Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A parking incident rant - abusive driver, advice please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Calina wrote: »
    Oh my this thread is a tad on the tetchy side.

Yeah and its full of chitty chitty bang bang child catchers as well.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Oh my this thread is a tad on the tetchy side.

And as oft happens on here, us drivers who work in the taxi industry are taking a bashing for something that is totally and utterly unrelated to our industry.

Let us get one thing absolutely clear here, complaints in relation to taxi/hackney drivers and cars can only be made in relation to our conduct/standards while in operational service. Ergo to say, if a driver is rude/unruly/incompetent to you as a passenger or intending passenger then a complaint is fair enough but if he is not working and is rude/bad driving/picking his nose/singing the Sash or whatever undesirable act it may be, we become members of the general public and we can get on with parking in illegal spaces, much as the rest of the world does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

if people stopped buying suv 3 tonne 10 foot wide tanks to ferry the children around we wouldnt be in this situation!

The fact is these carpark spaces didnt exist 20 years ago, they only appeared when people started buying these yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

skelliser wrote: »
    if people stopped buying suv 3 tonne 10 foot wide tanks to ferry the children around we wouldnt be in this situation!

The fact is these carpark spaces didnt exist 20 years ago, they only appeared when people started buying these yokes.

i find this quote quite unfair,
    i have a toyota yaris to 'ferry' my child around in and at 6 months she has a car seat which needs to be removed with her in it! the amount of times i have come back to my car which fits neatly in the normal space only to find a car parked over the lines into my space on one or both sides which then results in the situation i have to somehow reverse out the car before putting the baby in...or damaged their cars with my door by forcing it to open wider then their parking will permit in order to fit her seat in. either one i choose means these inconsiderate people will either declare me a terrible parent or an a**h*** for denting their car then you park in a wider P&T space and they b**ch that you are getting preferential treatment you can't win!

OP i don't think you should complain to the taxi regulator as he was as it would seem from your post off duty, but i would complain to the relevant people about the abuse he gave your wife and child.that was unacceptable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what if I (25 years old) bring my mother to the shops, can I park in them?
    :p

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Hamndegger wrote: »
    And as oft happens on here, us drivers who work in the taxi industry are taking a bashing for something that is totally and utterly unrelated to our industry.

It's parents who are getting the bashing here...

My guys can belt themselves up now so we no longer need the wider "parent & child" spaces but they were a Godsend - no need to be worrying about trying to squeeze in whilst making sure that your door wasn't going to hit off anybody else's door. Space to actually reach in and manage the placing multiple straps into one buckle and all that razzamatazz.

They aren't always close to the door. Of course I tend to park further away as it's usually quieter - it makes me laugh seeing muppets drive past many empty sapces just so they can park right up to the door. FFS the distances aren't that far.

Of course these spaces aren't out of altruism - it's about marketing : make the spaces family-friendly and the families will turn up and shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

parsi wrote: »
    Of course these spaces aren't out of altruism - it's about marketing : make the spaces family-friendly and the families will turn up and shop.

Now that you've said it, thats a very obvious point and more than likely the only reason for those spaces being there. I doubt the shops / centres give a fu(k about doors banging off cars or any other incidents in the car park

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Why should a mother have to unnecessarily struggle to get a pram, shopping and crying baby in and out of her car just so you can get to the shops 2 minutes quicker?

I've never seen one of these parking spaces and don't understand the point of them. Surely everyone puts their shopping and pram in the boot of the car so how does extra width help with this? As for the baby himself, it doesn't require any space to take him out if he's too small to get out himself. These spaces should be reserved for 4x4s instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

what if I (25 years old) bring my mother to the shops, can I park in them?
    :p
    Are you confirming that you are a child? If so, children aren't allowed post on boards.ie so I'll ask you to be banned.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I usually stay away from parking beside cars with child seats in them, because your door gets a nice dent.

I do find people with kids get a bit precious about the kids - it is not just about the space - one woman was talking to me about needing the space near the door so her baby would be less exposed to the elements for less time. WTF.

What about people with no cars? What did we do years ago - my family never had a car till I got one at 25 - and yet we survived dragging our shopping trolley on wheels to the Supermarket. All kids survived and did not melt in the rain or cold.

While I agree the driver should not have been so rude to your wife, I agree with the posts that she should not have approached them to chastise them later on in the Supermarket. Maybe her tone was a bit smart and that is why they told her to f off? Who knows.

I also agree with Duck that I dont hold the same regard for family spots as disabled spots and there are a lot of people like that.

Let us get one thing absolutely clear here, complaints in relation to taxi/hackney drivers and cars can only be made in relation to our conduct/standards while in operational service. Ergo to say, if a driver is rude/unruly/incompetent to you as a passenger or intending passenger then a complaint is fair enough but if he is not working and is rude/bad driving/picking his nose/singing the Sash or whatever undesirable act it may be, we become members of the general public and we can get on with parking in illegal spaces, much as the rest of the world does.

I agree. But what has developed on this thread is a very uninformed opinion about these particular parking spaces. Two years ago I didn't have a young child and I certainly didn't have a problem with these type of parking spaces either. I fail to understand the mindsey od someone who has an objection to them.

As for the taxi driver in the OPs post, the only question I had concerned the use of the vehicle for personal business. Whats the situation on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Gerry81

budfox wrote: »
    only a few weeks ago I had the same ****e with a Nigerian couple.

firstly I'd like you to explain how you knew they were Nigerian and secondly I'd like you to explain what difference their nationality makes?(or pending your response to my first question you can change nationality to race as I'm quite sure thats what you're implying)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Thanks but I saw perfectly well what you wrote the first time, and answered you within my own return question.

However, since that was seemingly beyond your comprehension, I'll explain in more detail.

What are some of reasons parents with small children get what you call "preferential treatment"?
    • It is very awkward to get small children, prams, shopping in and out of cars in narrow spaces, especially when adjacent vehicles are parked badly (which is nearly all of the time in this country)
    • The proximity to the store makes it a lot safer for the child/children and their parents and reduces the workload of pushing a heavy buggy, shopping etc.
    • If a child is left in the car (if parents want to quickly run into the store and grab something), then parents can in many cases still see inside the car from the store windows.
    Now let's see a list of reasons why you, the person with no kids, should be allowed that spot over them, and they should be forced to turn around and struggle:
    • It gets you to the store 2 minutes faster.
    Ultimately, it all comes down to selfishness. You have NO valid reasons to disparage parents getting these priority spaces. YES, they can "manage" with regular ones, but equally so, YOU can manage walking an extra hundred metres to get to the store. It causes you a lot less inconvenience and stress than it causes them.

You can make all the snide comments you want about my comprehension, but my clearly stated point has just sailed over your head for a 2nd time...:D

Let me paint you a picture,

- FULL car park. No spaces apparent anywhere.
    - 2 cars looking for a spot - (a) with kids, (b) without.
    - 1 free spot that just happens to be marked as a "family" spot.

In normal circumstances, a first-come-first-served principle applies. Whoever happens across a spot first is entitled to it.

In this, very specific situation, are you saying that if car (b) sees the spot, they should have to leave it for car (a) ?

What gives (a) more of a right to stay and shop than car (b) ?

Straightforward enough?

DWCommuter wrote: »
    My god you are an angry little duck.

I'm not the one getting riled up :D
    I didn't take it as a personal attack on my little "cherubs"

Actually, thats exactly what you did! I was asking a question (stated above once again), which neither you or Bluntguy has answered .
    Ive only one anyway. Most of the time the "child/baby and parent spaces" in my local SC are full. There's only 3 of them. I don't complain about it. Its still a fairly new concept. I park elsewhere and struggle with getting the "cherub" out of the car seat. Now thats not an exaggeration in any shape or form. Ive used the word "struggle". Thats why somebody very clever came up with the concept of wider parking bays for people with young children in car seats. Children that cannot get out of their seats (which are a legal requirement) so have to be lifted out. If you can't open the door fully, then its a struggle. Do you understand that Ducky? Have you tried it? Do you have any experience in doing this?

Clever people all over the world come up with all kinds of helpful inventions and concepts to make life a little easier. Double buggies, double seated shopping trollies and now the wonderful baby/parent parking bay. Its intended to improve the experience for parents who decide or have to bring a young car seat dependent child with them. They take up a tiny perecentage of parking spaces in car parks that have a quick rate of turnover and people like you have a problem with it. You really should evaluate your opinions on very trivial matters like this because you have come across with some pretty laughable and pathetic opinions already.

