Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash Unit?

• 16-01-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

I was at Canon Course today in Cork. The lecturer dude said that one of the most important parts of an Irish photographer's kit is an external flash. Do you agree with this statement?

I've just started with photography, I got a 500d for Christmas and I have a Tamron 70-300mm as well. I have a small budget but I would like to get a flash, one that can be used to bounce light off walls, ceilings and used off the camera too. And what flash unit do ye recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I was at Canon Course today in Cork. The lecturer dude said that one of the most parts of an Irish photographer's kit is an external flash. Do you agree with this statement?

most important you mean i presume.

it would surely depend on the type of photography you're into ??

my main interest in landscape and nature type shots - so i hardly ever use my external flash - a 430 EX. however - it is very handy for the odd wedding or portraits. i know for me, a tripod and various filters is the most important part of my kit.

also its possibe, as a canon course, that the individual has a vested interest in pushing more canon products at you ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I've just started with photography, I got a 500d for Christmas and I have a Tamron 70-300mm as well. I have a small budget but I would like to get a flash, one that can be used to bounce light off walls, ceilings and used off the camera too. And what flash unit do ye recommend?

If you want to use the flash off camera then you will have to get one that has a sinc function eg.430EX 580EX and then you will need to buy a wireless trigger too, the Canon ones are expensive but their are 3rd party ones on Ebay.
    I was at Canon Course today in Cork. The lecturer dude said that one of the most important parts of an Irish photographer's kit is an external flash. Do you agree with this statement?

Yes one of, I would say the lens would be more important though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

padocon wrote: »
    If you want to use the flash off camera then you will have to get one that has a sinc function eg.430EX 580EX and then you will need to buy a wireless trigger too, the Canon ones are expensive but their are 3rd party ones on Ebay.

Yes one of, I would say the lens would be more important though.
    Your man at the course had a wireless trigger (the 430 and 580 ex models) but he also had a wired connection to the hotshoe mount for them. The wired one would be fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Your man at the course had a wireless trigger (the 430 and 580 ex models) but he also had a wired connection to the hotshoe mount for them. The wired one would be fine for me.

Oh yes, but if he had the 430 and 580 then he would not even need one as there is a slave function. I must look into getting one of the wired ones too.

Advertisement