-so-nice things, I went and did something like listen to or discover new music, or read or watch a movie. Over the summer, I had quite a lot of spare time, which is definitely not good for me...I really developed my music taste, found some pretty epic stuff, and I actually think music has really contributed to my better moods. Feeling down - stick in earphones and I'm good to go tbh.

My main problem is that I worry and overthink things A LOT. Like, seriously...I've spent whole weekends stressing out about ridiculous stuff which, on Monday mornings, I realise didn't even matter at all. But reading over some really, really good advice in this thread I think the key is to tell my brain to shut up for a change, crank up the tunes, open up a book or watch a movie. Anything to distract me, and still be worthwhile. Life is waaay too short to worry about insignificant things. Obviously, not everything is insignificant, and worrying is sometimes necessary, but everything passes in the end. Actually, I think my favourite quote ever is 'This too shall pass'. Simple, yet so effective and I haven't been able to fault it yet.

Damn, this was meant to be short and sweet. But yeah, I feel a bit stupid posting here because my problems are just stupid compared to most people here, it's put a lot into perspective, but being the kind of person I am I don't think things will always be quite so fine and dandy, and it's nice to know there's somewhere to go if something were to go wrong and I was to feel really, really down.

Thanks guys. :)

I got diagnosed with depression yesterday, and the doctor wants me to talk to my parents, but I honestly have no idea how I'll do it..

"Mum, Dad, I have depression".

Or at least something along those lines. It shouldn't be something you're afraid of. Tell them that you have depression, but you're fine. It's not something to be embarrassed about. Have they given you any inclination of knowing that you may or may not be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I got diagnosed with depression yesterday, and the doctor wants me to talk to my parents, but I honestly have no idea how I'll do it..
    Calm, frank, and with minimal around-bush-beating dude. Just find a good time, place and do it in an appropriate manner. Ask your ma "mam, can I talk to you in private for a minute? Later on today or something if you're busy now." Then explain how you went to the doc's yesterday and were diagnosed (like a story...of what you did yesterday). You don't necessarily have to delve into why you went to the doc's but as long as you get the depression thing across and what you've done about it you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I'd say just put it out there."Mum,dad I went to the doctor and he says i've depression"
    or simply
    "I have depression"

It won't be nice, it'll be awkward as hell, but they do love you and as long as they know what's going on they'll do their best [bear in mind, older generations don't deal with depression as well as we might.It's not anything big they just don't know what to do]

However it goes; tell us how it ends up[if you're comfortable of course]

-Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I was in the same position as you nearly a year ago norwegianwood; I was so worried about telling my parents that I'd been diagnosed. Do exactly what the other guys said - just say it out straight to them. It seems like it's going to be the hardest thing in the world, but it's best to just get it over and done with. Take care of yourself, and know you can always rant away on this thread. We know what you're going through.

• Advertisement

So yeah, I decided I'd post here again! Well over the past few months, I don't even know anymore.. I go from being really happy to just completely down all of a sudden. Like one minute I could read something, and I'd laugh at it, thinking oh wow, that was funny, and then suddenly it just evaporates away. I don't even know where it came from, like. I've got some really bad social issues too, but I've always had mild ones, but now it's come to a stage where I won't even go into a shop by myself because I always feel as if I'm being stared at, or something.

I suppose it's just all confidence issues, etc, but it's actually really getting me down. I can't go to sleep at night because I always fear I'm doing to suddenly die. I know this probably sounds completely stupid and stuff, but I honestly can't help it- it just happens. School has gotten so bad that I barely go in anymore. My teachers have all began to notice and like I'm honestly just sick of coming up with excuses and stuff, because I don't know why I don't want to go in. I just can't face it like.

I wasn't even going to post this in here, because like it's so stupid of me and stuff, but I decided I would because it's probably just better to get it out there and stuff, because like I'd never actually tell anyone that I know all about this stuff. But yeah I don't think I've explained anything properly or anything, so yeah..

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

*Hugs* norwegianwood. I know exactly how you feel. I was diagnosed just over 6 weeks ago and going to the doctor is probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do so well done for taking that step. I’m in no position really to give you advice considering I still haven’t told my parents, or anyone else for that matter, but I really think it’s best to tell them soon because the longer you leave it the harder it will be.

