Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had depression?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

a family member commited suicide a few years back he was 16 he never showed any signs of depression is there a form of hideen depression he allways acted like he was happy

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Have I heard had depression? I would say so, although it was very mild. I had consulted my GP about it mid-summer last year after a few weeks of just being miserable (between barely eating, not having the motivation to do anything at all and not even wanting to get out of bed) - his first thought was mild depression, possibly anorexia as well, although he did draw blood just to rule out other possibilities. After getting the results of the blood tests, he gave me the details for a counsellor and said that he wouldn't prescribe any medication as he felt it was a last resort if the counselling sessions weren't causing an improvement.

Went to the counsellor for a a few weeks. Annoyingly, the length of time I spent in counselling still bothers me a little bit - for some reason, I have this idea in my head that counselling is always a long-term thing (a number of months, at least) but, while I did find it helpful, I didn't feel as though more sessions beyond the 5 or 6 (I think) I had booked would be very beneficial - I suppose a lot of the burden was from carrying around all the negative thoughts, experiences and stress from secondary school and the two years I'd wasted in college doing a course, combined with the relief that there were options availabe for getting back into education - even if it would take that bit longer to get where I wanted to be.

I can't say I'm entirely rid of it - I still have my [infrequent] moments and trying to cope with social anxiety [not a doctor's diagnosis, just what it seems like to me], although I don't know if that is/was caused by the depression or just worsened from it - but I can say that things have definitely improved over the last year. Although, the one thing I've noticed is that (in my case, at least, although I would hope that it applies to others) just talking about it - whether it be over a number of sessions with a counsellor or just saying "Yeah, some bad sh!t has happened at some point in my life", it feels immensely relieving just to get it off your chest rather than let it tear you up on the inside. Even now, saying it in anonymity, it feels good to know that I'm regaining control over myself, and my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Best of luck with the recovery Degausser :) Hope it all works out perfectly for you!

My family pretty much kept my brothers depression/etc until 4 weeks ago (Around/about that anyway..). That was when he attempted suicide but he'd tried it twice or something like that. I didn't know much was going on like, but yeah he'd been seeing a psychologist with years or shizz.. I'm still not sure what's wrong with him because I don't want to ask, but he seems ok now.. But then again he always seemed ok to me, so I'm not sure! But yeeeeeeah..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

a family member commited suicide a few years back he was 16 he never showed any signs of depression is there a form of hideen depression he allways acted like he was happy

He just bottled it up I'd say until it got too much.

Happens mostly in men, that's why more men commit suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

*emerges from boards darkness*

Have ye heard about See Change's Make A Ripple campaign? If someone's already mentioned it, I do apologise, but I'll explain it anyway in case they haven't! The idea is that you share your experience of mental illness and/or the stigma that's attached to that, or your experience of a friend's/relative's illness, and tell your story, in 100 words or less. You can attach your name to it (so as far as I know, it'd be like "Aoife's story") or you can remain anonymous. They're going to put all of these stories up on the Make A Ripple website, and others can then start to contribute their stories, the idea being that the more people talk about it, the more the stigma is reduced or at the very least, someone in the depths of some mental illness can read it and feel less alone, and/or more normal.

Seeing as some of you are openly talking about experiences of mental illness here, why not share it? If you're interested, you just email Mark Byrne at mbyrne@seechange.ie :) If you want more information, it's all there on the website http://seechange.ie/index.php/make-a-ripple. The website doesn't lauch til May... 4th, I think, so you've probably still got time to get them in for the launch, if not (or if you'd prefer not to email that guy at all), you can definitely post them once the site has launched!

(If this reads like an ad/as spam, that's not how it's meant. I just thought some of you would be interested :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Yeah I emailed him about that last week! He said to have the piece in before last Wednesday but I was unbelievably busy last week and forgot about it -_- It's a really great idea for a campaign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Never knew this thread existed. My story is yes, I have suffered from depression since the fine old age of 14. Well got diagnosed at 14 after a pretty serious suicide attempt. Got put on Prozac on and off for 3 years. Used to self harm pretty badly. Had a few more attempts between the ages of 14 and 17. Thanks be to f*ck I snapped out of it.

It's been a year since I've taken my last batch of meds and I'm delighted :D I got a prescription in November for em but decided against taking them and that was the best decision of my life. Decided I wasnt gonna let it control me anymore.

I was told I had major depression that occurs in episodes. Was pretty horrific tbh. I did some things I was never proud of but at the same stage it was an excellent learning curve for me. I found out who I was by recovering and I found out my true friends. (I have to thank SarahBeep! for being excellent supporting me through it as well :) Seriously, she saved my life on more than one occasion.)

While I was recovering (about a year after I tried my attempt) my best friend hung herself. Highly traumatic for all of us, especially me as her and I were f*cked up together. Whats worse was she made national news over it.

To anyone suffering out there, trust me, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Just make sure you've a strong support network and the will to drag yourself out of it. I let it control me for too long because I felt safe having it. Now, my life is almost perfect. I have a fantastic group of friends to whom I love dearly, an amazing boyfriend who's gonna support me, the best parents in the world who mainly helped me recover and I have a great life in college.

I'm now healthy, happy and recovered but yet there is no promise I wont relapse. But heres to hoping I wont! At the fine old age of 18, I can now look back and laugh at my mistakes and my depression. Wasn't funny at the time but hell, it's a great learning curve as long as you can pull yourself out of it. Just don't let it define you and take over you and control you. I nearly died and if I hadnt been caught I can promise you I wouldnt be here today.

Remember, if you are depressed, get help asap. Life can never be so bad that you need to end it. I learned that the hard way. The road to recovery is long, but its well worth it if you can learn to love and feel human again.

Now I'm gonna stop rambling as I could go on for forever on this topic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

I suffered from a mild depression through all of 6th year and my first year in college. It seemed to come to a head with a close member of my family having a psychotic episode and ending up in hospital for a few months, that obviously had a profound effect on my life. What should have been one of the best years of my life was without a doubt the worst.

The most annoying thing was that I never fully understood what was happening. I simply lost interest in social activities, gave up playing sport, put on weight. Friends didn't know what was going on, and as is unfortunately the case with being a male in this country, there's a tendency to just bottle it all up.

Luckily my family eventually could tell something wasn't right and since last year I've been seeing a therapist. Since last year I have made a lot of progress and am starting to feel positive about life and the future.:)

Negativity was a huge part of my depression, I stopped trying in nearly everything important to me because I just couldn't see a positive result. It infuriates me thinking of all the experiences that I missed from being a coward, so I'm using that rage to push myself in every aspect of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Excedion

Yeah. I was diagnosed with "primary depression" as the doctor termed it. Had been dealing with it for 4 years before i was diagnosed. Still pops its head up at times but i try to exercise regularly which i find helps a lot. The treatment options were honestly bollocks, heavy antidepressants, a trip to a "facility" or councilling. When people are confronted with those options just like me they go for the least ****ing scary one. Wish i hadve went for the antidepressants because councilling is absolute bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Seeing as some of you are openly talking about experiences of mental illness here, why not share it? If you're interested, you just email Mark Byrne at mbyrne@seechange.ie :) If you want more information, it's all there on the website http://seechange.ie/index.php/make-a-ripple. The website doesn't lauch til May... 4th, I think, so you've probably still got time to get them in for the launch, if not (or if you'd prefer not to email that guy at all), you can definitely post them once the site has launched!

(If this reads like an ad/as spam, that's not how it's meant. I just thought some of you would be interested :))
    I got this info from the same place SarcFair did so it's definitely not a scam or anything and a really good cause.I've my story sent in, not sure if it was what they were looking for or not,but I'm glad to help.

