Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The offical TNA thread - News, Spoilers and the rest...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

MVP? What a waste of money if true. Guy is 40 now, and I just don't think he is really all that worth it. TNA should be getting younger wrestlers and trying to build new stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Nah,he's a steady hand in the ring,very good and the mic and a sort of well known name.He's effectively replacing Sting's role on the roster.

They've already brought in Edwards and Richards anyway,so they can try their luck at turning them into stars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

I dont know who MVP is......Googled....not impressed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

TNA signed Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards to one-year contracts, as we first reported in Thursday's Dot Net Weekly audio show. The duo can still work independent shows approved by TNA, but there are restrictions that prevent TNA talent from working iPPV events, appearing on regional television shows, and appearing on DVDs sold in retail stores. Richards and Edwards are expected to work the TNA UK tour and appear on live events beginning in February.

Powell's POV: There is one change from our Thursday report. I was initially under the impression that Richards and Edwards would be allowed to work for any Japanese promotion. However, I have since been told that the duo will likely be limited to working for Keiji Mutoh's Wrestle-1, as TNA has a working agreement with that promotion.

Wonder if Ireland gets the Wolves too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Is MVP not supposed to be taking time off?

If it is him, they have to go back to the Antonio Bank$ character and all three or four matches he had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Is MVP not supposed to be taking time off?

If it is him, they have to go back to the Antonio Bank$ character and all three or four matches he had.

Antonio Banks?
    Is he related to Carlton and Uncle Phil?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

He's already done some great thing in TNA. Period!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I dont know who MVP is......Googled....not impressed.

Really??? You dont know who he is?

Ah hes a great worker and a likeable guy and a cool cocky heel when in WWE. Very underutilized in the last year with the company.

His work in NJPW has been stellar.

What exactly doesnt impress you? I think he could be a great adition if used correctly.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    His work in NJPW has been stellar.

Ah here no way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

rovert wrote: »
    Ah here no way.

OK maybe I've over sold him, but I enjoyed his work.

• Advertisement

Despite trying his hardest he never fully adapted to the style and had the required conditioning. He was a straggler.

This guy is crowd sourcing $5 million to buy TNA:
    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-great-wrestling-revolution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

This guy is crowd sourcing $5 million to buy TNA:
    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-great-wrestling-revolution

Ha ha best of luck with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Any reason why Vince wouldn't buy TNA? 5 Million is loose change to him, and for his money he gets some decent talent and another video library collection for the network.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Charisteas wrote: »
    Any reason why Vince wouldn't buy TNA? 5 Million is loose change to him, and for his money he gets some decent talent and another video library collection for the network.
    Because it's not for sale for 5 million in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bud1970

Just wondering, iis there anyone else here that is getting a little bored with Dixie carter gushing over how wonderful she is, while cockstar butt has his lips surgically implanted on her arse, and EC zero cheats his way through the impact roster, or annihalate wrestlers that are no match for him? hate magnus as a heel too, liked him a lott more as a face... come back, aces and eights... all is forgiven.....

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Charisteas wrote: »

Because it's not a worthwhile investment really when you think about it or at least in the sense that he most likely wouldn't get the return on the money he spends on buying it. Any talent that are there are on max 2 year contracts based on public knowledge so he can pick them up once the contract expires or if they ask for a release. The video library isn't really decent, it's ten years the majority of which isn't exactly gripping viewing and that's coming from a TNA fan.

With WCW it was different, it was going for cheap, still considered the 2nd largest wrestling organisation in the world at the time, had good talent and had a video library that stretched like 40 years due to the NWA/Crocket ties. Not to mention that at the time Vince was a billionaire, had more money to burn and probably the biggest factor being that WCW was the first and only competitor since to beat him at his own game for the best part of 2 years which no doubt made it a personal achievement for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

WWF bought WCW for feck all because the new executive of Turner thought very little of pro wrestling and cancelled all WCW programming.None of the other potential buyers were prepared to invest in a company with no TV deal,so Vince was left to pick the bones.Jericho said in his book that if he had of known WCW would be sold for so little ($2.5m plus $1.8m legal fees) he would have bought it himself.

The only thing of any value TNA has is the contract with Spike TV,which WWE wouldn't be interested in.I'm sure when TNA eventually folds Vince will pick up the tape library for significantly less than $5 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Regarding WCW's super low price, I've never heard an answer to this question: Was it's price not largely because they're was a load of performers contracted to WCW who were on fixed contracts? Like, I know the big names were all directly contracted to Time Warner or whatever, but the rest of them were part of the WCW bundle, weren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Simon above you pretty much answered your question. They were about to lose TV slots plus ratings were on a downward spiral so there was no advertising value in it. TNT didn't think it was a viable source of revenue and wanted to get rid of it pretty quickly because it was losing so much money in the last 2 years and if anything the video library alone was worth what WWE paid for the whole company. Plus as you already pointed out the big name talent besides Booker T and maybe DDP were tied down to AOL/Time Warner. All you had left was a shell of the company and WWE took advantage of that.

