Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow to Greystones

Options
  • 16-01-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭

Someone mentioned to me the other day about walking from Wicklow town up the coast to Greystones, roughly following the railway.

Had a look on the maps and can't see a marked trail, does anyone know if there is a track or is it possible to walk along the coast / tracks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Actually, ignore my original post - I completely misread your question - I thought you said 'Bray to Greystones'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Theres a path of sorts the whole way. Theres parts where you are nearly better walking on the train tracks as the sand on the path is loose and hard going, but most of it is on hardened sandy / grassy paths. To Kilcoole from Greystones its pretty much all concrete path.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Theres a path of sorts the whole way. Theres parts where you are nearly better walking on the train tracks as the sand on the path is loose and hard going, but most of it is on hardened sandy / grassy paths. To Kilcoole from Greystones its pretty much all concrete path.

Cool thanks, how do you get to the path from Wicklow train station, is it straight forward?

I think it might do this the weekend after next

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Exit the train station in Wicklow and less than 100 yards ahead of you on your left there should be an access point into a single track which carries you across the train bridge, on a parallel pedestrian bit. Keep going straight on and you'll emerge at a junction with a road. The sea is directly ahead of you and the sandy grassy path goes from there north up the coast. This area is known locally as the Murrough. Lots of birdlife between here and Kilcoole in particular which brings the birdwatchers out in droves at certain points during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I walked this route about two years ago - it's very easy (flat) but long. Great if you are a bird watcher I think. I did it during the summer but it might be more interesting in the winter months. Much of the walking is to the east of the railway. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement