Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ignorant, personal unpoliced forums!

Options
  • 17-01-2010 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

I just want to know why are people getting away with creating personal threads about certain people which is leading to ignorant and disgusting comments from a variety of users. I want to report abuseful comments but I'd need to report the whole thread. The thread tonight about Ray D'arcy, Geri and Jenny was so inappropriate. It should be deleted before boards gets sued for slander! How it was allowed to continue for so long without any mods intervening is beyond me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,308 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Have you reported any posts from the thread? Have you PMd any of the mods of the forum in question? These should be the first steps you take rather than starting a thread in Help Desk without actually including a link to the thread you have a problem with. I'd request that you do one or both of these things, and if needs be it will be escalated upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Amazing as many of the boards mods are, they don't get paid for doing any of the things they do here and don't (can't obviously:)) patrol their board 24 hours a day. That's why community members reporting posts can be such a great help. Especially with idiotic threads like the one you've mentioned.

The best way of reporting a post (or thread) like that and letting the moderators know about it is to click the little warning triangle down on the bottom left of the post (you can see one on this post for example, down there on the left). This is always what people mean when they mention "reporting" a post. That way all the moderators get it at once. It's the best way of notifying them as if you just send a PM to one, it might be the one mod who isn't online for another day or two. I'd recommend doing that instead next time you see something that needs to be dealt with.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I just want to know why are people getting away with creating personal threads about certain people which is leading to ignorant and disgusting comments from a variety of users. I want to report abuseful comments but I'd need to report the whole thread. The thread tonight about Ray D'arcy, Geri and Jenny was so inappropriate. It should be deleted before boards gets sued for slander! How it was allowed to continue for so long without any mods intervening is beyond me!

Believe it or not, no one reported the posts in that thread.

As soon as I saw the thread, and admittedly it was pages long before I came online, I quoted some of the dire posts and some of those who were well within their rights to object to it.

I left it closed for a short while and then deleted it.

Please do use the report button if you have an objection to a post or posts.

It brings it to the attention of the mods right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Sorry I was a bit mad last night and because I was accessing boards on my phone, for whatever reason I couldn't report certain comments. However, I think there should be a better way of stopping threads like this before they get how of hand. If someone started a thread like that about me, I would be very upsetand might be willing to do something about it. It was too personal and it gives boards a bad name. I'm not sure how the mods go about their work but surely there should be some kind of set up that ensures there is always at least one mod checking over a forum at any one time. Just my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,308 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If we paid mods, then yes, we could ensure that there was a rota giving us 24/7 coverage. However, as has already been said, mods are volunteers, and it's unrealistic to expect them to be around all the time. By reporting a post at least if there isn't a mod of a particular forum around, it may come to the attention of a CMod or admin, who can then take appropriate action. Boards is so big that you can't be sure that everything will be seen by a mod, so we do rely on reported posts to bring stuff like this to our attention. It is unfortunate that you had technical issues that prevented you from reporting posts last night, but we do appreciate the effort.

• Advertisement
Advertisement