Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy in UK - Return in Ireland House of Fraser

Options
  • 16-01-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Bought a jacket for about 300euro in House of Fraser in Belfast. It's faulty. The store in Dundrum won't take it back or offer assistance. Is this back form?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

most places won't because it would be an administrational nightmare if they let everyone do it, and people would use it to manipulate exchange rates & UK vs Eire pricing for financial gain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I don't see it as being bad form.

I would see the Belfast branch as being House of Fraser (UK) while the Dundrum branch is House of Fraser (Ire).

They are not technically the same - i.e. could a Belfast staff member transfer to the Dundrum branch? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

No not bad form, the two are operating under different terms in two seperate countries. You should ring/email the branch in Belfast and explain your situation (nicely). They might refund you by post once you send it to them and refund you the postage, you never know. No chance you/someone else you know is travelling to Belfast soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Enii wrote: »
    I don't see it as being bad form.

I would see the Belfast branch as being House of Fraser (UK) while the Dundrum branch is House of Fraser (Ire).

They are not technically the same - i.e. could a Belfast staff member transfer to the Dundrum branch? I doubt it.

Well judging by other companies that operate in UK and Ireland they could of course.

I'm sure the store would have their own exchange rate which this would be subject to, but a credit note should at least be possible.

OP you should contact the HQ in the UK and/or Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Not bad form, this is the downside of shopping up north. you couldnt blame the dublin shop for not obliging you as you didnt shop with them.

you cant have your loaf and eat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I wouldn't see it as bad form but having experienced other companies go that extra bit, it is a bit annoying.

I've bought various things when over in the UK and have had no problem exchanging them for other items

Having said that, however, my exchanges were due to size/colour issues and were just swapped essentially, whereas your issue is with a fault and thus, your jacket cannot be re-sold in the place of the swapped one.

As mentioned above, it could be a bit of an administrative nightmare...

Advertisement