Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deploying A Java Desktop Application Problem

Options
  • 16-01-2010 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

I am nearly finished a java app that has a ms-access (2007) database behind it.
    I am deploying it and some issues that may hinder me (because I do not know how to solve these issues) have arisen. I would appreciate any help that might be out there.

I have deployed the jar file in a folder, along with the database file, on to another PC. It all works well. However, I have to manually register the database as a data source via the Control Panel in Windows. My issue is "Can this step be automatically done through some installation wizard or installation batch file or from code in my java app ? - to avoid users of my application having to do this step for themselves."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You're looking to set up a system ODBC DSN to an access DB?
    One way is to create the values in the registry.

HKLM\Software\ODBC\ODBC.ini is where they are recorded I think.
    You could look at a correct setup, export the key as a registry file, trim to the bits you want and add during installation, or reg.exe etc.

Note that 64bit Vista and Win 7 don't come supplied with the required driver. E.g even with Office installed, it won't allow an access DB to be added as a system DSN or file DSN. (So above key is from memory as I can't test on this machine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

Thanks for that info. I had a search around my registry and found the items. I have also found a website which gives help on writing a script to put the required entries in the registry, as part of the installation process for my s/w.

Thanks again

Advertisement