Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronnie Whelan is a clown.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

And where does this cause he is a "football legend" you have to respect his opinion come from? Just cause he could play it well dosn't mean he knows everything about the game. Otherwise every player would just go on and be a manager. Maradonna would be an amazing manager if that was the case, but he isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

doc_17 wrote: »
    A bit of loyalty from Ronnie wouldn't go amiss. Let's not forget that Liverpool stuck by Ronnie for a year or two more than they should have. His final few years were injury ravaged so pool could have let him go but treated him well instead

Loyalty should'nt come into it. He has to tell it like it is but does'nt. His agenda againest Benitez in particular is cringeworthy. The sad thing is some people actually pay their licence fee to listen to this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Ronnie Whelan was calling for Rafa's head 5 years ago after the FA Cup defeat to Bristol City or someone.
    Looks like he's looking to do with Liverpool what Dunphy does with Ireland.
    Make a name for himself by criticising managers regardless.
    Muppet! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

You will rarely see him on when Pool win, they only wheel him out to give Rafa stick. He's made his point, which in fairness lots of people agree with, but it's time to let go now ronnie. get behind the club you love. Plus he was a failed manager himself!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

doc_17 wrote: »
    You will rarely see him on when Pool win, they only wheel him out to give Rafa stick. He's made his point, which in fairness lots of people agree with, but it's time to let go now ronnie. get behind the club you love. Plus he was a failed manager himself!!!
    The club he claims he loves. He's a childhood Manchester United supporter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great player... crap manager...useless Pundit... Whelan in a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I heard Dunphy on the radio the other week, saying that Giles has the best "footballing brain in the world". :eek:

I'd probably agree that Ronnie is winging it a bit with the punditry but I can't agree with the shock you are expressing at Dunphy's statement there.

John Giles has got an outstanding football brain, this is recognised throughout football and all the pundits who work with him have described it in multiple sources. He was one of the best footballers in England at his peak, possibly the best midfielder Ireland ever produced and was a very good manager too.

Ok, he is getting on a bit now and loses his train of thought at times, but overall if his colleagues say his football brain is immense then I think his career and history demand that we at least contemplate the idea that he might know a thing or two about football!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

pipeliner wrote: »
    Wow. Id be careful what u say he could be any one of us on boards

Someone mentioned in the Liverpool thread yesterday that they reckoned Boggles might be Whelan and while it gave me a brief laugh, the quote above
    reminded me of it. A supposed Manchester United fan seemingly obsessed with Liverpool doing bad and criticising all aspects of Liverpool while sometimes getting even the most basic facts demonstrably wrong - Boggles or Whelan?????:confused:

I know I've never seen them in the same place at the same time:eek:

Perhaps in order that this slanserous accusation to their reputation doesn't stand Boggles Whelan Boggles one of them could come out and deny being the other one.:pac:

I know I'd sleep just that bit easier.;)

Anyway the fact that Whelan seems to positvely beam with joy anytime he gets to criticise Rafa and Liverpool is one of the most unseemly things about his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I thought his assessment of Liverpool's performance against Stoke was pretty accurate, and in saying Rafa needs to go he's entitled to that opinion, and he's hardly alone in thinking it. I can't see what's this 'agenda' he's supposed to have.

He criticised Liverpool's play but then backed that up with 7 or 8 examples of Liverpool players hoofing the ball aimlessly up the pitch and the overall lack of quality. I've never been a big fan of Whelan as a pundit but he's not as bad as people here are making out. Some people like to just slag off every tv pundit.

For me the worst pundits on RTE are Kenny Cunningham (because he's just so bloody boring!) and Giles because he's completely out of touch with the game and doesn't even bother to familiarise himself with players and teams.

Just because he comes across as boring doesnt make Cunningham one of the worst pundits , if u actually pay attention long enough to listen to him you will see he is probably one of RTEs best pundits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Ronnie if you're watching, thanks for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Hoki wrote: »
    Just because he comes across as boring doesnt make Cunningham one of the worst pundits , if u actually pay attention long enough to listen to him you will see he is probably one of RTEs best pundits.

