Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Mice

Options
  • 17-01-2010 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

I have a Logitech MX518 but am thinking of going to the G9 for extra twitchiness

what mouse are you currently using and are you a mouse lifter (ooer missus!) or a high dpi user?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

razor deathadder > all

high dps is completely pointless btw. you are much better off going for 900 dps and then customize it in game and on windows. you want smoothness and exactness, not ultra high XXX with added peanut butter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

People are one side or the other, Razor or Logitech.

Its whatever feels good in your hand tbh. Each to his own

Logitech G5 for me, can't be dealing with wireless, and the G9 looks to blocky for my liking

My advice would be, whatever mouse you do get, make sure you splash on a decent mousepad, it makes the difference..I mean a large one, like Steelpad series.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I still use my trusty MX518. I tried some of the laser mice like the G5, but I lift the mouse when playing and I found that the laser would still track when I lifted the mouse which was a disaster for me. Does anyone know of any mice that don't do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Logitech G9 here, had it since release and love it.
    I hate razor mice, hate them, very poor workmanship and always feel cheap and play like crap. Bought the Mamba and within a week it was smashed off the wall, useless piece of crap mouse :mad:
    Went back to my trusty G9 and still using it.
    G9x version out now I think also.

I was tempted at one stage by the Coolermaster Sentinal mouse but just can't part with the G9, yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I agree with the above razer comments, except the razer deathadder. It is the best mouse ive ever used :)

logitech to me feel like novelty mouses, too big and feel and look cheap :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

I've been using the Razer Diamondback for a couple of years now and I love it, can't really fault it at all. As people said above, its down to personal preference. I don't like the feel of the G9 or the mx518 nor do I like wireless mice so I went with Razer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

I use the CM (Cooler master) storm.

Nothing better, lemme tell ya..

It is a great mouse, looks great, has lots of buttons, you can put your own picture on the mice, can change DPI in less than a second..

My only complaint is that it is very hard to press down mouse3.. You get used to it after about a week, and after that it is smooth sailing. If anything, it will make your index finger stronger, as it has mine. I would seriously recommend this mouse.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Logitech G9 here, had it since release and love it.
    I hate razor mice, hate them, very poor workmanship and always feel cheap and play like crap. Bought the Mamba and within a week it was smashed off the wall, useless piece of crap mouse :mad:
    Went back to my trust G9 and still using it.
    G9x version out now I think also.

I was tempted at one stage by the Coolermaster Sentinal mouse but just can't part with the G9, yet :)

Got a razer something or other and initially loved it but I had issues with it becoming momentarily unresponsive. Tried updating the firmware and the updater bricked it completely. Won't go near Razer again.

Bought a Logitech G9 instead. Great mouse & I'd totally recommend it. Can't go wrong with Logitech as far as I'm concerned. I have a G15 keyboard which is great and G35 headset which is also great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Stick with the mx518 and up your sens,sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Logitech MX518 owner here.

In my opinion, different brands suit different hand shapes. Having tried Razor and MS gaming mice before they just don't suit the shape of my (relatively big) hands, the button layout feels exceptionally cramped. I've noticed in recent years the Logitech shape seems to have shrunk but they still are the most comfortable I can find to suit my hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I was using razer mice for years, while I do like the design and weight of them, the drivers are garbage. My diambondback for example, will cause a bluescreen on my vista setup if I resume from hibernate. On xp it regularly forgets my button layout while the computer is up and running. Haven't tried it in windows 7 yet but I can't imagine it being any different from vista.

I went for a g9 recently(it was cheap on komplett) and I'm relatively happy with that. The weights are a pretty stupid idea and sit right at the back of the mouse, creating this unpleasant drag, which is worth considering if you like a heavier mouse. I don't like that they're giving you everything in one box as what's essentially a build your own gaming mouse kit, seems lazy when they could have just playtested with the things and picked a surface and an amount of weight for it. Saying that, I do like the feel of the "comfort" surface more for doing non gaming stuff at the computer. Having the on the fly sensitivity has actually turned out to be more useful outside of games, it's a bit of a godsend for my inkscape work.

I'm a fingertip gamer, usually I set the dpi up way high and barely move the mouse for shooters, both razer mice I've had have been better suited to this than the logitech, which even at base weight is taking some getting used to for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

had a g9 and reverted back to my g5. i love it. used the razer deathadder too, fantastic mouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

I got a microsoft habu recently to replace a dodgy saitek GM3200. Its a very comfortable mouse, and it has what I need: extra buttons. Sensitivity is good and has the buttons to adjust it quickly, but I`m not the CS type who has a 10k DPI mouse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was thinking of buying a G9,where can I get one at a good price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't really use a gaming mouse.

I use a wireless Toshiba Laser mouse. I know people will go on wireless = lag but not really when your talking about something like a wireless mouse. Maybe 1-2ms and that isn't going to make any difference TBH. I don't play competitively anyway, just for fun so if it does get me killed, I don't care :P I'm usually top 2-3 on most servers I play on anyway. Ping time has a much bigger effect than anything else really IMO.

