Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Octavia

• 16-01-2010 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

I see skoda are offering whats seems a very good scrappage scheme, 4700 off a new 1.6 diesel octavia bringing the price to about 17k . Just wondered what people think ,is it a good deal, are they a good car etc .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

is the octavia a good car? interestin question for boards ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Only car worse than the Octavia is the Superb. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

k mac wrote: »
    I see skoda are offering whats seems a very good scrappage scheme, 4700 off a new 1.6 diesel octavia bringing the price to about 17k . Just wondered what people think ,is it a good deal, are they a good car etc .

They are great cars... don't know the model specs - but get AirCon... you'll be punished when you trade it in otherwise... (IMHO)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Superb/GREENLIN/201001196487190/advert?channel=CARS

I am stunned that a new Superb could be got for near 19k...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd go the extra few quid for the Superb. €5700 off is v.good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Superb/GREENLIN/201001196487190/advert?channel=CARS

I am stunned that a new Superb could be got for near 19k...

Blimey... I think you just sold one to me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I dont think i could ever buy a skoda based on its looks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

Hi,
    Can you point me in the direction of where you saw this pricing? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kebrosnan

Mc Love wrote: »
    I dont think i could ever buy a skoda based on its looks!

While I agree with the comment above that they are not the best looking cars, I bought a 02 Octavia vRS 6 years ago purely based on the engine and it hasn't given a days trouble since. A very good indication of their reliability is where they come in the JD Power survey every year (http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/jd-power-owner-satisfaction-2009/small-family-cars-1-10/240819). For the year and money, there is very little out there to match them. Only thing I would be worried about is just having a 1.6 diesel which I think could be very underpowered given the size and weigth of the car especially if the car was full. Has anyone driven one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

An Octavia is lighter than a Golf (AFAIK), and plenty people are happy enough with 1.5 diesels in Lagunas, 1.6 diesels in S40's and Focus's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Bif wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can you point me in the direction of where you saw this pricing? Thanks.

Yes. Me Too. The max I've seen discounted (including scrappage) is 3,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kebrosnan wrote: »
    While I agree with the comment above that they are not the best looking cars, I bought a 02 Octavia vRS 6 years ago purely based on the engine and it hasn't given a days trouble since. A very good indication of their reliability is where they come in the JD Power survey every year (http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/jd-power-owner-satisfaction-2009/small-family-cars-1-10/240819). For the year and money, there is very little out there to match them. Only thing I would be worried about is just having a 1.6 diesel which I think could be very underpowered given the size and weigth of the car especially if the car was full. Has anyone driven one?

The 1.6 TDi has the same bhp as the ancient 1.9TDi it replaced. Granted the 1.6 has to work a bit harder due to having less torque but people have to move on eventually. If briskness is a priority then the 2.0 TDi makes more sense than the 1.6/1.9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I've seen worse
    Skoda-Octavia-vRS-01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The latest model octavia really is hideous. Its the worst update Ive seen ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think we need to get over the whole depriciation thing, as I've seen people with cars that would normally hold their value being riddled with depriciation.

I think the Skoda Superb is a fantastic car for the money, although the badge doesn't bother me at all. A nicely spec'd Superb in a nice colour will stand out from the crowd.

Although at this point in time, if I had 20k to spend on a car, there are alot more cars I'd be thinking about than going for a 10 reg.

Edit: There was an add just on for the Octavia, "What would you change about you Octavia? But I love my Octavia! Sure, you love your wife but surely there is something you would change... He said he loves his Octavia!

The good just got a little bit better"

Ya... Am... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭k mac

Seen the price in a advertisement in yesterdays irish mirror ,its from autostation in dublin . The price in the paper was 15700 with a 4700 scrappage. Looked them up in carzone and the price was 16700 plus metallic paint extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

kebrosnan wrote: »
    I would be worried about is just having a 1.6 diesel which I think could be very underpowered given the size and weigth of the car especially if the car was full. Has anyone driven one?

I wouldnt count the 1.6 tdi out. They have 100ish bhp yeah? Sure, my old Golf estate has 90 and thats a generation behind the 1.6 (PD is it?) and it pulls quite well. The PD's are generally better in performance anyway. Id say the torque would be interesting. I think its finally VAG getting a bit smarter with their engines, instead of just having one engine size tuned to give really low or really high HP.