I first became aware of this thread when people were nominating for the Jizzlers and I’ve tried to post here dozens of times since then but I’ve always backed out of it. Talking is really hard and trying to put into words what I’ve been through and what I’m going through at the moment is even harder. Hopefully someday soon I’ll be strong enough to post here properly. :)

<3 to all C&Hers. :)

Mollikins wrote: »
    *Hugs* norwegianwood. I know exactly how you feel. I was diagnosed just over 6 weeks ago and going to the doctor is probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do so well done for taking that step. I’m in no position really to give you advice considering I still haven’t told my parents, or anyone else for that matter, but I really think it’s best to tell them soon because the longer you leave it the harder it will be.

I first became aware of this thread when people were nominating for the Jizzlers and I’ve tried to post here dozens of times since then but I’ve always backed out of it. Talking is really hard and trying to put into words what I’ve been through and what I’m going through at the moment is even harder. Hopefully someday soon I’ll be strong enough to post here properly. :)

<3 to all C&Hers. :)

You know you're a lot stronger than you think, right? I mean even posting that required a tremendous amount of strength and going to see a doctor even more so. You don't need to be strong enough, you already are there.

I guess I should share part of my story, which, like everyone else, is very hard for me to do. I've been suffering for a while, I think, a few years. My family don't know, I don't want them to. I live pretty much independent from them, so I guess I don't feel the need. But I also don't want to put my parents through it, not again - unfortunately I can't go into too much detail now as it would be unfair to delve into other people's issues. It gets worse depending on my situation - '09-'10 was perhaps the worst time of my life, where the only way to describe it is that I was being barraged on all sides, from my old job, to living alone with someone who turned out to be a schizophrenic and was sanctioned twice, to other areas, so there was literally no escape for me. Eventually I realised that I have to make a change, so I went out and met new people, became more active, and enjoyed life more. While I do get my periods where I sink back and sometimes I get mood swings, I'm not as bad as I was. I didn't go to any doctors because I knew they'd just prescribe me medication and I want to try and fight this by myself, which I'm winning so far. Luckily enough there is an on-campus counselor that I can talk to whenever I feel the need. Things do improve, I can vouch for that, but a lot of the time you need to be willing to do the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    So yeah, I decided I'd post here again! Well over the past few months, I don't even know anymore.. I go from being really happy to just completely down all of a sudden. Like one minute I could read something, and I'd laugh at it, thinking oh wow, that was funny, and then suddenly it just evaporates away. I don't even know where it came from, like. I've got some really bad social issues too, but I've always had mild ones, but now it's come to a stage where I won't even go into a shop by myself because I always feel as if I'm being stared at, or something.

I suppose it's just all confidence issues, etc, but it's actually really getting me down. I can't go to sleep at night because I always fear I'm doing to suddenly die. I know this probably sounds completely stupid and stuff, but I honestly can't help it- it just happens. School has gotten so bad that I barely go in anymore. My teachers have all began to notice and like I'm honestly just sick of coming up with excuses and stuff, because I don't know why I don't want to go in. I just can't face it like.

I wasn't even going to post this in here, because like it's so stupid of me and stuff, but I decided I would because it's probably just better to get it out there and stuff, because like I'd never actually tell anyone that I know all about this stuff. But yeah I don't think I've explained anything properly or anything, so yeah..

Awh Noel :( <33333

Live is tough and everyone finds different things difficult - everyone has their own issues, everyone knows how it feels, so you shouldn't bottle up your feelings ! I know you must be feeling especially down this year with all the added stress of 6th year and the feeling of just wanting to get out of your home,school town etc , and *hugs hugs hugs* for that, I know how it feels. I can also relate to the self-confidence issues , but you have to know that even the most confinent of people feel that way sometimes, and it is okay to feel like that from time to time, but you have to realise there is nothing wrong with you! You say you'd never actually tell anyone this stuff, but you should! A close friend, a family member, one of us boardies even! You'll feel much better! ( I should practice what I preach with that one...)

I know I don't know you in real life but I feel I have gotten to know you quite a bit through boards and you are a nice, funny, caring guy ! You will get passed this hard time, I know you will! My PM box is always open if you want to talk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

You know you're a lot stronger than you think, right? I mean even posting that required a tremendous amount of strength and going to see a doctor even more so. You don't need to be strong enough, you already are there.

