Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit vaccinations

Options
  • 16-01-2010 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Got two rabbits today.They are the cutest little things! Was just wondering if anyone can tell me how much it will cost at their first time to the vets?? i presume they will do full checkup and then there is 2/3 vaccines?? If anyone uses active vet care in sandyford it would be very helpful if they know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Rabbits need a vaccination against VHD and one against Myxomatosis, these must not be done at the same time it would be too much on the rabbits system. You need to leave 2 weeks apart from each vaccination.

Some vets don't deal with many rabbits so might have to order the vaccines in.

Hard to know how much it will cost as vets prices vary hugely, each vaccination could be anything from 12 to 25 euro incl. check up but it's been a few years since I've had buns so prices might have changed. Better off just popping in to the vets you plan to use and find out.

Not familiar with that vet but just ask if they deal with a lot of rabbits and have a vet that has experience with them.

A health check should be done before any vaccination so ensure the vet does this.

There's also spaying and neutering costs when they hit 5-6 months of age, unless you are 100% sure of the sex of the rabbits have both spayed/neutered.
    Either way though it's best that both rabbits are spayed/neutered females have a very high chance of contracting reproductive cancers and unneutered buns can also spray and become grumpy plus if one is male and one female it will obviously cut out the issue of breeding.

There's some info on my site (below) on neutering/spaying buns.

They initial set up can be expensive but day to day care is cheap enough. Not sure if allianz are doing rabbit insurance, although it doesn't cover vaccinations or neutering rabbits can come down with all sorts of health problems like teeth issues which can be very expensive if it's an ongoing thing so well worth getting it. I think they still are but perhaps someone else can say.

Any piccies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

Thanks so much for the info!! I know all about the horses and dogs haha but they are my first bunnies!! I will get some pics up tomoro. They have a lovely new hutch outside which i have filled with pet shavings and some hay and they look very cosy. I have covered the hutch with a waterproof sheet to keep the wind and rain out. Going to try sort out a big pen for the garden in the next few days so they can run around. What size would it need to be do you think? My cousin is a vet student so she is coming up to look at them tomoro and sex them for me as I dont know which they are yet. They are sooo cute. One of them is white with black spots..and has the funniest black hitler beard haha! I will call the vets on monday so and find out about the vaccines!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Just ring up and enquire, people do it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Congrats on your rabbits. My three are black and white too, wait till they are fully grown they will by even nicer, all shiny. I can't think of the price of the vacs either, but I signed on to say that when it comes to nutering or specific bunny problems the Vet Hospital in Bray is really good.
    Their run should be as big as you can manage, with a little hideaway (I got mine a small dog box with a flat top, so they can sit inside or on the roof) and fully enclosed on top to keep cats etc. out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

With their bedding make sure their sleeping area is bone dry in the evenings, the weathers warmed up a bit but if the temps drop like they did last week they would have to be brought in.

Handy that your friend can sex them but even fully qualified vets who have experience with buns get it wrong all the time so when they hit about 5 months a second opinion is a good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement