Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Cultural Policy and Arts Management

Options
  • 16-01-2010 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

I am thinking about applying for this course and was wondering if anyone has any feedback or information about it ?

Thanks a mill ..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lil*lady

A friend of mine has done it, and now has a really good job in the arts, but it took a lot of work. I pretty much didn't see her all that year, but she did enjoy it. It's very practical, there's a good bit of business involved, which she found a bit difficult as she came from an arts background. There was also a good deal of group work, which at times worked, at other times not so much, but that's the nature of group work really. As far as I know she liked it, put you get out what you put in. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tonimct

Hey

Thanks a mill for that good to hear some feedback .. do you know if she found it hard to get a job after doing the course? Im the opposite to her I am going from a business background and I am going into the Arts ( I hope)- so just worried that it will be really hard to find a job afterward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lil*lady

Sorry didn't get back to you sooner, with the site being down and a few other things I got distracted.

She's very determined and found a job - not immediately mind, but she had experience previously of working in the arts -low down mind, a part time job in theatre - so that helped her a bit, bumped up the auld CV. Maybe if you don't have any arts experience try to get say a p/t job? Or even volunteer for the film festival in February?

She had to go through a few interview processes for different jobs, she kept plugging away at it, think it took her about two and a half months or so...which these days isn't bad for postgrads if my group of friends are anything to go by. She had one or two weeks here and there to get experience in places before she got her current job tho.

To work in the arts it's either about who you know or busting your ass off constantly getting on to people to get to know..thankfully she's the latter a loverly lady and not the pompous "do you know who I am kind", unfortunately though, it just meant she'd to hound a lot of people for jobs, print off a hell of a lot of cvs and go to a lot of interviews-one or two were pretty bizarre!

So there are jobs and internships out there at the moment, but you've to work at finding them..

If you've any more questions I'll ask herself and see what her advice is.

Hope this helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tonimct

Hey

Thanks a mill .. thats actually really helpfull Im trying to do as much volunteer work as possible !! I am also looking into getting an internship this year before the course so fingers crossed if I fire out enough CVs someone will take some interest !!!

Thanks again for all the information its great to hear from someone who knows something about it !

Take care and tanks
    Toni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Carqm2011

Hi Toni,

Just wondering did you end up getting the Masters in Sept? If yes, what is it like??

• Advertisement
Advertisement