Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The offical TNA thread - News, Spoilers and the rest...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

AndywK wrote: »
    I'd imagine mainly because Ireland can't be too profitable for TNA.
    Since we are an island the costs of bringing all the stuff over here for 1 night is crazy, I'm pretty sure its just not worth their while.

Course I would love to see them over here, but the logistics ain't there.

(This is speaking from experience as someone who used to work for a promotions company that would bring over bands from abroad)

I dont know about the last time they came over, but the time before that they sold out two nights in a row. They easily have the fan base and if they are already over this way, how much more can it really cost to make an extra stop along the way? I'd understand if they werent coming over for anything else but they are doing a European tour so they will be over anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I just think whats unlucky for TNA is that they dont do much to advertise the events when they are announced in Dublin imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I just think whats unlucky for TNA is that they dont do much to advertise the events when they are announced in Dublin imo

Seriously? They are in every paper I read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I think he means on TV. I remember reading an article with Abyss when they were in dublin some time ago; it was in the Metro lol. I wonder where they set up a ring for those publicity shots lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I think he means on TV. I remember reading an article with Abyss when they were in dublin some time ago; it was in the Metro lol. I wonder where they set up a ring for those publicity shots lol

I also seem to remember the shows being fairly publicised, I just wish they wouldn't keep using the same poster with a new date on it. This years poster had Awesome Kong on it after she had already signed with WWE.

I do fondly remember that Abyss publicity shot, but only because it was my introduction to Georgia Salpa ;)

2009-07-chris-parks-akahe-monster-abyss---georgia-salpa-4.jpg

• Advertisement

I'd imagine mainly because Ireland can't be too profitable for TNA.
    Since we are an island the costs of bringing all the stuff over here for 1 night is crazy, I'm pretty sure its just not worth their while.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me, but they could run Dublin and Belfast two night in a row like WWE do.

Still 5 months away until the Euro tour, but if they havn't announced a Dublin or Belfast date by September, I may consider looking for a cheap flight to London to catch one of the shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Charisteas wrote: »
    I do fondly remember that Abyss publicity shot, but only because it was my introduction to Georgia Salpa ;)

2009-07-chris-parks-akahe-monster-abyss---georgia-salpa-4.jpg

Lucky Bastard. Ahh Georgia Salpa no Kim Kardashian but she'll do nicely,very nicely.

Speaking of publicity, does anyone else remember Abyss doing the weather on TV3? :D

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Speaking of publicity, does anyone else remember Abyss doing the weather on TV3? :D

I hope he black holed slammed their annoying weatherman on some glass,tacks & barbed wire.

that was brilliant.

• Advertisement

Did he forecast Rayne over Madison?

Thankfully not. I remember every week seeing a very similar sign on Impact saying "I make it Rayne all over Madison". Not only is it stupid, I think thats an incredibly disresprectful thing to be showing on TV.

Charisteas wrote: »
    Did he forecast Rayne over Madison?

Yep. Although it's clear sky in Winter :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭AndywK

I dont know about the last time they came over, but the time before that they sold out two nights in a row. They easily have the fan base and if they are already over this way, how much more can it really cost to make an extra stop along the way? I'd understand if they werent coming over for anything else but they are doing a European tour so they will be over anyway.

The costs of bringing nightliners and trucks over here by boat are actually f'in crazy at times. Plus you got to pay whoever is working, pay the promotion company ya ya ya

This is a huge example of why tons of bands dont play Ireland on Euro tours or you would only see them over here once every so often(Kiss,Rush,Manowar)

I could go a lot further in depth but I cant be arsed ha.

And I dont mean TV by the way, just a normal house show.

Ireland ain't worth it folks......and thats the fishing line cause Shark Boy said so!

When you say they sold out, it was only the National Stadium no?

What about the time they had the o2? I say that lost a fair bit.

A lot of the time these things are overlooked, it aint just as simple as hoping a ryanair flight for em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

All they need is a ring. That's a transit van rental they need. Then stick them all in another rental transit van, grand total; about 500 quid to get over.

This isn't exactly iron maiden coming with 7 or 8 lorryloads of stage and equipment. :pac:

CMpunked wrote: »
    All they need is a ring. That's a transit van rental they need. Then stick them all in another rental transit van, grand total; about 500 quid to get over

This isn't exactly iron maiden coming with 7 or 8 lorryloads of stage and equipment. :pac:

No it isn't of course, but it aint as simple as that.

It's hard to explain through text for me, but trust me, it aint that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I know vaguely what is involved with event management, and the transit van bit was tongue in cheek.
    But seriously, it can't be that big of a deal to come across a tiny stretch of water when it probably costs them more to travel from edinburah/Glasgow down to London.

CMpunked wrote: »
    I know vaguely what is involved with event management, and the transit van bit was tongue in cheek.
    But seriously, it can't be that big of a deal to come across a tiny stretch of water when it probably costs them more to travel from edinburah/Glasgow down to London.

You dont go through customs between those cities.

TNA will definetly be over in January,they announced the UK dates earlier I imagine because they are bigger venues. They practically sold out every date they did over here & i'm sure one or two 1,000+ gates would turn a profit for them. They probably get better crowds in the European tours than the US Houseshows

Rovert understands my point of view. Danke!

I was involved with event management for near 4 years dude,and thats not just booking venues. That was reading contracts, organising transport, accomodation, fulfiling the artists riders, oh and the fact since most of TNA are yanks they also need to get special work permits to actually perform live since they are a non EU citizen making money(if TNA do that is another question). And there is a million more things

1,000 payers per night for a 2 night stay aint really that great. I know that the boxing stadium ain't the cheapest either.

If TNA do come over, then great. I will be there with bells on, Angle, Joe, AJ are some of my favourite all time wrestlers.
    But as someone who has worked in the booking end of the "Entertainment" industry, I just can't see it being worth their while.

Oh and what ferry will they get, how much do the vehicles weigh, how many people will be included in them vehicles, blah blah blah.

Just trust me on it. Stop looking at it from a fans point of view but a business point. 'cause remeber thats what it is, a business. And what is the goal of a business, to make a profit!

And then take in the fact they have to get back over to the UK(which means more time and money) as most touring artists/promotions only use Ireland as a filler if they have a day or two off in the UK.

Sad, but true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

When you say they sold out, it was only the National Stadium no?

What about the time they had the o2? I say that lost a fair bit.

I was working at that gig - they lost an absolute bomb!! Got under 2,000 people and were under serious pressure from mcd and o2 higher ups to cancel it!

Moneys just not worth it - hence why wwe didn't come to Dublin a while back even though they were up in Belfast!

Hell it's the reason fozzy didn't come to Dublin last time either!

Ireland just isn't profitable at certain times for certain shows!

Hell it's the reason fozzy didn't come to Dublin last time either!

Fozzy were here last year :confused: Or do u mean this year?

Yeah i'd imagine it's just not worth their while. They should only come over once every 2-3 years max; they're not that popular. But they don't need to lose any more money than they already do. I can only imagine all of the hidden costs needed to actually bloody put on the show.

They shouldn't be touring England every year either. The MEN show was a bit sad seeing it so empty.

Fozzy were here last year, that was one of the final shows I really helped out with when I was in that business. Fozzy done half as many people last year as they did in the Voodoo back in 06/07???? Memories hazy

Fozzy are touring this year yes and you can take it from the horses mouth that they won't be over here unless a new promoter decides to take the risk.

Well said Grames, you understand my POV too. It is heartbreaking at times tho to see shows flop, especially when your a wrestling fan your whole life.

Anywhos, all this talk made me go on a TNA youtube spree last night and I must say I freakin love Stings new gimmick. He became so bland to me(maybe not to everyone else) with the older gimmick.
    Seeing Sting a bit more a-wall is pretty cool and he plays the psycho joker very well. His promos are excellent too
    I don't see it as a rip off either, remember The Crow. Didn't everyone think
    that was cool.

I also tried signing up to that fantasy wrestling thing they had, but no chance in hell I am giving any CC info for a fantasy league.

Also can anyone explain why Dixie Carter has gone off the record altogether. I know Immortal took over TNA but she seems to have vanished from Twitter and everything else.(I tend to watch TNA for a month and then stop for 4 months)

I don't think you can compare ripping off a "cult-hit" (that's being generous) to ripping off an iconic pop-culture character of a billion-dollar grossing movie. The clown goons were hilariously bad. I mean come on!

Kayfabe Dixie's gone dark because she's been stripped of her power but in reality she stopped tweeting because she got tired of hearing how terrible her company is.

Shame Sting's not coming to Ireland. But if you've got a few mates you could fly over to England. Did it twice with mates, it's a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I don't think you can compare ripping off a "cult-hit" (that's being generous) to ripping off an iconic pop-culture character of a billion-dollar grossing movie. The clown goons were hilariously bad. I mean come on!

His mannerisms aren't really similar to the Dark Knight Joker. It's more along the lines of one of the earlier, goofier ones. And really who cares, he's been much more entertaining since.

Would it not be possible for TNA to team up with IWW and do the show(s) together here? They wouldnt need to bring a ring or anything over since they no longer use the six sides. Getting the talent over would be all thats required and I cant see that being too much of a hassel considering they are going through Europe anyway.

They would have to pay IWW something to use their facilities but I reckon it'd be very little as IWW would be mad to not try and get in with the second biggest company in America.

oh come on, "some men just want to watch the world burn" couldn't be more Dark Knight (find it on botchamania). Between his warped makeup creating the chelsea smile, laughing when getting beat up and the clown goons it's Dark Knight. That said, over the past few weeks he's moved to the older Jokers.

I agree it's more entertaining that the half-assed face he's been doing for years though. I can't believe his comedy schtick is the main event and he's the champion though. Comedy should never be around the main event. I don't know how they thought the Guard-bird wouldn't be anything but a laughing stock :o

They might have 1-2 local guys on the tour - that's where the lad that debuted at Destination X (Mark Haskins?) started with TNA; on the european tour. LOL at him being boo'ed in Dublin tho :p

I don't want to bash IWW or any irish promotion but i'd doubt there'd be anything in it for TNA, who are much, much higher on the food chain. If I were TNA I wouldn't trust anyone else's equipment on tour.

I don't want to bash IWW or any irish promotion but i'd doubt there'd be anything in it for TNA, who are much, much higher on the food chain. If I were TNA I wouldn't trust anyone else's equipment on tour.

And I dont think IWW have any assets to shoulder potential financial burdens.

• Advertisement

Kayfabe Dixie's gone dark because she's been stripped of her power but in reality she stopped tweeting because she got tired of hearing how terrible her company is.

Shame Sting's not coming to Ireland. But if you've got a few mates you could fly over to England. Did it twice with mates, it's a lot of fun.

Thanks for that. Maybe I don't really care for Batman so thats why I am not as "angry" with the Gimmick.

I may just do that or even go to America for a PPV. I travel abroad for gigs about 20 times a year so might aswell but some wrestling in there too.

Only really got into this forum properly lately and it's great to see some level-headed smart discussion going on here. :)

Advertisement