• Advertisement

bud1970 wrote: »
    Just wondering, iis there anyone else here that is getting a little bored with Dixie carter gushing over how wonderful she is, while cockstar butt has his lips surgically implanted on her arse, and EC zero cheats his way through the impact roster, or annihalate wrestlers that are no match for him? hate magnus as a heel too, liked him a lott more as a face... come back, aces and eights... all is forgiven.....

I think it was the right choice to turn Magnus heel. He wasn't doing much good as a face, and up until his slow heel turn he wasn't that interesting to me. But I think his heel turn along with the build up to it has been done quite well despite being predictable. He got a win over Sting and became TNA World Heavyweight Champion, and got some nice heat from beating AJ Style in such a dirty way.

As for Dixie and Rockstar Spud. Hate Dixie but Spud plays his role very well. He kind've makes the Dixie segments a little bit more bearable to me. Just a little bit. And EC3, I'm still not to sure what to think of him. I watched him in WWE when he was Derrick Batemen as well as his debut in TNA and I think he has potential. I think he was a good catch for TNA tbh though. A new young wrestler that is fresh to TNA, that's what they need is new and younger wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Regarding WCW's super low price, I've never heard an answer to this question: Was it's price not largely because they're was a load of performers contracted to WCW who were on fixed contracts? Like, I know the big names were all directly contracted to Time Warner or whatever, but the rest of them were part of the WCW bundle, weren't they?

Yeah I think they took on 25 of the lesser valued contracts as part of the purchase, so they either kept the individual in question on or paid off the remainder and released them. Of the big names I think DDP and Booker T walked away from money to join straight away, they agreed to be bought out for a percentage of their Time Warner contracts. Most of the top names were content to sit at home and see out their deals. WWF could have offered to buy some out in full at the time but they chose not to.

Apparently Dixie Carter vs the babyface investor storyline is meant to run until October. To that's really scary as the over exposure of Dixie and her being push above the wrestlers is one of TNA's bigger issues. Also TNA tend to stick to their plans no matter what.

Apparently Dixie Carter vs the babyface investor storyline is meant to run until October. To that's really scary as the over exposure of Dixie and her being push above the wrestlers is one of TNA's bigger issues. Also TNA tend to stick to their plans no matter what.

Remember when Aces & 8's was meant to last until BFG and then it lasted another what? 9 months.

Also TNA tend to stick to their plans no matter what.

They don't chop and change as much as WWE, but they aren't shy about just killing off stories when they get bored of them. A lot of stuff has been dropped over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Not entirely unexpected. They do this year long stuff most years and it's nearly always the worst part of the show. I love how they have Lethal Lockdown every year, which is the perfect blow off for those kind of team vs. team feuds and every year they set this kind of stuff up (Immortal vs. Fortune, MEM vs. Frontline, Aces and 8s vs. TNA, Dixieland vs. Investor) yet never use Lethal Lockdown to blow it off. It's a waste of a strong gimmick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Yeah I think they took on 25 of the lesser valued contracts as part of the purchase, so they either kept the individual in question on or paid off the remainder and released them. Of the big names I think DDP and Booker T walked away from money to join straight away, they agreed to be bought out for a percentage of their Time Warner contracts. Most of the top names were content to sit at home and see out their deals. WWF could have offered to buy some out in full at the time but they chose not to.
    Yeah, that's what I thought. Like, the 25 they took on could maybe have added a few more million. Considering WWE's roster was large enough at the time, I think it's fair to say that those extra contracts should count as part of the price for the tape library.

Of course, even if that brought up the total cost to $5 million or so, it's still way less than WWE themselves would have been willing to pay for that tape library imo.

Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

The contracts of TNA stars Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian are set to expire in April. Daniels is reportedly one of the few TNA talents that still has a good deal in place.

At this time, the feeling is that Daniels will be getting the cost-cutting treatment when it comes time for him to re-negotiate.

Also as noted late last night, the original plans for the debut of the American Wolves (Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards) was for them to win the TNA Tag Titles from the BroMans. Dave Lagana felt that they got the BroMans over, so the plans were changed. At this time, the plan is to have The Wolves work with Daniels and Kazarian.

Daniels will be 44 by the time the contract is up. I dont think he will have many options. Kazarian might, but I dont see why he would try and move at this point in time.

• Advertisement

In all fairness why would you get rid of Bad Influence? I realize they released AJ Styles but that was more because of Styles. But I think it would be wrong for TNA to drop another TNA original in Daniels. Plus I also heard Samoa Joe's contract is up around July so it seems there are other contracts up for guys who helped build TNA.

Advertisement