Well,My experiences are fairly documented in this thread.I can honestly say that right now is the happiest I have ever been in my life,ever.It's one of the main reasons I was so active on boards was people I could share my problems with and I could maybe help with theirs.
    It's only now I'm realising how truly depressed I was,I knew it was serious as I've lost most of my family to suicide but I always had a small feeling it was only in my head or I felt it was worse than it was,that's one of the reasons I never said anything.
    After getting more informed I see how dangerous my situation was,I was one of those silent cases you hear of;seemed relatively happy on the outside,I can remember keeping myself away from all the things people have mentioned;Self harm,drug abuse.Not to pass any judgement on those things,but I thought it was too easy,there was too much chance someone would notice if I presented symptoms,it was a conscious choice for fear someone would help me.In a sick kind of way I was afraid of being helped,I didn't deserve it,I wasn't worth being helped.
    I lived with suicidal thoughts for months,for an entire summer it took hours to get out of bed,I'd sleep only a few hours and wake up around 6,I'd spend 4 hours telling my self there was no point getting out of bed.I had the whole thing planned out;I wasn't going to take any chances with pills or anything,drowning in a lake miles from a road was for me,no chance I'd be found.But I never did it,a combination of wonderful people here on boards,a fear of destroying my family after all they've been through[I would have made suicide #4] and the thought of death being an escape from these horrible feelings,i deserved to sit in misery not to get away from it at all.This carried on for most of the last 6 years.
    It's a miracle I could never man up and actually do it,but I never did.
    I'm glad I didn't though.I used to say people should hold on that everything would get better,but I never really believed it.
    Now,I'm in college doing a degree I love and have met the girl of my dreams.Please,don't lose hope and thing always turn out well in time.I've experienced some horrible things in my life and came out the other side.
    Problems are only as big as you think they are.
    -Alan
    As always,I'm just a PM away if anyone needs me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I haven't been reading boards much lately (and by lately, I mean the past week or so; a week without boards is a long time in Knifeyland!) but I've always followed this thread closely.

I honestly have no idea where I am right now in terms of recovery or whatever. I know I could definitely be a lot worse. My GP wants to lower my anti-depressants dosage after the exams, with an aim toi eventually weaning me off them. And part of me wants that, but part of me is also terrified; it's like walking a tightrope and all of a sudden realising that there's no safety net below you.

If I pass my exams, get my Masters in UCD and get a job or an internship for the summer, then I'm fairly confident I'll be able to say I'm happy again.

If everyone doesn't work out though.......ugh, I don't even want to think about it. I've spent too long getting used to disappointment, and having my life full of people who'll eventually just end up letting me down (yours truly being the biggest culprit there, of course :rolleyes:) The weird thing is part of me never wants to get better. I have this victim complex where I basically thrive on people feeling sorry for me. And when I see someone with worse problems than I do (i.e. about 99% of the people on this planet) I can't help but feel a little resentful that MY problems aren't as big and therefore I've lost the right to complain. It's a stupid, selfish, twisted mindset....but one that's always there. Plus, there's the fact that if I'm healthy and not depressed, then who or what do I blame when shít goes wrong in my life? For me, being depressed is almost like having an excuse for achieving nothing in life; again, stupid twisted mindset but it's what comes out every so often.

Sometimes I wonder if there are people on this earth that are just so fundamentally damaged or pathetic that they simply don't deserve to be happy. My instinct is to say that that's bollocks, because I believe that the universe is a cold, random, uncaring place and there's no such thing as karma or people getting what they deserve. But I still can't help thinking that if I can't make myself happy, even when my life is a walk in the park compared to so many others, then I don't deserve to be.

Sorry for turning this thread into my own personal blog btw, it's just a lot easier to write stuff down here than just repeat it in my head all the time. Hopefully in 6 months time I'll really be able to say I'm happy. If not.........I honestly don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Sometimes I wonder if there are people on this earth that are just so fundamentally damaged or pathetic that they simply don't deserve to be happy. My instinct is to say that that's bollocks, because I believe that the universe is a cold, random, uncaring place and there's no such thing as karma or people getting what they deserve. But I still can't help thinking that if I can't make myself happy, even when my life is a walk in the park compared to so many others, then I don't deserve to be.

I know exactly how you feel. Even though it does seem so ridiculous when I think about it rationally, at the back of my head there's that little voice that says "Shauna, you suck. Why on earth should you be happy?". But I suppose that's all part of being depressed.

That's the sort of stuff I work on in the CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) sessions - thinking errors and stuff like that. This is a list of the thinking errors that can occur - it was so funny when i was handed the sheet with that list the first day, cuz I was just like "yep do that, and that, and that..." all the way down :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

If everyone doesn't work out though.......ugh, I don't even want to think about it. I've spent too long getting used to disappointment, and having my life full of people who'll eventually just end up letting me down (yours truly being the biggest culprit there, of course :rolleyes:) The weird thing is part of me never wants to get better. I have this victim complex where I basically thrive on people feeling sorry for me. And when I see someone with worse problems than I do (i.e. about 99% of the people on this planet) I can't help but feel a little resentful that MY problems aren't as big and therefore I've lost the right to complain. It's a stupid, selfish, twisted mindset....but one that's always there. Plus, there's the fact that if I'm healthy and not depressed, then who or what do I blame when shít goes wrong in my life? For me, being depressed is almost like having an excuse for achieving nothing in life; again, stupid twisted mindset but it's what comes out every so often

I had that exact same feeling for AGES. I loved being labeled the girl who had depression because I felt it defined me as a person and nobody else could take that away from me. I was that person that loved getting sympathy and attention because I could use it to my advantage (part of me still does xD) Eventually I just grew to getting sick of feeling miserable and down the whole time and relying on drugs to make me feel better. Also the fact I wanted to lead a normal life without my parents breathing down my neck about me not being able to cope. People yelling at me also helped :D

You'll soon snap out of it once your ready. Just takes time for you to accept that your better than you give yourself credit for and people will love you with or without your depression. Being able to relabel myself as the happy crazy loveable girl who loves fairies and mythical creatures was the best day of my life. So I still have a definition for myself. It just happens to be a way cooler one that people prefer. :cool:

Hope you get better soon though :) Were all here if you need us!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hope you get better soon though :) Were all here if you need us!

This +1.

As for me?

I've been feeling good for a while now. I can't think of any time I've felt depressed since this thread was started. Prior to that I'd gone through an awful six months, inside my own head at least.

Tonight though, I felt something different, something better. For a long time now I've felt that I just didn't get excited about anything. I'd always be calm. It didn't matter if it was Christmas eve, exam time, people's birthdays, anything. I just didn't feel the nervous excitement I thought should be normal with big events.

I felt it tonight for the first time in ages. :) Was playing a soccer match, the last league game of the season. There was some comment in the local paper that we might be promoted if we won our last game and finished 3rd. We still don't know if it's true, but we won anyway. As the game was starting I could feel myself shivering, had to remind myself to breathe slowly, had to make an effort to keep focussed. That was before we even had a lead to defend! It was a nice feeling though. I used to get it before every game when I was younger/before I started going through less-than-happy spells.

I haven't been reading boards much lately (and by lately, I mean the past week or so; a week without boards is a long time in Knifeyland!) but I've always followed this thread closely.

I honestly have no idea where I am right now in terms of recovery or whatever. I know I could definitely be a lot worse. My GP wants to lower my anti-depressants dosage after the exams, with an aim toi eventually weaning me off them. And part of me wants that, but part of me is also terrified; it's like walking a tightrope and all of a sudden realising that there's no safety net below you.

If I pass my exams, get my Masters in UCD and get a job or an internship for the summer, then I'm fairly confident I'll be able to say I'm happy again.

If everyone doesn't work out though.......ugh, I don't even want to think about it. I've spent too long getting used to disappointment, and having my life full of people who'll eventually just end up letting me down (yours truly being the biggest culprit there, of course :rolleyes:) The weird thing is part of me never wants to get better. I have this victim complex where I basically thrive on people feeling sorry for me. And when I see someone with worse problems than I do (i.e. about 99% of the people on this planet) I can't help but feel a little resentful that MY problems aren't as big and therefore I've lost the right to complain. It's a stupid, selfish, twisted mindset....but one that's always there. Plus, there's the fact that if I'm healthy and not depressed, then who or what do I blame when shít goes wrong in my life? For me, being depressed is almost like having an excuse for achieving nothing in life; again, stupid twisted mindset but it's what comes out every so often.

Sorry for turning this thread into my own personal blog btw, it's just a lot easier to write stuff down here than just repeat it in my head all the time. Hopefully in 6 months time I'll really be able to say I'm happy. If not.........I honestly don't know.

My GP lowered mine to help me in the exams and I had to improve my diet and breakfast. But everyone is different and I'm an exception, in this country especially. What's getting you down about your life?

No point in keeping that stuff in. Just need to post that stuff.

I'm open to a PM, anytime of course, from anyone.

Are you getting therapy also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I can remember keeping myself away from all the things people have mentioned;Self harm,drug abuse.Not to pass any judgement on those things,but I thought it was too easy,there was too much chance someone would notice if I presented symptoms,

tbh I resent that a bit. There's nothing 'easy' about self harm or drug abuse. I can only speak for myself, but it's not exactly something I paraded about the place - my parents found out about it after ten years of hiding scars and wounds, and after half a year of abuse when it came to a head in hospital. Having to be sneaky and devious around people to hide your behaviour isn't 'easy' at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I've started using this program in the link below. It's supposed to teach you cognitive behaviour therapy skills or something if you're prone to bouts of feeling down, depression or forms of anxiety. It kind of assesses your thought patterns and teaches you to turn them around. I've found it helpful so far. Hopefully it works somewhat for me and for the good people of C&H. :)

www.moodgym.anu.edu.au

tbh I resent that a bit. There's nothing 'easy' about self harm or drug abuse. I can only speak for myself, but it's not exactly something I paraded about the place - my parents found out about it after ten years of hiding scars and wounds, and after half a year of abuse when it came to a head in hospital. Having to be sneaky and devious around people to hide your behaviour isn't 'easy' at all.

As a man, I can understand where Ginja is coming from having never touched that stuff myself but yeah I agree with your sentiment entirely, it isn't easy at all. Did you take drugs to escape from your problems? Was it the drugs that triggered the psychosis? If you don't mind me asking of course. Also begs the question if self harm is a female thing mainly. I tried it and didn't see the point in doing it. I knew about hitting an artery and how dangerous that can be, reading information like that throughout my teens helped save me in a way but I guess I just never wanted to go that far with knives, razors etc. When I saw that girl in hospital first hand it put me off even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

flyswatter wrote: »
    As a man, I can understand where Ginja is coming from having never touched that stuff myself but yeah I agree with your sentiment entirely, it isn't easy at all. Did you take drugs to escape from your problems? Was it the drugs that triggered the psychosis? If you don't mind me asking of course. Also begs the question if self harm is a female thing mainly. I tried it and didn't see the point in doing it. I knew about hitting an artery and how dangerous that can be, reading information like that throughout my teens helped save me in a way but I guess I just never wanted to go that far.

Of course it's not a female thing! :confused: That's like saying depression is a female thing or something, it's ridiculous to say. If a person is self harming there's obviously a reason for it, regardless of gender. It's a way to hold some control over something in your life, it helps to make something feel normal. If everything else is going wrong, it's something to turn to in that situation.

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Of course it's not a female thing! :confused: That's like saying depression is a female thing or something, it's ridiculous to say. If a person is self harming there's obviously a reason for it, regardless of gender. It's a way to hold some control over something in your life, it helps to make something feel normal. If everything else is going wrong, it's something to turn to in that situation.

Fair enough Noel, but its not something I noticed being in hospital for 3/4 months and afterwards as an outpatient on 2/3 recovery programmes. There were several guys in those groups, this was during summer mainly, so t shirts and shorts were a regular thing, no visible scars. Not saying it doesn't happen, I didn't notice that anyway, maybe men deal with it differently? I've never been in pieta house, is there more women than men there who self harm, very interested to know this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

maybe men deal with it differently?
    I'm sorry but I hate these kinds of statements. Even ignoring the unfortunate implications of responding to posts about self harm being "easy," and immediately calling it a "female thing." There's already a huge amount of gender bias when it comes to mental illness, particularly in self harm cases where's this long held stereotype of the self harmer being fragile young women a la Girl, Interrupted. Society loves to pathologize women while inferring that "real" men hurt others instead of themselves.

Also research shows that rates of self harm between men and women are pretty much the same.

Lawliet wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I hate these kinds of statements. Even ignoring the unfortunate implications of responding to posts about self harm being "easy," and immediately calling it a "female thing." There's already a huge amount of gender bias when it comes to mental illness, particularly in self harm cases where's this long held stereotype of the self harmer being fragile young women a la Girl, Interrupted. Society loves to pathologize women while inferring that "real" men hurt others instead of themselves.

Also research shows that rates of self harm between men and women are pretty much the same.

What I'm saying here is that I believe men are more likely to self harm in different ways. Are men not more likely to take out their frustration in other ways like through aggression or worse just holding it in and not telling anyone? That's why I've been encouraging men like me with my illness to open up because it's not something men like to do in fairness. 4 times as many women report self harm like cutting. Women are also a lot better at expressing emotions than men and opening up.

Does this have a knock on effect through the suicide rate being higher for men?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Just to let everyone know there is a Darkness into Light 5km walk on all over the country this Saturday morning at 4.30am for the Pieta House (late tonight in other words!). There's one in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Ennis and Galway. Online registration is now closed but you can register on the morning if you go early! I'll be doing the walk here in Kerry with my friends. We finish work at 4am and are going straight there! It's safe to say we'll sleep soundly when we get home!

http://darknessintolight.pieta.ie/Index.html

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Are men not more likely to take out their frustration in other ways like through aggression or worse just holding it in and not telling anyone?

That's something I was led to believe when I was younger. I don't know if it's still true. Patterns change from generation to generation. I can only speak from my own experience, but I know my friends can tell me anything. They know it too. We don't hide these things from each other, and make a point to look out for each other. Aggression is something I almost never see, at least not in ways I'd connect to medium/long-term issues.
    That's why I've been encouraging men like me with my illness to open up because it's not something men like to do in fairness.

Once again, fair play for encouraging more communication about mental health issues. It's something I've always tried to do, both on-line and elsewhere. Threads like this one and some of the recent After Hours discussions should be read by everyone. There's so much of value in here. Support, hope, recovery, shared experiences of harsh reality, links and details of where people can go for help. It's all here, and more is always welcome.

I've never had a formal diagnosis of depression. That said, I know I've felt down. I talk about it. My friends talk about it. I see men posting about it on Boards too. Maybe we're exceptions, but I'd like to think that more men are aware that talking can help.
    Women are also a lot better at expressing emotions than men and opening up.

Similar to the first point, but not really as simple as that. I think this stereo-type is on the way out. Maybe it was true of previous generations, but I believe our has changed. At least, I hope it's changing!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

What I'm saying here is that I believe men are more likely to self harm in different ways. Are men not more likely to take out their frustration in other ways like through aggression or worse just holding it in and not telling anyone?

There can be many different reasons for self harming. If somebody found it impossible to deal with their problems by themselves and had huge difficulty opening up to other people, their desperation could drive them to doing it. It doesn't fix anything, but the surge of pain and adrenaline can provide some limited catharsis and relief from emotional numbness - or maybe by doing it, you feel you've punished yourself enough to deserve feeling the way you do. Obviously it's not a healthy short or long-term solution, and the reasons for doing it don't always make sense, particularly to others, but sometimes it can seem like the only possible escape.

As you said, many guys tend to keep their troubles to themselves. Cutting can be a way of coping with depression without seeking others' help, so I don't think guys would be less likely to depend on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Got a link to any of that research?

IO, things were different three years ago even.

It's a joke that the institutions are just starting to be closed down now. That primetime investigation was scary.

I can't believe what I read on boards a while back. Someone said St. Patricks was a dungeon or something. Biggest load of crap I've ever read.

Things are improving but there is still a good bit of stigma with Psychosis definitely more so here.

Also, men generally don't self harm by cutting themselves and I suppose with more testosterone they feel like punching stuff, hopefully not other people but a punching bag, or something like a wall. I've seen it happen. I know someone who had a lot of anger inside and was a bully. He got help, changed and it's good to know there was at least a legitimate reason for that.

Also, men generally don't self harm by cutting themselves and I suppose with more testosterone they feel like punching stuff, hopefully not other people but a punching bag, or something like a wall. I've seen it happen. I know someone who had a lot of anger inside and was a bully. He got help, changed and it's good to know there was at least a legitimate reason for that.

I'm not sure how right you are there. I'm trying to find more info, but the first source I found had this to say:
    Each year during 2002-2005 about 11,000 DSH presentations were made to hospital by approximately 8,600 persons. Based on the four-year data, 8.2% of the DSH patients made a repeat presentation within 3 months of their index presentation, 11.9% repeated within 6 months and 16.3% within 12 months. Thus, risk of repetition was highest in the first months after a DSH presentation.

Repetition rates were higher among patients aged 35-44 years, among men and among patients who had presented following self-cutting. In general, self-cutting was more common among male DSH presentations and this explained why men were observed to have a higher repetition rate than women.

http://www.injuryobservatory.net/about_iobi.html

There's this as well, but I don't know exactly where they got their info:
    Over the past year, one in five females and one in seven males have engaged in some form of self-injury type behavior.

http://www.scottcounseling.com/wordpress/cutting-self-injury-facts-statistics/2009/02/06/

I have a book somewhere from the ASIST course, so I'll post up a few quotes from that tonight. The trouble with statistics and self-harm is that it's usually hidden. The full figures are never really identified, only estimated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

What's getting you down about your life?
    Ah, the $1,000,000 question......What's getting me down? Nothing. And everything. I can't define it, and I don't know what I can change to make life any better for myself.

This gives me an excuse to use one of my favourite song lyrics: "If I knew where I was going, I would already be there." - Smashing Pumpkins "The Aeroplane Flies High"
    Are you getting therapy also?
    Sort of. Had one appointment with a behavioural therapist, am going back in June. Didn't inspire a whole lot of confidence tbh; all I got from it was a spiel about how suicide is "cowardly and selfish" :rolleyes: I reckon they saw me as someone who didn't need to be there; that happened before with a counsellor. Made me lose faith in mental health services quite a bit. :(

On the upside, I've been seeing a (different) counsellor for the past few months and I find her really easy to talk to.

There's already a huge amount of gender bias when it comes to mental illness, particularly in self harm cases where's this long held stereotype of the self harmer being fragile young women a la Girl, Interrupted.
    On a completely unrelated note, I love that film.

But the gender bias thing is something that's slowly being eroded, I think. The more educated people become about mental illness, the more likely that gender bias and assumptions like that gradually become less assumed.
    What I'm saying here is that I believe men are more likely to self harm in different ways. Are men not more likely to take out their frustration in other ways like through aggression or worse just holding it in and not telling anyone? That's why I've been encouraging men like me with my illness to open up because it's not something men like to do in fairness. 4 times as many women report self harm like cutting. Women are also a lot better at expressing emotions than men and opening up.

Does this have a knock on effect through the suicide rate being higher for men?

Getting back into very personal stuff again: I've never "properly" self-harmed. I've thought about it. But never did it. Simply because I have such a low pain threshold. There have been times, when I'm feeling really really down, when I consider myself weak and pathetic for NOT self-harming; I basically think to myself "You can't even hurt yourself correctly. You're too chicken to take a little pain. You're pathetic." And I'm fully aware of how serious self-harm is: I know someone who did it before and felt so terrified and concerned for them. I know it's not something that anyone should brag about or be proud of......yet my twisted little mind will say "They can do it. Why can't you? You're chickenshít."
    ...........God, even just reading that back, I hate the way my mind works at times!

On a similar note, I've never personally abused drugs but have gotten drunk by myself on a number of occasions; it became a regular thing during certain bleak periods last year (around this time of year, actually). I also started smoking a lot more; normally I don't smoke and would only occasionally have one or two on a night out or something, but the attraction of doing something that was somewhat harmful (and the fact it gave me something to do when bored) made it more attractive. I reckon I have a healthy relationship with alcohol now, and I stopped habitually smoking quite easily. It's not comparable to serious self harm but if things took a major turn for the worse I suspect my relationship with alcohol would start becoming worrying again...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Please excuse any unintended ignorance, but KnifeWRENCH (or anyone else with depression), have you tried any lifestyle changes? Like more exercise/more sleep/better eating/etc?

Advertisement