Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

loading games onto hard drive

• 17-01-2010 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Just got an xbox so im very new to the gaming scene.

Can anyone tell me whats the advantages of saving a game onto the hard drive.

SOrry if this has been asked b4

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's usually quieter as the disc isn't spinning all the time, extending the life of your disc drive (and your console) as it's not working all the time. You will still need the disc in the drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

And reduced loading times in most games and in some cases it fixes small glitches/bugs in some games.
    It fixed the random loading in oblivion for me and in mass effect it helped the framerate drops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

cheers guys ill install my games on so cause im browned off with the noise of it, its like a 747 landing in my room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Only game not to install that I am aware of is Halo 3. It can actually have a negative effect on the loading. On the opposite end of the scale, the game that apparently is most improved is The Orange Box. Read this on Digital Foundry over at Eurogamer. Calling it a night now, if anyone has trouble finding it, I'll look for it in the morning.

Edit: Its old, you'll have to search rather than go page by page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Only game not to install that I am aware of is Halo 3. It can actually have a negative effect on the loading. On the opposite end of the scale, the game that apparently is most improved is The Orange Box. Read this on Digital Foundry over at Eurogamer. Calling it a night now, if anyone has trouble finding it, I'll look for it in the morning.

Edit: Its old, you'll have to search rather than go page by page.

Crackdown point blank won't allow you to install... Tis a pain in the bum, it ended up putting me off playing through it again:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

hmmm, im playing though mass effect at the mo and the framerate is a bit rubbish at times, would it really make a difference??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

LanceStorm wrote: »
    hmmm, im playing though mass effect at the mo and the framerate is a bit rubbish at times, would it really make a difference??

Yeah and it helps with the texture popup in the cut scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I play a lot of Left 4 Dead 2. I'm still on a 20GB HD so the 4.4GB install size isn't a problem and the noise reduction is well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

LanceStorm wrote: »

Definitely helps Mass Effect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

If you install PGR4 it messes up the audio.. or at least did a few months back..

I rarely play a game now that isnt installed, the noise difference alone is worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

tman wrote: »
    Crackdown point blank won't allow you to install... Tis a pain in the bum, it ended up putting me off playing through it again:(

Hey Tman, Majornelson posted a while ago that there was a title update once applied it would let you install Crackdown to the hard drive.

Yep here's the link

http://xbox.joystiq.com/2009/11/09/crackdown-hdd-installation-now-available/

Advertisement