Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lost photo's/videos

• 17-01-2010 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

hi,
    whilst trying to clear up some space on the mem card in my sony/eric phone by transferring them onto my home pc i accidently deleted all before i transferred(all my good snow photos and vids and my christmas photos!),i was using the sony ericsson media manager and deleted the camera folder instead of some files ie jpg's,the operating system on my pc is windows xp and i'm just wondering if they're gone? or where they go if not? thanks in advance for any help,
    t:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Data is stored in "blocks" on flash cards and drives. When you erase something those blocks are marked as "empty" even though the actual data that was in the blocks is still there. Then, as you use the card or hard drive, the blocks will get overwritten because they are marked as empty.

The first thing you should do once you discover you've erased something you didn't mean to is to immediately stop writing to the drive or card (i.e. don't use it in your phone). If you're not writing data to the card then there's no risk you will overwrite the blocks with your old data.

Then you need to see about a File Recovery utility (google it) and perform some file recovery on the card or drive.

It's uncommon to recover the files with their original filename by the way, just in case that was important to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 feelinfoul

thanks touchingvirus,
    i'll try the file recovering utility and let you know how i got on,file names not important(all dsc00659....etc),
    regards t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EffyMiles

First don't save any new files to your mem card, then you can photo recovery software to recover lost photos and videos. Or you can use some data recovery software which has better effect on recovering lost videos.

I have used Wondershare Photo Recovery which helps me get back my deleted photos in my Canon camera card with good quality, and it's the most cheapest among the commercial recovery tools which is only $19.95. You can use it to scan your card and see the recovery result in a preview windows then decide if it fits your need. Just give a try and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 feelinfoul

hi,
    touchingvirus thanks a mill,i googled "file recovery utility" as suggested and was led to this link:http://www.piriform.com/recuva/downloadwhich worked a treat,thanks again,t:D
    effymiles,true i had to save recovered files to a different drive,the above software was free,regards,t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

feelinfoul wrote: »
    hi,
    touchingvirus thanks a mill,i googled "file recovery utility" as suggested and was led to this link:http://www.piriform.com/recuva/downloadwhich worked a treat,thanks again,t:D
    effymiles,true i had to save recovered files to a different drive,the above software was free,regards,t

You're very welcome, delighted you got it sorted :)

As an aside (for the future), I'd be very wary of people with just 1 post who are recommending software "for only $19.95" - they could have a vested interest in the product or be targetted spambots looking for your business - like those anti-virus pops that tell you your system is riddled and you need their special program to fix it which costs only 9.95 :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement