Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much will dashlight drop sale price of my car?

• 17-01-2010 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

I'm going to be selling a 01 Megane, as I'm leaving the country in the next month or so. Since I got it serviced, (Last Oct) there has been ABS and SERV lights on. At first the mechanic told me they'd go out on their own, but when they didn't I brought it back, and he hooked it up to the computer, and told me there was a brake sensor gone. He said he couldn't get it from his regular supplier, he'd have to get it through renault, and that it'd be 140.

My question is, is it worth my time getting it fixed? Will the mechanic charge me labour on top of the part?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Either get it repaired or adjust the selling price to reflect the cost of getting it repaired.

Be aware though that having dashboard warning lights lighting up on a car your trying to sell can scare alot of potential buyers away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Briantheplumber

wouldnt be able to give an 01 megane away mate, their a piece of pooh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Briantheplumber

:D:D:D:D:D:D:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

wouldnt be able to give an 01 megane away mate, their a piece of pooh
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:P:P:P:P

You're adding less and less to the thread as you go (seriously - that's just a row of smiley faces); please don't post in this thread again unless you've something a bit more useful to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Scrap yard is the place to get things like that, Will coost a huge amount less than buying new.

If you cant find it here, ebay is your friend. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Megane-1999-Wheel-nut-also-breaking-spares_W0QQitemZ180456576269QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2a040cd50d

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Honestly, I'd get it sorted before selling the car.
    Personally, if I went to look at a car and a warning light came on, no matter how minor, I'd say thank you very much and leave, so you'll find it harder to shift in what is a buyers market.

It'll probably be worth your while, as if I was to consider buying a car with a warning light on, I'd be looking for at least 25-30% off the price (depending on the car and the price of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Another vote for getting it sorted. You are really litingbyour market by not doing so.
    Thunk of it ths way, would you yourself buy a car with a brake warning light showing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm going to be selling a 01 Megane, as I'm leaving the country in the next month or so. Since I got it serviced, (Last Oct) there has been ABS and SERV lights on. At first the mechanic told me they'd go out on their own, but when they didn't I brought it back, and he hooked it up to the computer, and told me there was a brake sensor gone. He said he couldn't get it from his regular supplier, he'd have to get it through renault, and that it'd be 140.

My question is, is it worth my time getting it fixed? Will the mechanic charge me labour on top of the part?

i think it will drop the value of the car to 0 euro to be honest!
    most people will come look at the car, see the dash lights and walk away!

i personally think you will have to sort the problem before the possibility of a sale happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

For me, if there is a abs or airbag light on, then no deal.

I actually didn't buy one car specially for that reason, the airbag light was on all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd walk away. Sure your mechanic says it just a brake sensor but at the end of the day - I don't trust you enough.
    Get it fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭dingding

If I saw the lights on it would tell me the car was badly maintained and I would run a mile.

Advertisement