Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had depression?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Grindylow, as someone who's been through pretty much the same situation and has come out the other side, it does get better.

I know how shít it can be sitting at home everyday doing nothing, my best advice is look for work, give yourself loads of projects to do to keep yourself busy and you'll be surprised how fast the time passes.

Just hang on in there, it gets better and at the end of the day if it makes you happier, it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I had a nice text off my mum before :( I miss her, I teared up a bit to be honest :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I freakin' hate how depression is still treated as a taboo subject these days. I've suffered from it myself and still do at times, yet out of the few people I actually trusted enough to talk to them about it, nearly all of them just said "ah you'll be grand sure, you're only a little down"... It seems that a lot of the time people either aren't bothered to help, or are afraid to know what it's like.

I know that sometimes it can feel all too much and just too hard to keep going, especially when there is so much stuff going on. But believe me, it gets better, you will also be surprised at who is really there for you, it might be someone close to you or someone you just met. Sometimes there's a person who just wants to listen to you. Oh and hugs... Lots of hugs...

Ger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I posted this in "share something" thread but this thread is probably more fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

So it's about a year since my last truly depressive episode, and I feel as though it's rather important to post around this time, since depression about money, family issues etc. seems to really take hold around the Christmas period.

Last December, I really didn't see the point in existing. I was horribly, horribly down- 17 was the last time I had experienced anything like it. I was inexpressibly worried about where my life was heading . I was starting a job in a school which I really didn't want to do, and then after that going on Erasmus to a place I had never been with someone I hardly knew. Why these opportunities didn't make me happy, but instead make me miserable, I can only guess at it. I suppose when you feel like you don't know where you belong, being pushed into things is rather distressing. I didn't talk to anyone about it for this very reason, until (as usual with me), I had a bit of a breakdown.

Looking back, it was a learning experience, and not one I'm sad to have had, because if there's one thing it has taught me, is that things get better. And it sounds like garbage, people say it so often, but it is thoroughly true. I'm changed, for the better, in this past year. Because I had to get through some difficulty, a difficulty that was as undefinable and yet as malevolent as anything could be. I can sit here and honestly say to anyone, to keep on going, and you will be rewarded for it, I think. Maybe not in the way you want, right away, but you will have given yourself something to build on.

Be good to yourself, and everyone around you, as much as possible this Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's a new thread about depression and mental health in After Hours this morning, for anyone interested.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056481009

I haven't written much of my own story here for a while, but I've a post in AH if anyone's in the mood for more of my usual style.

It's a great thread too. So heartwarming and uplifting to finally see people being able to discuss these things openly now.

Slowly, very slowly, the stigma is being removed.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hey, dont think I've been in here before (i r old, and will die soon :(:) )

Didnt know about this thread but its pretty awesome! Taboo and stigma are things I greatly dislike and if it means standing up and buttonholing something.... oh i'm yer man! Its so good to see you guys'n'gals looking out for each other. It wasnt like that in my day (dear god would you listen to me!). Be strong for each other and f*ck the old ways, this is your world.

Be well and what a great thread you have here...

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Hey, dont think I've been in here before (i r old, and will die soon :(:) )

Didnt know about this thread but its pretty awesome! Taboo and stigma are things I greatly dislike and if it means standing up and buttonholing something.... oh i'm yer man! Its so good to see you guys'n'gals looking out for each other. It wasnt like that in my day (dear god would you listen to me!). Be strong for each other and f*ck the old ways, this is your world.

Be well and what a great thread you have here...

DeV.

Nonsense DeV! You're far from old and you'll never die!

I'm not doing so good at the moment. Just hoping Christmas will pass quickly as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I've never posted in this thread before.
    For some reason, I've been having a pretty bad time of it lately - no real reason. But my psychology teacher had a chat with me about May, when she said she thought I could be depressed. Yeah, I dunno. DeV's post in AH really really spoke to me, it sums up exactly how I feel.

Like I said in that thread, I've got two friends who I've spoke to this about, and one in particular who couldn't be more helpful, and will put up with anyway; but it doesn't make it feel better. And the fact I've actually got a good life just makes me feel worse, I've got every reason to feel happy - so why don't I?

Ah well. I went to the doctors last week about very messed up sleeping patterns, and mentioned that I hadn't been feeling great recently, but he said I'm probably stressed about my exams, which wasn't very helpful as I couldn't care less about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

All of this time on Boards and I didn't know this was here? Bad form!

I might have had a better Christmas last year if I had known it was here but another website let me vent. I suppose it was better that way coz when I felt I could move on, I closed my account and had the thread locked and I felt I had walked away from that time in my life. I'm always on here and if I had written loads about it here, I'd probably keep coming back and reading it and it wouldn't do me any good.

I know my Mam suffers from it and my Aunt on my Dad's side has it bad so maybe it's genetic and all that was needed was a trigger to set it off (a fatal bus crash in my case).

I'm good now though. Struggled over the finish line at college and was proud to get my degree, playing football now and studying fitness and gym instruction which means I'm always exercising so I'm not lounging about the place.

I'm anxious now though. Always anxious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

There's a new thread about depression and mental health in After Hours this morning, for anyone interested.

I haven't written much of my own story here for a while, but I've a post in AH if anyone's in the mood for more of my usual style.

That really is an excellent thread.
    I wrote a bit in it earlier; won't go typing it all out again so link is here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

http://www.burgessct.com/2011/10/bully-discuss/

I think this is a good video on cyberbullying and some of its effects. Seems that there's been quite a few teen suicides, involving some part of the internet/social media, in the US lately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

That is an amazing thread. I have had to hide tears from my family while reading it.

I may or may not post here in the next few days. I've written a 700 word blog draft tonight on the subject, so I will see what happens with that tomorrow.

Thanks a million for sharing the thread, IO. It really is an inspiration.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html

Stolen from the main thread. But it's really very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

The bit up to the video store is like I wrote it myself! Thanks for sharing it, didn't see it on the other thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Okay, so, if you know/suspect somebody suffers from depression, what should and shouldn't you do to help?

*takes out notepad and pencil*

Sorry if this has been covered before :(

Okay, so, if you know/suspect somebody suffers from depression, what should and shouldn't you do to help?

*takes out notepad and pencil*

Sorry if this has been covered before :(

Shouldn't

Confront them about it
    Tell them to cheer up
    Organize help/tell family without telling them first

Should

Listen to them
    Probe the question with them, delicately as possible
    Ask them how they want to handle it.

Oh yeah, and DON'T - Tell them what they're going to do, or what they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

And none of that 'I know what you're going through' bullsh*t, everyone is different.

• Advertisement

And be Patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I should really post something in here, but I can't bring myself to do it yet.

decisions wrote: »
    I should really post something in here, but I can't bring myself to do it yet.

Just say it. Saying it, feels a lot better than keeping it inside.

And sad Matt needs to shut up. I need to go die in a hole somewhere so that I don't inflict myself on people anymore, cos I'm so disgusting.

Silly post was silly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

The other day my friend told me he thinks I'm depressed...

Aoifey! wrote: »
    The other day my friend told me he thinks I'm depressed...

What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

cloud493 wrote: »
    What do you think?

:confused:

Grindylow wrote: »
    :confused:

I mean, he told you he thought you were depressed. What did that make you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

cloud493 wrote: »
    What do you think?

I dunno really, it had crossed my mind before but I dunno.

It just came as a shock when he said it, I'm never that girl that cries at parties and stuff, I'm the one taking care of them! He said it out of no where too, I wasn't upset or anything at the time, we were just chatting and he asked if I was depressed.

• Advertisement

Aoifey! wrote: »
    I dunno really, it had crossed my mind before but I dunno.

It just came as a shock when he said it, I'm never that girl that cries at parties and stuff, I'm the one taking care of them! He said it out of no where too, I wasn't upset or anything at the time, we were just chatting and he asked if I was depressed.

Would you consider yourself, happy like? Thats a bit of a clinical question mind, but still. Its often those who show the least symptoms, who suffer the worse(not that I'm implying anything about you)

Advertisement