Seeing as how you seem to have missed my early posts, I'll give you the concise version:

- I said I wouldn't normally park in family spots. (in normal circumstances where there are other spots available). I've no problem with walking across a car park.

- Regarding the OP, I think his partner was out-of-line approaching the driver in the shop. As I said if she had a problem she could have complained to the shop staff. It would then be up to the shop whether they want to force the guy to vacate the spot.

- I did say that the guy shouldn't have responded in the way he did, but seeing as the car park was full I don't think it was unreasonable of him to park there in that situation, which leads back to the question you dont appear to want to answer.

Your principles are represented by the comments you have made on this thread.

I assume it's easier to lob insults at me then actually answer a straight question?

Ive addressed the question above and remember if these baby/parent bays are full (they usually are) we manage elsewhere in more difficult circumstances. Just like you we have to search for other spaces and usually find them quick enough which should be the case with you. Unless of course you have no patience and begrudge the "limited" facility provided to parents and young children as a result and that looks the likely scenario.

You haven't actually addressed my question at all. It would be great it you could though...:D

Quack quack.
    Indeed. Well done.

Have some of you here been sterilised at birth or is it just a case that you have a deep rooted dislike of children and all that goes with it?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Could you all take a step back and a deep breath before pressing submit?

Please? Cut with the overdefensiveness and righteousness?

• Advertisement

Duckjob wrote: »
    Let me paint you a picture,

- FULL car park. No spaces apparent anywhere.
    - 2 cars looking for a spot - (a) with kids, (b) without.
    - 1 free spot that just happens to be marked as a "family" spot.

In normal circumstances, a first-come-first-served principle applies. Whoever happens across a spot first is entitled to it.

In this, very specific situation, are you saying that if car (b) sees the spot, they should have to leave it for car (a) ?

What gives (a) more of a right to stay and shop than car (b) ?

Straightforward enough?

You are providing me with great entertainment today. Thanks.

To answer your question......YES.

Car A has more right than car B because the space is designated a family space. Ive already outlined the reasons why these spaces were introduced in an earlier post. Therefore its up to you to be a decent person and respect the designation.

Thats pretty straightforward isn't it?

Have some of you here been sterilised at birth or is it just a case that you have a deep rooted dislike of children and all that goes with it?:rolleyes:

That is the kind of nasty superior attitude I don't like and comes across sometimes when people don't bow and scrape to those with children. Same type of people who put baby on board stickers on their cars as if it is relevant.

OP seems to have a bee in his bonnet about the spaces seeing as he had a row with someone else about it last week.

Just let it go.

Could you all take a step back and a deep breath before pressing submit?

Please? Cut with the overdefensiveness and righteousness?

In all fairness this issue about family parking spaces is definately generating overdefensiveness and IMO rightly so. The righteousness is coming from the side that don't want to respect the valdity of these spaces and begrudge a tiny few spaces in a car park specifically for that purpose. That to me is a bonkers argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Personally, I believe children are the future, that we should teach them well and them lead the way and also show them the beauty they possess inside...

Meanwhile back at the thread...I really don't get all this anti-parent and child car parking space attitude? Why? Have you tried dragging a couple of screaming monsters across a busy shopping centre car park? Remember, it's parent and child...plural.

I'm sure it can be a difficult exercise in shepherding if you're trying to undo a baby-seat and your older todler decides to go walkabout.

What is it with all the me-feinisim here...."uh, parenthood is a choice, disability isn't", are we really that anti-child in this country that I have to point out that these are the tax-payers of tomorrow in order to change your views?

anewme wrote: »
    That is the kind of nasty superior attitude I don't like and comes across sometimes when people don't bow and scrape to those with children. Same type of people who put baby on board stickers on their cars as if it is relevant.

OP seems to have a bee in his bonnet about the spaces seeing as he had a row with someone else about it last week.

Just let it go.

Im not superior but I respectfully ask those without children, not to begrudge facilities that assist those who have.

Baby on board stickers? Thats introducing an off topic chip on the shoulder argument. But for the record they are relevant if they make a driver think before they act stupid in the vicinity of a car carrying a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Baby on board stickers were invented after an incident when the emergency services didn't spot a baby in a crashed / crumpled car.

They aren't warning signs to other drivers.

Victor wrote: »
    Baby on board stickers were invented after an incident when the emergency services didn't spot a baby in a crashed / crumpled car.

I think you will find that is an urban myth. More a marketing company dream.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/babysign.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

You are providing me with great entertainment today. Thanks.

To answer your question......YES.

Car A has more right than car B because the space is designated a family space. Ive already outlined the reasons why these spaces were introduced in an earlier post. Therefore its up to you to be a decent person and respect the designation.

Thats pretty straightforward isn't it?

EXCELLENT!!! That wasn't that hard, was it? :D

I disagree by the way.

As I said before, I generally respect those spots, in that I dont generally park in them if there are other spots available.

If it comes down to a 1 spot, and one car may have to leave, I believe it is reasonable for people to follow the the first come first served principle. I don't believe the kiddy car is more entitled to stay and shop than the other.

Because, in the OPs situation was one where the car park was full, I don't think it particularly unreasonable for the other driver to have parked in the space, and I think the OPs partner was a bit obnoxious to confront him about it in the store.

If that viewpoint makes me a bad person in some parents view, or even a "scummer" as was posted earlier, then I'm ok with that.

Have some of you here been sterilised at birth or is it just a case that you have a deep rooted dislike of children and all that goes with it?

You know it is actually possible to disagree without being offensive. You should try it sometime.

Duckjob wrote: »
    You know it is actually possible to disagree without being offensive. You should try it sometime.

Yes, it was a nasty bitchy comment and totally uncalled for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Don't normally reply to this these sort of threads but have to say i don't agree with these "special" parking spots. I use them and always have if they are available as i do like to park close to the door. If a women i didn't know started to chastise me i would also tell her to mind her own business all be it in with manners, It's just another symptom of todays society making up allowances for groups that don't need them. Your a parent so now you need an extra wide parking spot. Yeah right.

What's next, should we have "Parent and Child" spaces in out apartment block so that those with children can get from there car to their doors sooner . A car parking space is a standard 2.5 meters wide, if you cannot park in a 2.5m spot and get your door open, childs door then maybe you should check your parking.

Before i'm called an uncaring sterile this and that, i would like to state that I in fact do have a 7 month old child. I have both a small hatchback and a large jeep and i can find that i can use normal parking spots without issue. Infact do i expect those who choose "not" to have childen at this time to park further away or in a worse spot because of my choices. NO.

As others have said and i agree. It's a lifestyle choice and others shouldn't be displaced/disadvantages due to my lifestyle choices. It's in a supermarkets intrest to make you feel like your special as you will spend more than a person without children but that does not mean the entire world should make allowances for you or myself as a parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gnxx

Victor wrote: »

Not only is this a myth but also insulting to the emergency services. Crash scenes are always searched professionally regardless of stickers indicating the possible passengers.

I agree. But what has developed on this thread is a very uninformed opinion about these particular parking spaces. Two years ago I didn't have a young child and I certainly didn't have a problem with these type of parking spaces either. I fail to understand the mindsey od someone who has an objection to them.

I'd agree with you, good man. As I see it, they are there to make life easier for potential shoppers with kids in supermarkets and while they have no legal holding, common sense says they are a good idea and are warranted. As is often the case on Boards.ie, we do see begrudgers who will be anti everything:rolleyes:
    As for the taxi driver in the OPs post, the only question I had concerned the use of the vehicle for personal business. Whats the situation on that?

Situation is that you are allowed to privately use and drive any roadworthy vehicle on the roads subject to the laws of the land being upheld; in other words follow traffic law and have it taxed and insured. The same situation here applies to vans etc as they do to taxi's off duty with the one exception being the ability for a taxi to use bus lanes. In the strict sense of the law, a taxi can only use them in the course of duties but I consider it a very minor perk of the job that I can :)

I'd agree with you, good man. As I see it, they are there to make life easier for potential shoppers with kids in supermarkets and while they have no legal holding, common sense says they are a good idea and are warranted. As is often the case on Boards.ie, we do see begrudgers who will be anti everything:rolleyes:

What about people who have children but who have no car. How do people manage to shop with kids in a Supermarket without a car? Maybe they carry the bags home.

What about people who have children but who have no car. How do people manage to shop with kids in a Supermarket without a car? Maybe they carry the bags home.

