Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on a new ISP

• 16-01-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. Was thinking of changing ISP as esat are a pile of ****.

My internet connection (wired) is ment to be 3MB but runs at completely random speeds. Ive been onto esat a load of times and they just keep getting me to do the same diagnostics over and over again which allways end up with the same results (bad). So at this point it will be easier to just move company.

Im in Munster and was wondering what would be the best non wireless provider? Id be looking somewhere between 3 to maybe 10 mega bits depending on price.
    The current package i have covers national calls and unlimited bandwidth, i presume other companys can offer similar?

Cheers in advance if anyone knows :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You will have to give better location details than Munster, although at least your in the best province!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

not bloody eircom anyway:mad: living in tralee and its the biggest pile of crap dsl service in the world right now im getting .3 of a meg on a 3 meg connection go figure:confused:

and now 1 meg up and down she goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Arcto wrote: »
    Hey guys. Was thinking of changing ISP as esat are a pile of ****.

My internet connection (wired) is meant to be 3MB but runs at completely random speeds. Ive been onto esat a load of times and they just keep getting me to do the same diagnostics over and over again which allways end up with the same results (bad). So at this point it will be easier to just move company.

Im in Munster and was wondering what would be the best non wireless provider? Id be looking somewhere between 3 to maybe 10 mega bits depending on price.
    The current package i have covers national calls and unlimited bandwidth, i presume other companys can offer similar?

Cheers in advance if anyone knows :D

Your line may not support 3mb or more in a stable fashion. My own crap dsl line is in Dublin 8 but at best can support 2mb speed (supposed to be a 4mb conenction). I tried to run it at higher speeds in the past and kept having the connection drop very frequently. The same has happened to a friend of mine nearby, higher speeds ruin the connection due to the combination of poor copper and distance from the exchange.

Regarding unlimited bandwidth, none of the isps will actually provide that to you. They will all claim to be "unlimited" but there will be a fair usage policy (fup) applied to you which means that it is not unlimited. To my knowledge, UPC will give you 250Gb per month, Smart 170Gb per month (I expect this to drop though as digiweb run them now). UTV do provide an "unlimited" service with a fup which costs an extra €7 per month but may be better than the two listed above. Someone with more knowledge of what the terms are may be able to help with that.

In terms of providers its hard to know. If you can get UPC its probably the best value in wired providers as far as I know and you probably won't have the same issues you are having with your dsl connection which sounds like it may be a poor connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

My internet connection (wired) is ment to be 3MB but runs at completely random speeds. Ive been onto esat a load of times and they just keep getting me to do the same diagnostics over and over again which allways end up with the same results (bad). So at this point it will be easier to just move company.
    Not necessarily. Unless your in a cable TV area, any other service provider will, as a minimum, be using the same eircom line to your local exchange. So, it is very likely that you will get the very same problem.
    Why not write to their customer complaints department, include a copy of some recent test results, and ask them to follow it up? Ultimately you can complain to COMREG, but they won't consider a complaint that hasn't been fully followed up with the Service Provider, first.

This site might help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Thanks for the responds guys.
    Looking into it now.
    Ill post up if i change ISP :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement