Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The offical TNA thread - News, Spoilers and the rest...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Borash and Tenay.

Bob Ryder too, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I was thinking more about wrestlers but yeah. Abyss was on the first show aswell but didn't show up again for another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Oddly enough, the first episode of TNA is on Challenge this Saturday @ 9:15pm.
    They're doing 2 days of first episodes of the different shows they air and TNA is one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Anyone else think Kenny King regrets signing with TNA? He hasnt appeared in over 3 months and that was only one taping. Before that was June by my count. For his sake, I hope he only signed a two year deal and ROH will be willing to take him back in the summer. Any longer and he is a bit screwed. He's 33 this year so is nearing the end of his prime.

Such a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

From Dixie Carter President of TNA Wrestling on Twitter:

BREAKING: Thrilled to announce a major, new multi-year deal between TNA & @ChallengeTV to keep ALL our programming FREE in the UK & Ireland

More to follow...

A piece of good news but ultimately one that won't mean anything if they lose the Spike deal in September. Curious as to what happens if they end up without a network in the states for a bit. Keep making new shows for online viewing, or show old stuff for international markets?

Zema Ion vs. Ultimate Tiger from Xplosion:

A piece of good news but ultimately one that won't mean anything if they lose the Spike deal in September. Curious as to what happens if they end up without a network in the states for a bit. Keep making new shows for online viewing, or show old stuff for international markets?

Probably produce webcasts like when they were cancelled in 2005. At least TNA would be some what of a proven commodity were they to look for a new home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Just move to the UK I guess :confused:

Zema Ion vs. Ultimate Tiger from Xplosion:

Who is he btw?

GTR63 wrote: »
    Who is he btw?

This fellow. TNA signed him last month apparently. Based off that match vs. Zema he's good enough.

• Advertisement

GTR63 wrote: »
    Just move to the UK I guess :confused:

That novelty would wear off very quickly. Plus, how many of the roster would be willing to relocate? I suspect not many, meaning it costs a fortune to fly everyone in.

I was thinking the webshows too, but it's the build up for Bound for Glory when the deal expires. They need to be on TV if they want any hope of a good buyrate. Saying that, the last time they were on TV they just said fcuk it and gave the fans what they wanted. Stuff like Raven's title reign happened during the web only episodes.

I was thinking the webshows too, but it's the build up for Bound for Glory when the deal expires. They need to be on TV if they want any hope of a good buyrate. Saying that, the last time they were on TV they just said fcuk it and gave the fans what they wanted. Stuff like Raven's title reign happened during the web only episodes.

And a really great Super X Cup tournament. I'd be surprised if Spike didn't renew especially if WWE are trying to sell all their shows as a single package.

I marked at this:

They should really put D'Amore in charge.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Dixie Carter
    Out with the old... In with the new... I am personally looking at every potential new talent to create the #Genesis of the future of TNA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Dixie's tweeted the initials of the two new lads who'll debut at Genesis.

BeDo5Z3IYAAxitW.jpg

My favourite TNA site thing in a while:
    Dressed for Success

On last week's episode of Impact, I thought Dixie Carter looked stunning. She usually looks good but when the show began, my first reaction was that the TNA boss never looked better. It didn't have a lot to do with the wrestling show that was unfolding but by the end of the night, I realized that Dixie's leather skirt was not just a fashion statement... it was a declaration of war!

The image of Dixie Carter that we have seen over the years was that of the sweet Southern belle in flowery summer dresses, or the average hard-working mom in her jeans and blouses. There's nothing wrong with that, and truthfully, Dixie dressed like her character behaved, in a subtle manner that didn't command any huge impression.

With people like Vince Russo, Jim Cornette, Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff and Sting to act as the on-screen authorities, Dixie didn't need to make much of an on-screen impression over the years. A lot of people probably wish things had stayed like that. Last year, however, the TNA boss took on a much larger on-screen role and with it, a new persona.

A lot of people hated the heel Dixie Carter character and her feud with AJ Styles but I wasn't one of them. So much criticism has been leveled at Dixie, from slating her acting abilities to her promo skills to the typical "she knows nothing about wrestling, why is she on TV?" comments. I have heard and read these things from a lot of places and my argument was always that people weren't taking in the fullness of the character. It was quite clear that the Dixie character in the Fall and Winter of 2013 was an amped-up version of herself -- a rich, southern businesswoman.

With the condescending yet clueless attitude and liberal usage of the term "Darlin", Dixie was playing a parody of herself, or more aptly, a parody of how a lot of internet "smart" fans think she is. Yes, the character was annoying but she was meant to be annoying. I liked the character but there was a change coming and with it; a change of outfit.

When Dixie Carter strode to the ring on Impact last week, she looked confident. This was no wilting southern flower, fading in the repressive heat of having her authority challenged by the rebel AJ Styles. This was a woman who looked like she meant business and was done playing nice. Gone were the flowery dresses and regular gal jeans -- and in their place, the ultimate statement of attitude: black leather.

Ask anyone in the fashion industry or any good psychologist, and they will tell you that what a person wears says a lot about what type of statement they are trying to project. Custom made suits portray an image of power, just like coveralls represent the hard-working blue collar type. In Dixie's case, the black leather skirt and boots were a message of intent. It's no coincidence that leather is perhaps most closely associated with a Dominatrix, someone who commands respect from her clients and who has "control" over them. On some level, I feel like this was the exact message Dixie Carter was trying to send on Impact.

Dixie Carter was tired of being disrespected by her employees and her audience, and she knew that things had to change. Rather than be the same old Dixie, what we got was a new Dixie -- a tougher Dixie who, if she wasn't going to be shown any respect, she was going to take it herself. Throughout the duration of the show, Dixie systematically eliminated anyone and everyone who posed a threat to her authority. And by the end of the night, all of those people were at the bottom of the TNA heap or not with the company at all. Mission accomplished.

The new Dixie Carter sent the message loud and clear to her roster that she is the woman in charge, and heaven help anyone brave enough or foolish enough to cross her. Perhaps this new, more determined Dixie was forged in the reality of her position. Constantly questioned about her business decisions and the direction of the company, Dixie must be pretty sick of having her authority questioned by people on the outside. It's no secret that TNA has been going through a tough financial spot but with the departure of Jeff Jarrett, now more than ever, TNA is Dixie Carter's company and she would be best served by acting accordingly.

So, while we are seeing a new, ruthless Dixie Carter on-screen, it might also be a mirror image of the real-life Dixie who is determined to send the message that she is in charge of TNA and that it is her job to make sure the company stays afloat. If that's the case, not only will 2014 be a good year for the product, it will be a good year on the business side of things because to truly succeed in any business, you have to send the message that you're not someone to mess with.

It's a well-known phrase that whoever wears the pants is the one in charge. Well, in TNA, it's whoever wears the skirt.

http://www.tnasylum.com/2014/01/dressed-for-success.html

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Dixie's tweeted the initials of the two new lads who'll debut at Genesis.

BeDo5Z3IYAAxitW.jpg

Dennis Rodman
    &

Eric Embry

Dennis Rodman
    &

Eric Embry

They would be more entertaining than the two she's actually hired!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Eric Escobar hopefully WWE legend

• Advertisement

While watching the EC3 match on Hrdcore Justice, it did make me wonder if those One Night Only shows count at all? For one it seems Sting is being made out to be EC3's first proper opponent, yet he fought Dreamer. Secondly they mentioned his win/loss record and it made me think if he lost would they reference it on Impact at all?

Also TNA must be the only promotion where the PPVs seem to have cheaper production values than their weekly show.

EC3-swoons.jpg

Ah

CastorTroy wrote: »
    While watching the EC3 match on Hrdcore Justice, it did make me wonder if those One Night Only shows count at all? For one it seems Sting is being made out to be EC3's first proper opponent, yet he fought Dreamer. Secondly they mentioned his win/loss record and it made me think if he lost would they reference it on Impact at all?

Also TNA must be the only promotion where the PPVs seem to have cheaper production values than their weekly show.

They don't count. They are literally thrown together for International PPV commitments. They don't expect to make much, if anything, from them. If they didn't have the international commitments, they wouldn't be taping them to begin with. It's literally the cheapest they can get away with.

But as far as I know they are sold as PPVs in the states so technically shouldn't they count like normal PPVs?

But as far as I know they are sold as PPVs in the states so technically shouldn't they count like normal PPVs?

Yeah but they're taped too far in advance to factor into plans so TNA book them as once off non-canon specials.

It's more like on demand rather than a PPV. They are available for a month and I think at a much lower price than the regular PPV's. Other than them telling us when the next one is available, they are never mentioned on TV.

Meltzer thinks the new investor is:

MVP-e1348096560144.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

rovert wrote: »
    MVP

As good as this could be I feel tna will find some way too screw it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

rovert wrote: »
    Meltzer thinks the new investor is:
    MVP

I can see the whole Jarrett thing being 1 big work tbh. Hope it ain't I nearly want another company now, just to see what they offer & if they have learned from TNA's mistakes.

• Advertisement

Really looking forward to seeing MVP if he is the mystery investor.Could be a cracking babyface.They'll probably turn him heel after 3 appearances knowing TNA though.

Advertisement