Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

post grad abroad

Options
  • 16-01-2010 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Just wondering does anyone have any information on doing post grads abroad either in scotland or america. Just trying to way up all my options.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

A couple of friends did:

Two went to America to one of the leading biomedical graduate schools. If you're planning on going to the States, you need to start doing preparation on it early:

Most american grad schools want detailed transcripts of your results.
    You'll need to sit the GRE test (or similar) for many disciplines.
    Most also want a personal statement - and they will use it!

The issue of funding is also important. If you're doing a research postgrad - you'll probably be funded as either a T/A (or Teaching Assistant), R/A (research assistant) or you'll be very lucky and receive a scholarship. You'll need to pay your fees as well as having enough to live on over there!

Finally, the visa requirements for going to the states can be very cumbersome and hard to understand. So make sure that if you do decide to go over there that you get everything in order on time.

I've also a couple of friends who went to the UK, which is essentially like doing it here. A good experience though nevertheless!

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

If your interested in doing it in Asia give me a pm. I just went through the whole process myself and I'm starting in March.

Good luck

Advertisement