I guess I should share part of my story, which, like everyone else, is very hard for me to do. I've been suffering for a while, I think, a few years. My family don't know, I don't want them to. I live pretty much independent from them, so I guess I don't feel the need. But I also don't want to put my parents through it, not again - unfortunately I can't go into too much detail now as it would be unfair to delve into other people's issues. It gets worse depending on my situation - '09-'10 was perhaps the worst time of my life, where the only way to describe it is that I was being barraged on all sides, from my old job, to living alone with someone who turned out to be a schizophrenic and was sanctioned twice, to other areas, so there was literally no escape for me. Eventually I realised that I have to make a change, so I went out and met new people, became more active, and enjoyed life more. While I do get my periods where I sink back and sometimes I get mood swings, I'm not as bad as I was. I didn't go to any doctors because I knew they'd just prescribe me medication and I want to try and fight this by myself, which I'm winning so far. Luckily enough there is an on-campus counselor that I can talk to whenever I feel the need. Things do improve, I can vouch for that, but a lot of the time you need to be willing to do the work.

Thanks for the lovely words boney. <3

I’m nowhere near strong as you seem to think I am though. I was having palpitations even just typing that so you can imagine the mess I was in when I went to the doctor! I only went because I had no choice and I realised I needed to before I did something stupid that I would not live to regret because I was seriously heading down that road. It took me weeks to go and only sheer stubbornness got me through it and to be honest I can’t even remember the appointment properly.

I’m so glad to hear you’re doing better nowadays. :)

And *Hugs* to Noely. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Just saw a surprisingly high number of people have had depression without needing medication- I'm wondering how many of these were diagnosed with clinical depression and were told no meds were needed and how many are self-diagnosed- it could be somewhat skewing the results.

So how do people with self-reported depression know they have depression?

Mollikins wrote: »
    Thanks for the lovely words boney. <3

I’m nowhere near strong as you seem to think I am though. I was having palpitations even just typing that so you can imagine the mess I was in when I went to the doctor! I only went because I had no choice and I realised I needed to before I did something stupid that I would not live to regret because I was seriously heading down that road. It took me weeks to go and only sheer stubbornness got me through it and to be honest I can’t even remember the appointment properly.

I’m so glad to hear you’re doing better nowadays. :)

And *Hugs* to Noely. :(

Even the simple fact of admitting there is a problem shows strength, then accepting shows strength, then getting help shows strength. All of these things add up and show just how strong a person can be. And you most certainly are strong, it's something you should never forget. It's something you all should never forget. Each and every single one of you is strength and the poll here and the one in After Hours shows that you are not alone, you are not isolated.

I have my good days and my bad days. Today was a mix of both, but it's OK now that the day is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Piste wrote: »
    So how do people with self-reported depression know they have depression?

You're probably right on that one- I can't be sure I ever really had depression. All I know is that I felt like I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I’ve been debating for a while whether or not to post anything here for a while. I've never told this to anyone before, but in an attempt to be a bit more open I figured I'd just bite the bullet and go for it.

I've never been a particularly happy person and as I got older I become downright miserable. I got bullied pretty badly in secondary school and my home life wasn't much better. I never felt like I could talk to anyone about my problems, so many of them were tied family and it's not the kind of thing you tell people. Especially not when you live in a small rural community where half of your friend's parents and half of the school staff are friends with your parents.
    Long story short my mum's an alcoholic, prone to fits of psychosis. She wasn't the easiest person to be around growing up, but it really got bad around four years ago when my older brother went to college. With my dad away most of the time and no one else around, I got the worst of her abuse. I got a lot of severe anxiety attacks and started skipping school whenever she went to work, I just couldn't handle it any more. I use to just lock myself away and go for days without speaking to anyone. I'd already been self harming for a few years, but that was nothing compared to amount of damage I did over the next couple of years.

Looking back I don't know how I got through it at all. I heard something once: that if you hit absolute rock bottom - when you're genuinely convinced you might as well just die- if you go three weeks without attempting to commit suicide, then you probably never will. I don’t know if that's true at all, but just the idea that 'if I can get through this then nothing will be quite this bad again,' probably saved my life a few times. And eventually things got a bit better.

I know it hasn't just gone away and I still have a few emotional problems I should probably deal with, but I can't bring myself to look about help when I'm kind of doing okay-ish right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

I would encourage anyone here to read either 'Doctoring the Mind' by Richard P. Bentall or 'Madness Explained' by the same author, the latter being heavier to read.

People who are wondering if people have or have not depression have fallen into the trap created by psychiatrists and drug companies.

Depression, mental illness and madness are not purely medical conditions that can be treated with drugs. To me (and to many respected psychologists and psychiatrists themselves), there is not a clear dividing line between mental health and mental illness. We all experience elements of depression in our daily lives, some more so than others. We are all vulnerable to depression.

