Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mysteries in Maynooth....

• 16-01-2010 11:29pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'm writing a book and am looking for inspiration. I've got my character and my setting but need a mystery of sorts for the plot. It's only in it's very early stages, but I have decided to start investigating the Uni's history to see if there's anything really there that could provide an interesting starting point.

Is there any historical mysteries in Maynooth that have always puzzled the minds of people or will I have to make one up? I know there's that room where the guy saw the devil and such, but that's not going to make a great book. :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

... there's the mystery of why it took 15 months for plans for the canteen to be done up.

But on a serious note, I'm sure if you asked Joe Byrne he'd be able to give you some ideas. He lurks around here occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

http://www.amazon.com/Window-Maynooth-Denis-Meehan/dp/B0000CP86Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263683569&sr=1-1

Good book on the history of maynooth. It's on google books in extremely limited form, so unfortunately you'll have to buy it. It's focused mainly on the famous mystery though. The thing with the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

You could write a monthly on the murder of some chick and introduce supposedly Irish characters with names like Max and Sam?
    Or you could write a story on the mystery of why there is such a strong smell of burning oil when going to Logic House from the direction of the Library?
    On a more serious note, my housemate (username Holda) found a book in her local library that had factual ghost stories about Maynooth, maybe PM her and ask what the name of it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

There is a recent PhD thesis from the history department on suicide and the catholic church in the library, cant remember the authors name. Should be around 2006, good chunk on Maynooth with source references.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jppbesq

The aforementioned Ghost-story keeper here [@leopoldbloom finally decided to register, since I've been outed as a lurker :P]. I have collected many of the south campus ghost stories for the tours I did before Hallowe'en. I have some audio recordings of some of the stories and would also be glad to chat about any in person.

The "Blood Room" has to do with historical suicides in the middle of the nineteenth century in the seminary. Involving [allegedly] Satan's appearing in a mirror: Room 2, Rhetoric House.

Welcome! DO IT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Maynooth, unlike no other place in the world has absolutly no mysteries, which in itself is a mystery.

In a creepy twist of fate, every single thing about maynooth is well documented and transparent.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

ever wonder why maynooth campus is here? look a bit harder.... stonemasons...rome curiouser and curiouser... strategic placements ummmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

gigawatt wrote: »
    ever wonder why maynooth campus is here? look a bit harder.... stonemasons...rome curiouser and curiouser... strategic placements ummmmmmm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMiCJefpn9Q

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

gigawatt wrote: »

Actually, one thing which always intrigued me was the foundation of Maynooth. We did about it briefly in my MA in English, all about how it was founded by the English cause they didn't want the Irish going to France and other revolutionary countries, being drawn in by their ideas and coming back to Ireland with "ideas" (Well, that's the rough, quick draft).

Thanks for the help guys. I actually stumbled upon some really interesting stuff following some leads. I hope you guys realise why I don't want to specify what myth I'll be following though since it's never really been written about and I don't want people getting "ideas" either :P Help was appreciated though.

Advertisement