Plenty of wheelchair bound people who use supermarkets don't have cars; shall we remove the wheelchair spaces as well?:rolleyes:

Plenty of wheelchair bound people who use supermarkets don't have cars; shall we remove the wheelchair spaces as well?:rolleyes:

The point is people who are disabled are suffering from a medical condition that physically makes mobility more difficult for them.

People with a child have no medical conditions and are well able to walk a couple of hundred metres to their car same as everyone else.

Just why do you think disabled parking spaces are law and the other ones are not.?

The fact of the matter is that we are all entitled to our opinions - just because peoples opinions differ does not make them a begrudger - it means they dont see the need for these spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

3DataModem wrote: »
    I have a twodoor car and twin babies so getting them in and out anywhere is tricky. Doing it in a normal car space is very very tricky.

lol, not exactly making life easy for yourself are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

What is it with all the me-feinisim here...."uh, parenthood is a choice, disability isn't", are we really that anti-child in this country that I have to point out that these are the tax-payers of tomorrow in order to change your views?

If only......
    In the post NAMA world these childer will most likely be paying THEIR taxes to a German,French or Dutch State than the one into which they were born.

One possibly useful suggestion is to CHARGE for all of this Extra-Wide Kiddy Friendly space by installing a Coin Op Barrier and have ones €2 returned upon providing proof of your with-childness at the customer service desk.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Without being anti-parents and kids...

As someone who isnt great with screaming babies/toddlers in a queue,I do feel like there is a gap in the market for a supermarket that bars children under the age of 12

I would shop there, and i venture to say that a number of others on this forum (including parents, minus the little one) also would.

The point is people who are disabled are suffering from a medical condition that physically makes mobility more difficult for them.

People with a child have no medical conditions and are well able to walk a couple of hundred metres to their car same as everyone else.

Just why do you think disabled parking spaces are law and the other ones are not.?

The fact of the matter is that we are all entitled to our opinions - just because peoples opinions differ does not make them a begrudger - it means they dont see the need for these spaces.

No, your point concerned those without car who shop with kids and infers that those that do bring the kids in the car are somehow more valued than those who don't. If they can be afforded a little leeway in getting to and from the shop door to do their shopping then all the better for them regardless of if it's legally required or not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

both driver and passanger from the taxi have committed offences under the public order act by using threatening or abusive language and should be charged/fined for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Folks...

Looking for any opinions or advice.

My partner was up at Tesco Artane Castle yesterday evening at tea time with our baby. The car park was completely jammers. She headed towards the parents parking area and ahead of her, a taxi pulled into the last free space. Eventually she got a space. She went up to get her trolley. In the meantime she observed a couple get out of the taxi who parked in the kids parking space but they didnt' have any children with them. She saw them again in Tesco's as they were walking in and said to them that they should not have parked in that space owing to the fact that it was specifically for parents with children. (I wouldn't have noticed myself up until recently until she said it to me but the spaces are actually bigger and it does make a difference when your trying to get the buggy and shopping into the car...!)

She was met with the most tirade of abusive language. To quote, the man said to her "Fu(k you and Fu(k your baby, I couldn't give a sh!te". The woman told her to mind her own "Fu(king business and Fu(k off". People stopped to see what the commotion was about. (My view: she was dead right to say it to them. It isn't the first time it has happened up there, only a few weeks ago I had the same ****e with a Nigerian couple. The security guards are too wimpy to do anything about it.)

I wasn't there at the time but she called me from her mobile and both her any my little fella were extremely upset. Actually, she was really shocked. I told her to say it to security but she wouldn't. Unfortunately, I was unable to make my way there as I would have decked the prick but I asked her to get his reg number which she did.

Now, I am not unreasonable, but it takes some kind of wimp to treat a woman with a child like that. You'd also ask yourself, is he the type of scumbag who should be driving a taxi?

My opinion is that if he had a roof sign on his car then he is a taxi whether his light is on or not and he comes under the regulator guidelines for appropriate conduct.

Either way, I am making a formal complaint on Monday for what I consider to be verbal assault and I will be making an objection against the renewal of his taxi licence but I'm interested in anyone's advice.

Many thanks,

BF

This is the typical reaction of someone who is in the wrong and knows he is in the wrong. He has no way of reacting other than to curse and swear. Such people are beneath contempt and should just be left to live in their own little world. He is certainly not worth worrying about or being the centre of sensible discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

However did parents manage to get kids in and out the car ten years ago, when these ridiculous spaces didn't exist?

How many threads have there been in motors with people whinging about kids in cars and havign their doors dinged. Now supermarkets are keeping these cars away form other poeple and you still whinge?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭poolsupporter

i just want to say to everyone here complaining about having these specific spots. let me lput it like this top you all. i dont have children however i am a driver and i, more than once have had children run out in front of me in a car park because the parent is putting the shopping in the car or they have to try hold the trolly, or whatever other variable you would like to use. the bottom line is that these spots are for safety. now matter what you think of these spots if you dont wnt your kid under a car or your car to go over a kid then please understand and honour these spots. you might just thank the starter of this thread someday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

If it was you it happened to, no problem. But since it was your partner, I'd say don't. She might be up there next week and this scumbag will see her and remember the complaint against him.

These type of people are real tough when its a woman and child alone and nobody gives a damn about anyone any more. I wouldnt be surprised if 500 people walked by and turned the head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i just want to say to everyone here complaining about having these specific spots. let me lput it like this top you all. i dont have children however i am a driver and i, more than once have had children run out in front of me in a car park because the parent is putting the shopping in the car or they have to try hold the trolly, or whatever other variable you would like to use. the bottom line is that these spots are for safety. now matter what you think of these spots if you dont wnt your kid under a car or your car to go over a kid then please understand and honour these spots. you might just thank the starter of this thread someday!!

well said..the intolerance of some on here is amazing...

LeBash wrote: »
    If it was you it happened to, no problem. But since it was your partner, I'd say don't. She might be up there next week and this scumbag will see her and remember the complaint against him.

These type of people are real tough when its a woman and child alone and nobody gives a damn about anyone any more. I wouldnt be surprised if 500 people walked by and turned the head.
    here, here, il second that!

No, your point concerned those without car who shop with kids and infers that those that do bring the kids in the car are somehow more valued than those who don't. If they can be afforded a little leeway in getting to and from the shop door to do their shopping then all the better for them regardless of if it's legally required or not :)

I am not saying anyone is more valued than anyone else and I dont see how you can see that was inferred anywhere What I am saying plenty of people with families who dont have a car and have to walk or bus it to the shops with their children and come back either by foot or public transport and can physically do it, so I dont see the need for "leeway" for people with cars to to get themselves across a car park? In most cases you are talking about a couple of hundred yards.

Are there special spaces for elderly people, who although not disabled with a permit, might not be light on their feet and might prefer to park nearer the door too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Some gas arguments against these child friendly parking spaces in this thread and some seriously angry grown up children who must have been beaten to the shops by their parents on bikes and skateboards and never got the use of these glorious inventions (BY THE STORES WHO INSTALLED THEM, not by parents requesting them :rolleyes:).
    However they are about as important to parents with young children that use them as QBC's are to Buses and Taxi's yet still other muppet road users delight in using them ad hoc because "they can" and it gets them past all the traffic that they couldn't be bothered waiting for, just like the child friendly spaces in these supermarket car parks. You drive into a car park and the only space available is a restricted space then you wait, patience is virtue learned unfortunately you are not automatically born with it. :pac:

I'm all for them and have no problem waiting for a space for the few minutes that may take. As for the OP, the tirade of abuse was uncalled for (be he/she a taxi driver or Duckjob :D) but again she may have been well advised to say nothing as she was going to suffer that sort of retort due to the drivers apparent comprehension that the space was as much for him as it was for anybody.

The fact that they are nearer the door might actually mean that there is more traffic passing the door of the Supermarket (sometimes going too fast) either in or out, so they have just as much if not more chance of being hit if a child does happen to dart out. That does not really make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

WHAT! FOR SAFETY REASONS! GET REAL FFS!

They are a marketing ploy, pure and simple, installed by supermarkets to try and get more families into the shop. "every little helps!" etc.

As i said already they didnt exist 20 years ago and shock horror! PEOPLE MANAGED JUST FINE!!

• Advertisement

Folks...

Looking for any opinions or advice.

My partner was up at Tesco Artane Castle yesterday evening at tea time with our baby. The car park was completely jammers. She headed towards the parents parking area and ahead of her, a taxi pulled into the last free space. Eventually she got a space. She went up to get her trolley. In the meantime she observed a couple get out of the taxi who parked in the kids parking space but they didnt' have any children with them. She saw them again in Tesco's as they were walking in and said to them that they should not have parked in that space owing to the fact that it was specifically for parents with children. (I wouldn't have noticed myself up until recently until she said it to me but the spaces are actually bigger and it does make a difference when your trying to get the buggy and shopping into the car...!)