It has 8 buttons in good locations and a DPI changing session. I usually play on max sensitivity as I don't like lifting the mouse when I play. I usually have high sensitivity in windows and in game too. I like to spin 360 with about an inch of movement. It works very well in TF2 for catching spies sneaking up behind :D

My main gripe is some of the buttons have pre-defined uses that can't be overwritten on the mouse. I use the DPI settings to reduce the sensitivity when playing sniper to a more reasonable level. I mostly use medium DPI setting but will put it to high if playing Medic or pyro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Razer Death Adder. First one last me 2 years which was quite a lot of gaming time. Picked up a second one without even looking at any others, it just works well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I am using the G9 and have been using it for over a year now. It is the best mice I have ever used. EVER!

It is so customisable. There are two different grips that have different shapes thant are designed to fit a certain purpose, but I usually stick with the one and dont bother changing them. There is some customizable weights system in it. Loaded up the weights, as I like a heavy mouse. Perfect positioning of the button that allows on the fly changing of the DPI.
    The mouse is still relatively expensive but if you can afford it, go with it. You will not regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

G9 here just like the weight of it the razor mice are just to light. i know that might sound odd but its what i prefer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

"I know people will go on wireless = lag but not really when your talking about something like a wireless mouse. Maybe 1-2ms and that isn't going to make any difference TBH"

It's not so much the lag I hate as the fact that wireless mice cut out every so often - bad enough when I'm just going work, but if I'm doing something important (ie, gaming online), it would be infuriating.

Not sure why mice need to be wireless - it's not like I'm going anywhere with it.

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

"I know people will go on wireless = lag but not really when your talking about something like a wireless mouse. Maybe 1-2ms and that isn't going to make any difference TBH."

yes it does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

thebman wrote: »
    I don't really use a gaming mouse.

I use a wireless Toshiba Laser mouse. I know people will go on wireless = lag but not really when your talking about something like a wireless mouse. Maybe 1-2ms and that isn't going to make any difference TBH. I don't play competitively anyway, just for fun so if it does get me killed, I don't care :P I'm usually top 2-3 on most servers I play on anyway. Ping time has a much bigger effect than anything else really IMO.

It has 8 buttons in good locations and a DPI changing session. I usually play on max sensitivity as I don't like lifting the mouse when I play. I usually have high sensitivity in windows and in game too. I like to spin 360 with about an inch of movement. It works very well in TF2 for catching spies sneaking up behind :D

My main gripe is some of the buttons have pre-defined uses that can't be overwritten on the mouse. I use the DPI settings to reduce the sensitivity when playing sniper to a more reasonable level. I mostly use medium DPI setting but will put it to high if playing Medic or pyro.
    Wireless Mouse lag is a myth thats been carried over from the Generation 1, Infrared etc. Wireless devices of 5 and 10 years ago. Everythings bluetooth and 2.4ghz and 5.6ghz now with a much better advancement of the tech. The existing latency of 1ms or less is entirely negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Jazzy wrote: »
    "I know people will go on wireless = lag but not really when your talking about something like a wireless mouse. Maybe 1-2ms and that isn't going to make any difference TBH."

yes it does

To the average gamer i doubt it... im not going to get magically better at a game by getting a wired mouse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Overheal wrote: »
    Wireless Mouse lag is a myth thats been carried over from the Generation 1, Infrared etc. Wireless devices of 5 and 10 years ago. Everythings bluetooth and 2.4ghz and 5.6ghz now with a much better advancement of the tech. The existing latency of 1ms or less is entirely negligible.

it exists. ive tested it loads of times. if you want the best out of your mouse you need a wire attached to it. a good mousepad also makes a world of difference.

ms IE 3.0 is also a fantastic mouse and is cheaper too. the mouse of choice for so many actual professional gamers

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Does anyone know if the G9 mouse tracks when you lift it off of the mouse mat?

Skittle wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the G9 mouse tracks when you lift it off of the mouse mat?

It does a little yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Jazzy wrote: »
    ms IE 3.0 is also a fantastic mouse and is cheaper too. the mouse of choice for so many actual professional gamers
    This man speaks truth!

Never cared for the shape of Logitech or Razor mice, but the intelli 3.0 is just perfect (but the later models blow massive chunks - especially the smooth scroll, horrid for gaming).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

so far ive had logitech mice, and i can take em or leave em they feel like im holding a cinder block and are uncomfortable in my hand.

ive had a microsoft intellimouse (laser) good all rounder very reliable.

but my pride and joy's are my
    copperhead
    Diamondback
    and what im using now the Lachesis

i love these mice, i still use the diamondback with my laptop, the copperhead i gave to a friend years ago.

One of the more stranger mice I've had in the pic beside my G9. It's a solar powered wireless mouse :pac:
    Brought it with me whenever I was working in Africa or wherever there was decent sunshine. Not that I ever used it much, more of a gimmick but it did charge up and works pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Overheal wrote: »

Ask anyone with half an IT brain, and they would tell you, if you had the choice, pick wired over wirless, everytime. BETTER everytime!

I use a logitech mx518 myself, have been for a few years, and see no reason to change. Tempted with a razor, but they seem overpriced and small

Advertisement