I didn't say anything about his actual analysis, on that score he's ok. Just that he is terribly boring and monotone to listen to. May have decent knowledge but lacks the personality for the job imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

isn't ronnie an united fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

DrumSteve wrote: »
    isn't ronnie an united fan?
    No he's not. But he does not have much time for Rafa thats for sure. Ronnie is a regular contributor on LFC TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Someone mentioned in the Liverpool thread yesterday that they reckoned Boggles might be Whelan and while it gave me a brief laugh, the quote above
    reminded me of it. A supposed Manchester United fan seemingly obsessed with Liverpool doing bad and criticising all aspects of Liverpool while sometimes getting even the most basic facts demonstrably wrong - Boggles or Whelan?????:confused:

I know I've never seen them in the same place at the same time:eek:

Perhaps in order that this slanserous accusation to their reputation doesn't stand Boggles Whelan Boggles one of them could come out and deny being the other one.:pac:

I know I'd sleep just that bit easier.;)

Anyway the fact that Whelan seems to positvely beam with joy anytime he gets to criticise Rafa and Liverpool is one of the most unseemly things about his behaviour.

No I'm not Ronnie Whelan.

Tis hard to argue with a lot of what he is preaching lately though, best thing to do I suppose is start up a thread calling him a clown.

Well done lads. FFS. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Bandit12 wrote: »
    The sad thing is some people actually pay their licence fee to listen to this guy.

The License fee is compulsory...

What do you mean some people? You saying you dont pay yours?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Ronnie is a Clown but he is right about Rafa but Liverpool fans don't see the funny side which is unusual because Scousers are funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

monkey9 wrote: »
    I don't respect anything the idiot has to say. If i want to hear the opinions of Liverpool legends, i'd listen to Dalglish, Rush or Aldridge

Until they turn on Rafa I assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'd hold what Whelan says with a lot more regard if he didn't also spout off about Rafa while things were going quite well, or he didn't call for his head while this was just a blip months ago.

i'd be more inclined to listen to people like Aldridge who seem to really care about the club, who are visibly frustrated with what they are seeing, and trying to work out what would be best for the club. He realises sacking Rafa might not be the best plan, while acknowledging he needs to get better, and that we may have no choice but to let Rafa go.

rather than whelan who just mouths off at every given opportunity calling for a sacking, without giving a second thought to the bigger picture.

reasoned argument beats ranting and kneejerk every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This thread may have been OTT 6 or so monthes ago but not now.

Its the oul "footballers in inarticulate shocker" bit again IMO. Majority of the people on this board probably got better educations, most probably got University educations. Therefore we find it hard to watch somebody on TV criticising our club without being able to quite get his reasoning, argument or point across in an articulate manner.

Thats the way I feel anyway, I think he is worse than the worst of Soccer Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

IMO He's right to have a go at Rafa. Where's your Danny Murphy is a clown thread or anyone else who's had a go! Liverpool Fans get wound up to easily for my liking. Let the man progress as a pundit. I'm sure you could do a better job?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Clowns are not always wrong.

A stopped clock is right twice a day.

Walsh wrote: »
    IMO He's right to have a go at Rafa. Where's your Danny Murphy is a clown thread or anyone else who's had a go! Liverpool Fans get wound up to easily for my liking. Let the man progress as a pundit. I'm sure you could do a better job?

Murphy should keep his mouth shut too. I never wanted him to leave but it is not on for a fellow professional in the sameleague and on a different team to tell the media he thinks such and such should be sacked. What if Carra tells the media he reckons Hodgson should leave for the Turkey job or something?

Anyway, Murphy's comments are probably harder to take seriously for some given his personal relationship with Rafa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

noodler wrote: »
    Murphy should keep his mouth shut too. I never wanted him to leave but it is not on for a fellow professional in the sameleague and on a different team to tell the media he thinks such and such should be sacked. What if Carra tells the media he reckons Hodgson should leave for the Turkey job or something?

Anyway, Murphy's comments are probably harder to take seriously for some given his personal relationship with Rafa

I know Murphy doesn't like Rafa for obvious reasons but seriously do you as a Liverpool fan feel Benitez is doing a good job? Because at the moment In Rafa I Trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thats the way I feel anyway, I think he is worse than the worst of Soccer Saturday.

Good point, but no-one is worse that Paul Merson. I honestly don't know how he remembers to breath sometimes.

I know Murphy doesn't like Rafa for obvious reasons but seriously do you as a Liverpool fan feel Benitez is doing a good job?

Just because the team isn't doing well doesn't mean every single idiot with access to a medium is going to be given a free ride to criticise the man. If you go on TV like Whelan does and sound about as petty as Roy Keane did after the Henry handball AND you can barely string a sentence together without misusing words in the past/present/future tense then you deserve to be criticised.
    Because at the moment In Rafa I Trust.

Did you forget to use that in a sentence? Is it supposed to make sense by itself?

Ronnie is that you?

This thread may have been OTT 6 or so monthes ago but not now.

Its the oul "footballers in inarticulate shocker" bit again IMO. Majority of the people on this board probably got better educations, most probably got University educations. Therefore we find it hard to watch somebody on TV criticising our club without being able to quite get his reasoning, argument or point across in an articulate manner.

Jesus Christ talk about stating the obvious and not realising you have.

Of course people on here will have better educations than him, he was a child prodigy and while people were off to do Arts and French at his age, Ronnie was off to be a professional footballer.

You can have one or the other you can't have both FFS.

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus Christ talk about stating the obvious and not realising you have.

Of course people on here will have better educations than him, he was a child prodigy and while people were off to Arts and French at his age, Ronnie was off to be a professional footballer.

You can have one or the other you can't have both FFS.

My god, Boggles what are you talking about?

How have I not realised what I just typed?

I mean that is precisely why I said the "oul argument", the issue of footballers being ill-educated due to youthful football commitments is a fairly old one - I am afraid you are wildly mistalken if you think I was just hypothesizing.

The use of the word 'probably' here and there is just to be sensitive of the fact that there may be some older users here who perhaps didn't do their inter-cert or perhaps did not want or could not afford college.

My god, Boggles what are you talking about?

How have I not realised what I just typed?

I mean that is precisely why I said the "oul argument", the issue of footballers being ill-educated due to youthful football commitments is a fairly old one - I am afraid you are wildly mistalken if you think I was just hypothesizing.

The use of the word 'probably' here and there is just to be sensitive of the fact the there some older users here who maybe didn't do their inter-cert or perhaps did not want or could not afford college.

Who gives a fúck if it is an "old one" is it not a valid one?

Who gives a fúck if it is an "old one" is it not a valid one?

Oh oh, keep digging. You have realised your error, eh?

Oh oh, keep digging. You have realised your error, eh?

WTF are you talking about.

I didn't see Ronnie at the weekend, what has said that has the scouse fanboys so riled anyways?

• Advertisement

WTF are you talking about.

I didn't see Ronnie at the weekend, what has said that has the scouse fanboys so riled anyways?

And the not-so-subtle change of subject matter - you really are a master Boggles!

And the not-so-subtle change of subject matter - you really are a master Boggles!

The subject is Ronnie Whelan. Point out the subject change? Good boy!

Again what has he said that has riled the fanboys?

The subject is Ronnie Whelan. Point out the subject change? Good boy!

Again what has he said that has riled the fanboys?

I'll tell you if you apologise for misinterpreting (and thats being kind!) my post.

I'll tell you if you apologise for misinterpreting (and thats being kind!) my post.

I didn't misinterpret anything young man.

I didn't misinterpret anything young man.

I'll explain it for you.

You assumed I was putting forth the argument of footballers being uneducated due to missing alot of school at a young age as some sort of theory.

Hence you saying "OMGZ Talk about being correct and not even realising it" or some such weird nonsense.

However, I was fully aware of the point I was making - I was actually the one making it. It is an old argument, one which has been brought up a million times in the past.

Silly Boggles.