She was met with the most tirade of abusive language. To quote, the man said to her "Fu(k you and Fu(k your baby, I couldn't give a sh!te". The woman told her to mind her own "Fu(king business and Fu(k off". People stopped to see what the commotion was about. (My view: she was dead right to say it to them. It isn't the first time it has happened up there, only a few weeks ago I had the same ****e with a Nigerian couple. The security guards are too wimpy to do anything about it.)

I wasn't there at the time but she called me from her mobile and both her any my little fella were extremely upset. Actually, she was really shocked. I told her to say it to security but she wouldn't. Unfortunately, I was unable to make my way there as I would have decked the prick but I asked her to get his reg number which she did.

Now, I am not unreasonable, but it takes some kind of wimp to treat a woman with a child like that. You'd also ask yourself, is he the type of scumbag who should be driving a taxi?

My opinion is that if he had a roof sign on his car then he is a taxi whether his light is on or not and he comes under the regulator guidelines for appropriate conduct.

Either way, I am making a formal complaint on Monday for what I consider to be verbal assault and I will be making an objection against the renewal of his taxi licence but I'm interested in anyone's advice.

Many thanks,

BF
    hi, just to let you know. i have worked in security for years and the safety and security of the mentioned centre and all those who frequent it are the responsibility of security staff. trust me, there is legal backing for your partner here if she thinks security did not act to secure her well being while on that particular premises. also, these spots are for the safety of children so security have themselves in knots here. personally, it would be a long and drawn out case which would hardly be worth it in the end. but on the other hand its by not acting accordingly to these incidents that perpetuate the problem and allow it to continue. just another thing, i would also suggest she shops elsewhere where she would have a more pleasurable experience. northside, charlestown, clearwater-finglas, clarehall are all not a million miles away and from my own experience never had such problems especially charelstown and clearwater finglas.

The fact that they are nearer the door might actually mean that there is more traffic passing the door of the Supermarket (sometimes going too fast) either in or out, so they have just as much if not more chance of being hit if a child does happen to dart out. That does not really make sense.
    how do you make that out? when the entrance doors are the furthest part of the centre to the entrance of the car park in most cases? either way im not on here to complain nor am i here to question peoples logic so the same courtesy would be appreciated... stick to the point and think about why they are closer to the doors rather than the entrance to the car park...

trust me, there is legal backing for your partner here if she thinks security did not act to secure her well being while on that particular premises. also, these spots are for the safety of children so security have themselves in knots here. personally, it would be a long and drawn out case which would hardly be worth it in the end.

Yeah, sue the supermarket because she had a go at someone who turned out to be a right crank!

We dont know how the OP\s partner approached the couple or what was said. She could have totally rubbed them up the wrong way and they in turn told her to f....off. While there is no need for abusive or threatening language, even to consider sueing the Supermarket shows the very worst element of compo culture that has become evident in our Society.

how do you make that out? when the entrance doors are the furthest part of the centre to the entrance of the car park in most cases? either way im not on here to complain nor am i here to question peoples logic so the same courtesy would be appreciated... stick to the point and think about why they are closer to the doors rather than the entrance to the car park...

Where they are in my local centre is near the doors of the centre, but behind the main road past the centre, so not very good from a saftey point of view if a child were to run out. Parents would be better parking the other end of the car park, which is usually empty and walking across if they were concerned about kids running out.

The safety argument is baloney....I agree with the person who claimed it as clever marketing by the Supermarkets.

Yeah, sue the supermarket because she had a go at someone who turned out to be a right crank!

We dont know how the OP\s partner approached the couple or what was said. She could have totally rubbed them up the wrong way and they in turn told her to f....off. While there is no need for abusive or threatening language, even to consider sueing the Supermarket shows the very worst element of compo culture that has become evident in our Society.
    i never said sue the market!!! a formal complaint will do fine, just something to let them know that the customer is not happy. after all these places dont survive without customers. and another thing, i get the feeling you are just on here to whinge? theres plent of other threads for that. the original thread starter wanted opinions and advice on what to do, not advice and opinions on what not to do!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement