Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thaw & Flooding in the South East.

• 17-01-2010 1:33am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Flood damage today:

Island bridge, near Craanford, Gorey, Co Wexford.

The areas either side of the road are flooded fields. The water has eroded pot holes in the road as it crossed it.

097k.jpg

The river would normally be contained within the trees in the foreground.

096k.jpg

This lane near Ballymorris, Aughrim is best driven by tractor or 4x4 now.
    It has been washed out in three different spots. On the plus side, the boggy area to the left of the lane now has its own gravel path.

101fy.jpg

This is the area just ahead of the trees in the foreground above.

103qb.jpg

And further ahead......

lanec.jpg

The water appears to have cut under the skin of tar and chip and floated broken pieces of it off onto the grass to the right and then washed away the stone that was exposed.

lane2g.jpg

Elsewhere in the area roads are in a bad state too. Cracks in the tar coat have allowed clay to be pushed up through them as the weight bearing areas have slumped with the 'road matter' humped up in the middle.

If these are repaired and we then get a second round of snow..........................:confused:

Although I'd say it will be a while before any significant repairs are done.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The Woodenbridge golf course had an enlarged water hazard area today.

105bcn.jpg

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The deep frost has has really messed things up and broken up the tarmac.
    Where the finance is going to come from to do effective repairs that'll last, I don't know.

Thanks for puting up these photos. While its an extreme example, it gives an idea of the scale of the issue which i assume is mostly couuntry wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spectacular damage, and which will not be repaired for months probably.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Anyone regularly travelling the Woodenbridge to Aughrim road will be highly delighted if I actually saw what I thought I saw.

Shortly after where the road drops down to meet the river on the Woodenbridge side it looks like the road has slumped on the river side again....as it has already did further along- and been repaired- how long were the 'temporary traffic lights' there? Was it three years!:eek:

I hope I'm wrong....waiting for traffic that never comes is frustrating when you can see the way ahead is clear.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Amazing photos! I've noticed that places where there was already patches have been worst affected by the frost. Couple of bad ones have re-opened around Maynooth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The backroad from Ballycoog to Woodenbrige had cones across it sort-of blocking access at either end. I drove along it, slowly, and theres some serious pot holes and places where the road has gone all putty like. Its like the tarmac had melted before a heavy tractor had driven it. Could be a while before those roads are sorted.

Advertisement