However, depression is a very serious problem, there is no one denying that. I am however, trying to dispel the myth that one either has or does not have depression. That is rubbish. As I've said above, there is no dividing line. The very fact that people wonder whether they have depression or feel down is proof of this.

Secondly, I'd like to draw your attention to several studies regarding the effectiveness of medication vs. counselling or psychotherapy. Surely people must realise that the reason they are depressed is almost always due to something that has happened in their lives, whether they are aware of it or not.

Using medication is simply treating the symptoms, and not the cause. While people are on drugs such as Paxil and Prozac, there is no doubt that there is huge evidence of their effectiveness. However, there is also considerable evidence to show that psychotherapeutic methods such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) are just as effective. In fact, in a study by DeRubeis and others, it was shown that CBT was considerably more effective once treatment was stopped.

In 2005, during a study of 240 patients they reported that cognitive therapy worked as well as a Paxil for moderate to severe depression. (Note the severe.) At eight weeks, the response rate was very similar at around 50%, with Paxil having a slightly, although marginally, lower percentage. But by 16 weeks, 58% of patients in both treatment groups were feeling better.

This is where it gets interesting. Twelve months later, the patiests who had finished after just 16 weeks of the cognitive therapy also had an identical relapse rate as the people who were still on the drug after twelve months.

The people who stopped taking Paxil after the 16 weeks were then compared to those who had also stopped cognitive therapy. Guess what? Those who had the 16 weeks of the drug had a relapse rate twice as high as those who had just 16 weeks of the cognitive therapy.

So basically, taking drugs by themselves will not help you unless you plan to be on them for the rest of your life. Just sixteen weeks of psychotherapy is twice as effective as sixteen weeks of drugs, while being much cheaper. If you want the same effect as the 16 weeks of therapy with antidepressants, you have to stay on the drug forever.

I'm sure many people on this forum are unaware of these facts. Given the really tough times we're in, many people simply cannot afford to spend tens or hundreds on medication when all they need to do is talk to someone who is suitably qualified, especially when drugs are considerably less effective and much more expensive in the long run.

Even though I've attempted to quote my post like an academic paper and actually mentioned the studies showing evidence for what I'm saying, I know that there will no doubt be people who somehow disagree with me. I would encourage anyone who does to read the books I've mentioned, or even Google similar studies — there are so many of them with many of the common antidepressants that people have mentioned in this thread.

Regards,
    Ed.

EDIT: Just said I'd include the name of another study for people to look at. It's a longitudinal follow-up study by Moncrieff and Kirsch, also from 2005. To just take a quote from it:
    "Two studies that prospectively assessed outcome in depressed patients treated naturalistically by general practitioners and psychiatrists found that people prescribed antidepressants had a slightly worse outcome than those not prescribed them, even after baseline severity had been taken into account (23,24). No comparable studies could be found that showed a better outcome in people prescribed antidepressants in the long term."

If you didn't catch that, those not prescribed the drugs had a slighty better outcome than those who were prescribed antidepressants. I — being the sceptic that I am — would expect people to have even a small chance of a better outcome for all their time on the medication, but to find out that people actual had a worse outcome is scary.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Vivara, although I'd just like to point out that while depression isn't just black and white (since that metaphor seems to fit nicely), some people can also have conditions which cause them to be deficient in certain neurotransmitters which will lead to depression. This is certainly a medical condition.

These conditions aside, you're quite right, although I'd like to say that it's not such a bad thing. Treating depression as one well-defined medical condition is not the way to go for treatment (my thoughts above excepted) but is helped for publicising it in my view. The "Talk to somebody" attitude as espoused by, for example, boneyarsebogeyman's signature is helpful for getting people to take an interest in their mental health.

Thanks for that Vivara, although I'd just like to point out that while depression isn't just black and white (since that metaphor seems to fit nicely), some people can also have conditions which cause them to be deficient in certain neurotransmitters which will lead to depression. This is certainly a medical condition.

Actually, I've done considerable research on this neurotransmitter chemical imbalance theory.

In yet another study from 2005, Lacasse and Leo provide evidence that there is no evidence to support widely promoted claims regarding the cause of depression, the effectiveness of antidepressants, and how antidepressants work. Lacasse and Leo cite studies, experts and leading scientists who conclude there is insufficient evidence to support a belief that depression is the result of a serotonin deficiency and that drugs like Prozac can correct this problem. Furthermore, there is no valid evidence to support the conclusion that depression is the result of a chemical imbalance (AKA a deficiency in neurotransmitters).