EDIT: Its actually a common rail TDI. It could be a surprisingly decent engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

bbk wrote: »
    I wouldnt count the 1.6 tdi out. They have 100ish bhp yeah? Sure, my old Golf estate has 90 and thats a generation behind the 1.6 (PD is it?) and it pulls quite well. The PD's are generally better in performance anyway. Id say the torque would be interesting. I think its finally VAG getting a bit smarter with their engines, instead of just having one engine size tuned to give really low or really high HP.

105bhp to be exact. I drove one for the first time on Friday, and I was surprised at how nippy it was. I expected it to be a bit sluggish when compared to the older 1.9TDi, but I didnt notice too much of a difference. I only drove it in traffic, so I couldnt open it up properly, but its going to Swords tommorow, so i'll get a better look then. First impressions are good though.

I also didnt realise that the Elegance spec gets a touch screen radio with an SD card slot either. Alot of car for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 1.6 TDi has the same bhp as the ancient 1.9TDi it replaced. Granted the 1.6 has to work a bit harder due to having less torque but people have to move on eventually. If briskness is a priority then the 2.0 TDi makes more sense than the 1.6/1.9.

Ah, sure give it a re-map and slap a couple of red I's on the back and it'll be no bother to it.

I've emailed autostation to see if they'll quote me.

If I can manage a 4,700 discount on scrappage of my old car for a new elegance model I'll definitely take the plunge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

mickdw wrote: »
    The latest model octavia really is hideous. Its the worst update Ive seen ever.

I thought the new Fabia was worse to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

First time I drove the 1.6Tdi it was horrific, but it did only have 8km on and Diesel's tend to get better with afew miles on them.

Eventually delivered it from South Dublin to Swords and it was adequate on the motorway. The engine is seriously lacking in low down torque, practically nothing going on until the turbo come in around 1,750rpm. The 90ps Focus 1.6TDCi I picked up when I dropped off the Skoda was much more flexible.

That said, if you are coming from something with less power then the Skoda may fit your bill and is great value for money. Ambiente spec at least to get the A/C (cheaper than classic with A/C specced). Cheapest Alloy wheel option is €540 so it might be better to spend the extra €1,375 to get the Elegance spec to give you Climate Control, Cruise Control, Alloys and the touch screen radio (possibly with built in Bluetooth).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Maybe ROR can answer this....

If Skoda are now doing a 4700 scrappage discount, this obviously works out at 1500 govt contribution + 3200 from the distributor. Despite the "scrappage" disclaimer on Autostation's ad, would the 3200 discount be available to normal buyer too if they push? I remember talking to a Renault guy some time ago (well before budget) and they were knocking the "scrappage" off all cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Maybe ROR can answer this....

If Skoda are now doing a 4700 scrappage discount, this obviously works out at 1500 govt contribution + 3200 from the distributor. Despite the "scrappage" disclaimer on Autostation's ad, would the 3200 discount be available to normal buyer too if they push? I remember talking to a Renault guy some time ago (well before budget) and they were knocking the "scrappage" off all cars.

Not according to my pricing, but the 1.6Tdi I bought last year did come in a lot cheaper than expected.

Think Skoda were giving additional discount on the Octavia's so that might still be available, in which case the €3,200 wouldn't be out of reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Looking at this thread the last couple of days so went to look at the 1.6 diesel this morning and got a less than generous €1.5k discount on the base model and $1.8k on the Ambiente for cash. Maybe that's supply and demand.

I also looked at the Skoda Finance with the balloon payment as that might suit me just at the moment but no figures were available. Anybody got any idea how this works figures wise? Has anyone been quoted and might like to share...

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭albob

Are people leaning toward the elegance over the Ambient spec? I am turned off the touch screen radio due to anything touch screen I have ever owned going to crap after a couple of years. Parking sensors would be nice and of course the alloys, but I can't see anything else that would attarct me. (Dual zone air con would be wasted on me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Elegance also gives you cruise control although you vould add it as as extra. Not sure on radio/phone buttons on the MFSW between the two versions.

