Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chemistry experiments

Options
  • 16-01-2010 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

why are 1.preparation of a standard soloution of sodium carbonate
    2.Standardisation of a hydrochloric acid solution using a standard solution of sodium carbonate

not in the experiment table at the front of the exam papers?:confused: have they just never come up?but in other subjects topics that have never come up are still listed...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Well it is listed as a mandatory experiment in both my text book and lab book so I assume it is.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

The experiments in the front of the papers are the experiments that have come up before, Those two experiments haven't been seen on exam papers apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

No they have never come up... and they never will. The understanding that go's into them is also applied in the other, more detailed experiments. They cant justify giving away 50 marks for something which is much easier than other aspects of the course.

They come up a bit in pass I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Calum196 wrote: »
    No they have never come up... and they never will. The understanding that go's into them is also applied in the other, more detailed experiments. They cant justify giving away 50 marks for something which is much easier than other aspects of the course.

They come up a bit in pass I think.

I wouldn't say that. They can always combine two or more experiments in one question if they can't justify giving them their own one. They did it with chromatography and steam distillation in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

As far as I know I think those two experiments are for pass and not on the honours. Because in my book they are in there but it says they are for pass only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

dambarude wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that. They can always combine two or more experiments in one question if they can't justify giving them their own one. They did it with chromatography and steam distillation in 2008.

Theres nothing that can be ask in those experiments that cant be asked in one of the more complicated titrations... they are mainly just there as an introduction to titration technique.

Theres probably a 2% chance of them ever being directly asked. They are too easy. Happy days if they are asked, but for an honors paper they wont test the potential A1 student.

Advertisement