Lacasse and Leo suggest that despite a lack of evidence, and even evidence to the contrary, the pharmaceutical industry markets and educates the public, schools and health care describing a cause and treatment for depression that is not substantiated by research, science and expert opinion.

In fact, many studies have also come to the conclusion that the biological occurrences which you describe are in fact effects or depression, not the causes.

To put it very simply, it’s the story of big money. These drugs that fuel a $330 billion psychiatric industry depend on this idea of a chemical imbalance, and many people are completely shocked to know that there isn't any evidence for this theory. Please, please show me some and I would be more than delighted to see it.

These conditions aside, you're quite right, although I'd like to say that it's not such a bad thing. Treating depression as one well-defined medical condition is not the way to go for treatment (my thoughts above excepted) but is helped for publicising it in my view. The "Talk to somebody" attitude as espoused by, for example, boneyarsebogeyman's signature is helpful for getting people to take an interest in their mental health.

I do agree that it hase increased the awareness of depression. But it's also not right to make people thing that they are very ill, suffering from a medical disease (when they are not) and that they have to shell out for medication. As I've said, it's an industry worth hundreds of billions.

Again, I would encourage anyone to look at these studies for themselves.

Ed.

Vivara wrote: »
    Actually, I've done considerable research on this neurotransmitter chemical imbalance theory.

In yet another study from 2005, Lacasse and Leo provide evidence that there is no evidence to support widely promoted claims regarding the cause of depression, the effectiveness of antidepressants, and how antidepressants work. Lacasse and Leo cite studies, experts and leading scientists who conclude there is insufficient evidence to support a belief that depression is the result of a serotonin deficiency and that drugs like Prozac can correct this problem. Furthermore, there is no valid evidence to support the conclusion that depression is the result of a chemical imbalance (AKA a deficiency in neurotransmitters).

Lacasse and Leo suggest that despite a lack of evidence, and even evidence to the contrary, the pharmaceutical industry markets and educates the public, schools and health care describing a cause and treatment for depression that is not substantiated by research, science and expert opinion.

In fact, many studies have also come to the conclusion that the biological occurrences which you describe are in fact effects or depression, not the causes.

I'm curious to know if, when you say that you've done research you mean that this is your professional area of expertise or that you've read research.

That's very interesting. I'll definitely read up on Lacasse and Leo anyway.

And to clarify, by your last point are you saying that evidence does show statistical correlation between low serotonin levels but not causation?

Furthermore (I'm sorry, but yours is the most interesting post I've seen for quite a while), when you say that there is no evidence to show that a chemical imbalance causes depression, do you mean that it is irrelevant completely, or that other factors play a more dominant role, or something else entirely?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm curious to know if, when you say that you've done research you mean that this is your professional area of expertise or that you've read research.

That's very interesting. I'll definitely read up on Lacasse and Leo anyway.

And to clarify, by your last point are you saying that evidence does show statistical correlation between low serotonin levels but not causation?

Furthermore (I'm sorry, but yours is the most interesting post I've seen for quite a while), when you say that there is no evidence to show that a chemical imbalance causes depression, do you mean that it is irrelevant completely, or that other factors play a more dominant role, or something else entirely?

Thanks.
    I actually remember seeing an article about this before...and sure enough I found it. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8138893.stm

I'd be a little anxious about posting it here though incase it'd put people off their drugs for their respective mental illnesses. Please take drugs you're prescribed people...don't be silly now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's really good to see this issue being tackled where it really matters in this country.
    How so?
    Piste wrote: »
    Just saw a surprisingly high number of people have had depression without needing medication- I'm wondering how many of these were diagnosed with clinical depression and were told no meds were needed and how many are self-diagnosed- it could be somewhat skewing the results.

Well I was referred by a counsellor to a psychiatrist who prescribed me anti-depressants and a few years later another counsellor referred me to a doctor to get a prescription for a sedative and take things from there.

I avoided taking anything for the most part and just got better myself. I'm expecting to be shouted down for saying this but I found that I grew out of it somewhat and that some of my older friends have had a similar experience to me. Talking to some people younger than me and reading the posts here it's the exact same kind of crap I was feeling for years. I genuinely think that people change and grow up way more in the year or two around when they turn 21 than just at the end of puberty and I've found that a majority of people I know basically did just get better by themselves. Some had a change in their lives or circumstances, I didn't, but it was around the same age that things got better.

I'm not trying to dismiss what anyone is saying and I realise that it's going to sound really condescending to say that a lot of problems stem from immaturity, I know if someone had said that to me I'd have fcuked them right off.

EDIT: Just reading above about the efficacy of anti-depressants, if one looks back through the thread they might see where I was dismissed for suggesting that they're not as beneficial as certain areas would like to make out. In case you're wondering Conor it's been shown several times that SSRIs increase serotonin levels quickly but the mood effect takes far longer to occur (if indeed it does). The specific circumstances in which they're prescribed would be pretty damn interesting to me.
    Some light reading: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=antidepressants-do-they-work-or-dont-they http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/303/1/47.short?home What constitutes severe depression is also something that I would argue about. :pac:

At present, no it's not my professional area of expertise. I actually intend to do medicine and specialise in neurology before pursuing education in clinical psychology. As far-fetched as that sounds, I want to see the research from both sides of the coin. As well as having a huge interest in neurological conditions (that are actually diseases, such as Alzheimer's), being a neurologist will allow me to dispute the biological side of mental illness with credibility.

That's the plan anyway!

Yes that's what I'm saying. Just like falling in love often increases serotonin levels in the brain, depression (due to life traumas) can cause a decrease in serotonin levels. That's the reason you can feel happy due to love and feel like **** when something bad happens in your life. It's confusing to think about, to be honest. I'm going to read up on it a bit more.

Evidence would say that genetic and biological factors do play a role. However, it's widely viewed that that's only in as little as 8-10% of cases. While I can't dispute the evidence with any studies, I would tend to believe that that's highly inflated.

However, evidence is a plenty to show that environmental and social factors play the largest part in mental illnesses such as depression. So not only do they play an extremely dominant role, the environmental causes do tend to mean that in treatment of depression, and biological causes (if there are any at all) are irrelevant.
    Thanks.

You're welcome.

amacachi wrote: »
    Just reading above about the efficacy of anti-depressants, if one looks back through the thread they might see where I was dismissed for suggesting that they're not as beneficial as certain areas would like to make out. In case you're wondering Conor it's been shown several times that SSRIs increase serotonin levels quickly but the mood effect takes far longer to occur (if indeed it does). The specific circumstances in which they're prescribed would be pretty damn interesting to me.

I've often been dismissed in other fora too! This time, however, I took the time to include all my references and links to clear evidence for what I'm saying. If people have a problem with it, they are more than welcome to post up studies for what they believe, or to contact these highly respected researchers and dispute it with them. I will have a read of that article, too.

Ed.

Lawliet wrote: »
    I’ve been debating for a while whether or not to post anything here for a while. I've never told this to anyone before, but in an attempt to be a bit more open I figured I'd just bite the bullet and go for it.

I've never been a particularly happy person and as I got older I become downright miserable. I got bullied pretty badly in secondary school and my home life wasn't much better. I never felt like I could talk to anyone about my problems, so many of them were tied family and it's not the kind of thing you tell people. Especially not when you live in a small rural community where half of your friend's parents and half of the school staff are friends with your parents.
    Long story short my mum's an alcoholic, prone to fits of psychosis. She wasn't the easiest person to be around growing up, but it really got bad around four years ago when my older brother went to college. With my dad away most of the time and no one else around, I got the worst of her abuse. I got a lot of severe anxiety attacks and started skipping school whenever she went to work, I just couldn't handle it any more. I use to just lock myself away and go for days without speaking to anyone. I'd already been self harming for a few years, but that was nothing compared to amount of damage I did over the next couple of years.

Looking back I don't know how I got through it at all. I heard something once: that if you hit absolute rock bottom - when you're genuinely convinced you might as well just die- if you go three weeks without attempting to commit suicide, then you probably never will. I don’t know if that's true at all, but just the idea that 'if I can get through this then nothing will be quite this bad again,' probably saved my life a few times. And eventually things got a bit better.

I know it hasn't just gone away and I still have a few emotional problems I should probably deal with, but I can't bring myself to look about help when I'm kind of doing okay-ish right now.

Wow, just after reading that, and all l can say is that you sound like an amazing person for getting through all of that by yourself- you must be an incredibly strong person. It sounds as if you've tried to get over most of it and move on, which is great because your life is moving on, and so are you. Sorry if some of this is ilegible, I wrote it on my phone because I read your post on boards mobile and just had to reply.

amacachi wrote: »
    How so?

Is it not best to deal with it early on than leaving it simmer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Advertisement