Had a test drive in 1 today. Was also worried it might be a bit sluggish with 1.6 but was actually fairly nippy. Salesman said the ambient used to sell better but alot going for the elegance now, am not sure for 1500 extra the alloys and touchscreen radio would be nice but i hate these mahogany dash think they are hideous.

The mahogony dash is an (albeit free) option. You can still opt for the black interior/onyx dash.

Did the dealer give you any discount kmac?

• Advertisement

Just to let you know the price of the one I am getting (Ambient spec)
    Window Price 21800
    Scrappage price 17500
    Getting ESP and curtain airbags as extras though socoming in around 18500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 santiago123

I've been offered the ambiente for 18250 and elegance for 19500 with scrappable. Do you think I would be able to do better?

I was offered ambient for 18k with scrappage ,hoping to get him down closer to 17500 . 1500 more for elegance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 santiago123

The mahogony dash is an (albeit free) option. You can still opt for the black interior/onyx dash.

Did the dealer give you any discount kmac?

Didn't realise you could opt out of the mahogony for the elegance as I also do not like the wood.

I assume you saw this link in previous post (Octavia for 16,795) http://www.phoenixmotors.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201002196564064

Deposit paid on mine so no going back but would be worth a shout is its correct and there is no catch.
    Every Skoda garage I contacted (3) all quoted me 17,500 with scrappage. Would have liked to go up to elegance but put the extra money towards safety instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

So does anyone know does offer only apply to the cars that come under the A - B emissions rating or could I get discount on the Octavia TDI VRS (Band C, I think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

A&B only for scrappage.

Didn't realise you could opt out of the mahogony for the elegance as I also do not like the wood.
    You can get the silver trim at no cost but have been told it would be a factory fit so it would take 8 weeks to get your car

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You can get the silver trim at no cost but have been told it would be a factory fit so it would take 8 weeks to get your car
    i would wait the 8 weeks imo, but i suppose its personal opinion on which you rather.
    best of luck with the new cars people!

albob wrote: »
    Window Price 21800
    Scrappage price 17500

Where did you get this discount?

I see people getting terrible quotes for scrappage.

I'm looking for a deal on an elegance model, with scrappage scheme. Some people are getting 4,000+ discounts..and I'd like to join this group ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Irlandski

albob wrote: »
    Window Price 21800
    Scrappage price 17500

The Skoda Ireland list price is €20,940 for the Ambiente?

I have a scrappage price for the Elegance to include the fitting of a tow bar (supposedly €500 worth) at €19,250. The Skoda Ireland list price is €22,315.

• Advertisement

Where did you get this discount?

I see people getting terrible quotes for scrappage.

I'm looking for a deal on an elegance model, with scrappage scheme. Some people are getting 4,000+ discounts..and I'd like to join this group ;).

Got mine in a Skoda garage in Cork. However a friend was offered the Ambient spec on scrappage for 17K in Dublin (Phoenix guys I believe). Annoying as I would have used that to hammer my crowd down even more if I knew about it before paying a deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Hi guys, what cars are you scrapping or is anyone being offered the scrappage price for a straight sale ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Irlandski

Irlandski wrote: »
    I have a scrappage price for the Elegance to include the fitting of a tow bar (supposedly €500 worth) at €19,250. The Skoda Ireland list price is €22,315.

Just beat my own scrappage quote for the Elegance, €19,000 incl tow bar. But I have committed to the above and so I'll go with it. Maybe I can beat a free first service out of them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Jip wrote: »
    Hi guys, what cars are you scrapping or is anyone being offered the scrappage price for a straight sale ?

Scrappage price includes €1,500 from the gov't. You won't get the same price on a straight sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eastmeath

I like the whole Octavia 1.6d package too, but I'm not scrapping - my X-Trail is only 8 years old. Anyone know whether I'll still get an ok trade-in value? The discounts above look to be good on top of the scrappage amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NedzerG

Hi Irlandski,
    I'd like to find out where you got the Elegance quote for €19k with towbar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NedzerG

Hi Irlandski, I'd like to know where you got that quote. Best I can get is 20440 so far for same.

Advertisement