Anyway, What Ronnie was saying at the weekend wasn't exactly breaking new ground. He was simply attacking Rafa using silly generalisations about signings (N'Gog is not useless) as per usual. All the while abusing the English language as he went and trying to hide the fact he has a personal grudge against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

23m7tjd.jpg

I'll explain it for you.

You assumed I was putting forth the argument of footballers being uneducated due to missing alot of school at a young age as some sort of theory.

Hence you saying "OMGZ Talk about being correct and not even realising it" or some such weird nonsense.

However, I was fully aware of the point I was making - I was actually the one making it. It is an old argument, one which has been brought up a million times in the past.

Silly Boggles.

I assumed that from the only thing I could assume it from, your post. Silly Noodler.
    Anyway, What Ronnie was saying at the weekend wasn't exactly breaking new ground. He was simply attacking Rafa using silly generalisations about signings (N'Gog is not useless) as per usual. All the while abusing the English language as he went and trying to hide the fact he has a personal grudge against him.

He actually called N'Gog useless?

I assumed that from the only thing I could assume it from, your post. Silly Noodler.

He actually called N'Gog useless?

Its something alot of pundits do when they are being critical of Rafa. They start listing signings (same way Dunphy used to go "Ronaldo - useless, Gerrard - waster" etc) but unfortunately they haven't thought it through so they start listing players that are actually rather good if you had been watching the team.

For example he will start with:

Dossena - waste of money (fair enough)

Lucas - anonymous (harsh but I guess some people have said it)

N'Gog - useless (ah come on now Ronnie).

Its just one of those things you do when you are on a rant, the impact of his argument would be weakened if he has to go from 'useless' to something more moderate like 'still very young' or 'has a bit to prove'.

Anyway, I shall not converse with you any further until you admit your error or get "uppity" over at the Liverpool thread.

Good day top you sir:pac:

Its something alot of pundits do when they are being critical of Rafa. They start listing signings (same way Dunphy used to go "Ronaldo - useless, Gerrard - waster" etc) but unfortunately they haven't thought it through so they start listing players that are actually rather good if you had been watching the team.

For example he will start with:

Dossena - waste of money (fair enough)

Lucas - anonymous (harsh but I guess some people have said it)

N'Gog - useless (ah come on now Ronnie).

Its just one of those things you do when you are on a rant, the impact of his argument would be weakened if he has to go from 'useless' to something more moderate like 'still very young' or 'has a bit to prove'.

Anyway, I shall not converse with you any further until you admit your error or get "uppity" over at the Liverpool thread.

Good day top you sir:pac:

Bingo. :D

Calling N'Gog useless is a bit harsh. Didn't see the game, maybe he was useless.

What is useless is the manager putting the pressure on the lad of being the backup striker to Torres.

• Advertisement

Well...if thats what you want....then....I will keep talking to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I was driving home and heard Ronnie Whelan harping on about how Rafa had to go and Liverpool would be better off rudderless for the rest of the season and spouting all other sorts of nonsense.

Then I come home and watching the round up from the premiership and ignoring his normal biased Liverpool comments starts saying how United were struggling today and "If I was Ferguson I'd splash out and get a (um, stares at the ceiling) larger than life character to come into the club"

What? What is this clown being paid for. I've heard better punditry from the drunk at any local bar in Athens. His managerial record is a joke. One crap english team and then off to Greece to get totalled 4-0 in a quarter final in Europe and that's it.

No analysis. No insight. Nothing. At least Dunphy is entertaining, Whelan is a smug little tool who is driving me insane.
    couldnt agree more have lost all respect for the man.
    mind you i remember calling martin o neil a "clown" in a post one day and iago in his wisdom gave me a seven day ban.
    what a fickle world we live in:confused:

Is it what Whelan is saying or the way he is saying it that annoys posters. I think he has it in for Rafa but you could argue that there some truth to what he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Great article in the Herald saturday few weeks ago tonight from Ronnie - "Rafa Has To Go".

Update this post when necessary

Great article in the Herald Sunday World saturday few weeks ago yesterday from Ronnie Souness - "Rafa Has To Go".

Update this post when necessary
    there you go ;)

Advertisement