Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had depression?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I was going to post this a while ago but I backed down at the last minute and cut and pasted it in case I changed my mind. I wrote out what I was feeling, sometimes I do this when I'm down... but on reading over it I always think I sound so ungrateful and unappreciative of how fortunate I am. Still, I did write this. I could hide it away somewhere on my hard-drive, but that would be much the same as bottling things up again. For once I think I should voice these thoughts somewhere. That way they're in the open, it makes the feelings a lot more real and I can't run away from them. So, here we go...

Damn emotions, I have so much difficulty comprehending them sometimes. I feel fine most of the time, but then there are these spells when I feel so low and loathe myself so much. They keep returning. I retreat into myself and live in my room with the curtains still drawn from the night before. It'll be hours before I work up the strength to shower, eat and take care of myself, because time doesn't really matter. I'm like this socially, too... there are all these friendly people around me that I really love, but I close myself off to them and don't connect myself with them in conversation like I really should. I'm afraid of them getting to know me, and letting them down, and getting myself hurt. I still obsess about the friends who I have failed.

The most productive thing I'll do will be sleeping again later, and soon, as more and more days pass like this I'll be older and no closer to accomplishing what I really want in life. I have every opportunity, nothing I should really complain about, and my parents are the way they are with me because they want me to think about my future realistically... however I feel empty and drained of all enthusiasm because there are aspirations I just won't let go of but cannot deal with yet. I feel so inert and pathetic, I hate who I am on days like these.

I'll be seeing a counsellor in just a few days, so that should hopefully help me understand myself. It's my first time going to one, so I'm both excited and worried that I'll be as useless at expressing myself as usual. It could be a very long 50 minutes if I can't speak openly.

You took the first step in speaking openly by posting this. It's not easy to admit these kinda things, even on the internet so well done (: I really do hope that things work out well for you with the counsellor, but don't feel bad if they don't. Sometimes, for some people, talking just doesn't come easy. There are many other kinds of therapy. I know I never really liked sitting in a room speaking about my most personal thoughts. If you feel like that too, don't give up - it isn't the end.

Lots of <3 for you :)

http://www.pieta.ie/

For anyone out there suffering from depression, anyone who self harms, anyone who has or who ever has had suicidal thoughts, I can't say enough great things about these guys. If you're a friend or a relative of someone who has self harmed etc., they're even there to offer support with that.

And it's all free. And if you send an e-mail, they'll get back to you so quickly. They deserve so much more than a mention in a thread from me, and so much more than I could ever give them back. If you're ever in a place where you don't know where to turn, and you can't talk to anyone, talk to them.

Counselling was never something I thought could be beneficial. I was always of the train of thought, "Talking isn't gonna help me, the past is the past and whinging about it for an hour isn't gonna do shit", so the lovely people at Pieta never asked me questions, and they never put me under any pressure to feel better... And then I just did. Gradually.

I still had bad days, and I still do, and maybe I'll always be inclined to be depressed, but Pieta House has given me a more positive outlook on life and when I needed someone to lean on, I got that and way, way more. Sometimes I'm still astounded by how much good there is out there, and in people.

Jeez, enough of the cheese from me! Seriously though, to anyone who thinks things won't ever look up - get in touch with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Ok guys, these last few days I was attending a doctor in Dublin for a new approach to curing my mental health problems. Most of you know I've tried a lot of things - anti-depressants (still on 'em), counselling, various healing therapies (hypnotherapy, acupuncture etc.), nutritionists blah blah blah. They've all made a difference, they've all helped A LOT. But not quite enough.

So the other day my Mum heard a doctor from Austrailia on the radio (he was giving a talk in Trinity) speaking about a type of psychiatry that is based around the developing scientific theory that people with mental illnesses are lacking certain chemicals in the brain/body. These doctors believe that bringing these chemicals up to normal levels will vastly improve mental health problems.

The only doctor in Europe who practices this type of medicine is based in Stillorgan - this is the guy I went to see. My appointment consisted of a brief psychiatric evaluation and then I had several blood tests taken this morning. His job is to examine them to see what chemicals I'm missing - he'll then prescribe me various vitamins to see if we can restore these chemical balances.

I've started a few vitamins/minerals so far (N-acetyl cysteine, Vit C, Vit E and Zinc) and I'll be on more after my results come back in 2-3 weeks.

I just thought I'd let people know about this type of medicine and maybe give a report of my progress every few weeks since it's a relatively new practice. I'd love to be off anti depressants so lets just see how this goes :)

Here is the website for more information: Biobalance Health

The doctor I attended is here
    Novella wrote: »

Wow, I never heard of them before! Thanks for the link :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I really hope it works out for you, Hotaru. <3
    And, of course, everyone else who is getting help. You all deserve it. :)

Hotaru wrote: »
    Ok guys, these last few days I was attending a doctor in Dublin for a new approach to curing my mental health problems. Most of you know I've tried a lot of things - anti-depressants (still on 'em), counselling, various healing therapies (hypnotherapy, acupuncture etc.), nutritionists blah blah blah. They've all made a difference, they've all helped A LOT. But not quite enough.

So the other day my Mum heard a doctor from Austrailia on the radio (he was giving a talk in Trinity) speaking about a type of psychiatry that is based around the developing scientific theory that people with mental illnesses are lacking certain chemicals in the brain/body. These doctors believe that bringing these chemicals up to normal levels will vastly improve mental health problems.

The only doctor in Europe who practices this type of medicine is based in Stillorgan - this is the guy I went to see. My appointment consisted of a brief psychiatric evaluation and then I had several blood tests taken this morning. His job is to examine them to see what chemicals I'm missing - he'll then prescribe me various vitamins to see if we can restore these chemical balances.

I've started a few vitamins/minerals so far (N-acetyl cysteine, Vit C, Vit E and Zinc) and I'll be on more after my results come back in 2-3 weeks.

I just thought I'd let people know about this type of medicine and maybe give a report of my progress every few weeks since it's a relatively new practice. I'd love to be off anti depressants so lets just see how this goes :)

Here is the website for more information: Biobalance Health

The doctor I attended is here

Wow, I never heard of them before! Thanks for the link :)

That sounds really interesting. I've actually been looking into alternatives lately too, 'cause like yourself, I've pretty much tried everything. So I'll definitely be checking this out, and would love to hear how you get on. :)

Yeah, great place. They don't prescribe medication or anything like that, but they're great to have as a support system and they will work with your own GP, psychiatrist and your family if you want so yeah, they are awesome.

• Advertisement

That sounds really interesting. I've actually been looking into alternatives lately too, 'cause like yourself, I've pretty much tried everything. So I'll definitely be checking this out, and would love to hear how you get on. :)

Yeah, great place. They don't prescribe medication or anything like that, but they're great to have as a support system and they will work with your own GP, psychiatrist and your family if you want so yeah, they are awesome.

Well I'll definitely be posting progress reports - apparently they have around 80% success rates and the doctor said he'd seen many people with the same sort of problems as me. Fingers crossed anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

http://www.pieta.ie/

For anyone out there suffering from depression, anyone who self harms, anyone who has or who ever has had suicidal thoughts, I can't say enough great things about these guys. If you're a friend or a relative of someone who has self harmed etc., they're even there to offer support with that.

Seriously though, to anyone who thinks things won't ever look up - get in touch with them.

This, times a million. Seriously, seriously brilliant people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Thanks for that info about that particular treatment Hotaru. I happened to be listening to that guy on that day. Sounded very interesting, might well look into that even though I'm feeling alright these days. If it helps to stop a relapse I'm all for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

I'm not sure if I could say I've ever suffered depression I am however a quite negative and dark person but I'm not sure if it's depression or just me being a teen. I have suffered panic attacks though. Can anyone get panic attacks or only certain people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

For anyone that's interesed, Pieta House is gonna be on Prime Time on RTE on the 5th August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

MrSir wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I could say I've ever suffered depression I am however a quite negative and dark person but I'm not sure if it's depression or just me being a teen. I have suffered panic attacks though. Can anyone get panic attacks or only certain people?

Hey, I don't know much about panic attacks as I've never had them myself...and reading about health issues on the internet is just dangerous. (Cause you might have like...a cold, but the internetz will convince you that you're dying.)

Have you seen your GP about this, though? I'm sure they'd be very helpful, and put your mind at rest. Being unsure about these things can often affect you more than the actual source...which sucks.

Soz for my lack of actual help. Go see a doctor!

For anyone that's interesed, Pieta House is gonna be on Prime Time on RTE on the 5th August.

I must remember to watch that on rte player the next day.

Also, if anyone is interested, I was hoping to do some fundraising for Pieta House, so if anybody feels like helping me out, that'd be so, so great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Also, if anyone is interested, I was hoping to do some fundraising for Pieta House, so if anybody feels like helping me out, that'd be so, so great.

Excellent idea, I'd definitely be on board. :)

I must remember to watch that on rte player the next day.

Me too, lemme know how I can help!

Thanks guys! I was thinking of something along the lines of a tea party, or a cake sale type thingy or a picnic, but do PM me if you have any better suggestions or ideas! :)

Thanks guys! I was thinking of something along the lines of a tea party, or a cake sale type thingy or a picnic, but do PM me if you have any better suggestions or ideas! :)

PICNIC WITH TEA AND CAKES

Om nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with depression. Ive always had it, but never bothered getting help. I had to go through a few different meds to find one that worked for me. Now I realised I was basically crazy for the good part of 30 years or so. After medication and councelling the fog over my brain has lifted. I can think and act so much clearer now. My thought process is 100x better now.

The kind of depression I have (there are 2 types) is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Which medication does a hellava job for me. However, other people who might have depression due to an event in their life, might need councelling instead of meds.

All I can say is, its never too late. You know yourself better than anyone else. Help is always there in many different forms, thing is, you have to want it. You'll be suprised by the positive change in your life once you get help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Some graphic stories (in both the "comic" sense of the word and the "not suitable for children" sense of the word).

They're not in any way happy stories, I definitely wouldn't recommend reading them if you're feeling down, but they're part of a book this guy created to inform people about, and attempt to reduce the stigma associated with, mental illness.
    Based in part on his experiences working in the psychiatric ward of a hospital in Britain.

Darkness

Suicide

Self-Harming.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

Hey, I don't know much about panic attacks as I've never had them myself...and reading about health issues on the internet is just dangerous. (Cause you might have like...a cold, but the internetz will convince you that you're dying.)

Have you seen your GP about this, though? I'm sure they'd be very helpful, and put your mind at rest. Being unsure about these things can often affect you more than the actual source...which sucks.

Soz for my lack of actual help. Go see a doctor!

Yeah you're right I read a bit about it on the web and it really isn't very helpful. Just freaks you out more then anything. Thanks for the help anyway. :D

Novella, I want to help too! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Can haz Charity Wurk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

Can haz Charity Wurk?

+ 1 :D

Yay! I thought that like maybe one person would wanna help! This is so gonna turn into 'C&H fundraising'! (:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I'd be up for helping too! (:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Oh no, the bandwagon is getting away slowly :eek:

*jumps on*

I wanna help too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

Been reading a few posts on here on and off in the past week.. Respect to all the folk who wrote such honest posts about their own experiences and I sincerely hope everything works out for ye.

To answer the question in the title, I honestly don't know. For maybe 6 months a few years ago I felt quite depressed, but never went to a doctor or anything. I didn't tell my parents because I was very young at the time so I'll never really know. It passed though, but every so often I get a little down. Usually it's when I've nothing to do and I have too much time on my hands.

If I have ever had depression, it's only been mild, and I have to say that I do feel better when I exercise regularly. My main motivation to exercise is for the mental as opposed to physical benefits.

Big <3 to anyone dealing with depression at the moment.. It'll all work out x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Novella, I'll help too in any way if I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Novella, I'll give a hand too. If you end up doing a cake sale or something, I'd be more than willing to make a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I'd also like to help with the fund-raising, Novella! :)

So, I had the first session with my counsellor yesterday. Just thought I should write out my experiences with it as a follow up on that last post... She was very nice and reassuring to talk to, but I'm not too sure if it was particularly useful. We discussed something that happened 6 years ago and certain anxieties I experience in social situations, but we didn't begin discussing any of the bigger issues that have been bothering me. I suppose the sessions will become more helpful once things are discussed in more detail, so I'm not too discouraged! I do feel like it will help, even if not immediately.

Anyway, the main suggestion I was given was to try and mask feelings of inadequacy with positive statements about myself as soon as I notice that I'm being overly self-critical. I'll try it, but convincing myself that I'm good enough as I am will be difficult if I don't believe it... I do want to change aspects of who I am. The desire for change is a healthy part of human nature, just as much as the desire for things to stay the same. I probably should have mentioned some of that while talking with her, but there's no harm in trying her idea until next time.

• Advertisement

I'd also like to help with the fund-raising, Novella! :)

So, I had the first session with my counsellor yesterday. Just thought I should write out my experiences with it as a follow up on that last post... She was very nice and reassuring to talk to, but I'm not too sure if it was particularly useful. We discussed something that happened 6 years ago and certain anxieties I experience in social situations, but we didn't begin discussing any of the bigger issues that have been bothering me. I suppose the sessions will become more helpful once things are discussed in more detail, so I'm not too discouraged! I do feel like it will help, even if not immediately.

Anyway, the main suggestion I was given was to try and mask feelings of inadequacy with positive statements about myself as soon as I notice that I'm being overly self-critical. I'll try it, but convincing myself that I'm good enough as I am will be difficult if I don't believe it... I do want to change aspects of who I am. The desire for change is a healthy part of human nature, just as much as the desire for things to stay the same. I probably should have mentioned some of that while talking with her, but there's no harm in trying her idea until next time.

Maybe she just didn't wanna overwhelm you by diving into the big things right away?

Anyway, going to your first counselling session is usually really nerve wracking, so well done, I hope you're so proud of yourself for taking that step. :) I also hope that some day you do believe that you're good enough. <3

Advertisement