Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Workflow for RAW images

• 16-01-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what are people's workflow for processing RAW images. After processing do you convert to JPEG and why?

I am using aperture on the mac and shooting Nikon RAW and I would like to understand what people do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Using Light Room, most of the processing is still in RAW. Manipulation is done in Photoshop, but goes back to Light Room. Export to JPG only for purpose. Keeping all data as open as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

I shoot duel RAW & JPEG, stick the RAW on an external drive when finished messing with it and keep the JPEG for quick reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Really needs to be jpeg for uploading to web, so usually end up with a jpeg file

tiff (compressed usually) is also useful if using different types of software because is pretty compatible and lossless, but exif data can be lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

richieg wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what are people's workflow for processing RAW images. After processing do you convert to JPEG and why?

I am using aperture on the mac and shooting Nikon RAW and I would like to understand what people do.

1. Copy the RAW files to disk
    2. Use automator to rename each of them to something I like (e.g. D300_2010-01-10_DSC_8883.NEF so I can tell at a glance which camera it came from and when)
    3. Import into Aperture and do whatever floats yer boat - I can't comment on Aperture workflow coz I use Lightroom.
    4. Export to jpeg only when uploading to web or emailing or whatever. Be sure to export using sRGB and embed the colour management.
    5. There's no excuse to delete your NEFs because storage is so cheap nowadays. Hang onto them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Move Raw to Disc and process in Lightroom, leave RAW files there and export JPEGS for upload on flickr.,:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I shoot duel RAW & JPEG, stick the RAW on an external drive when finished messing with it and keep the JPEG for quick reference.

I find I run out of memory very quick if I do this.

I convert them to JPEG for printing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

IMHO, there really should be no difference in your workflow for RAW or jpg, you'll always want to keep a pristine out of camera file and save copies (edited versions) for whatever reason you require.

So in my case I convert the RAWS to DNG, they go on a second drive in my PC and I use Lightroom to export copies for printing or upload to the net. With some of the great lightroom export plugins available there is often no reason to save the jpeg to my local machine, it goes straight to flickr or my pixelpost blog or wherever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Is there a difference printing a raw version or a jpeg?

I very seldom convert to jpeg as if I email a picture aperture converts automatically.
    Interesting to hear what others do, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

richieg wrote: »
    Is there a difference printing a raw version or a jpeg?

yes, but probably not something you'd notice at small sizes, for large stuff i export to TIFF at 16 bit. RAW format isn't universal (Canon and Nikon formats are different for instance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Shoot in RAW, then import from D90 using image capture on my mac. They go to an external 1TB FW800. Import into lightroom, leaving the files where they are and generating 1:1 previews as it goes (can take a bit of time). After messing with them they stay in Lightroom and any files for clients or web are exported to a Clients folder on the 1TB for future reference if needed. I'll probably change this to just albums in Lightroom as it is a bit of a waste of space tbh. All backed up to 3 different drives. One permanently connected to the Mac, another that is in a drawer and only connected when needed, and a 3rd which is offsite and backed up to once a week or month, depending on how much is taken.

Used to change it quite frequently as I didn't have enough drives, didn't understand versions and copies etc, but this works for me now. Take from it what you wil. Open to feedback and peoples thoughts as well :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement