Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sako Optilock Mounts

Options
  • 17-01-2010 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know whether the bases come in different diameters? Trying to fit them to my Sako tonight, on the tapered rail, and the rear mount with the index pin won't tighten on the dovetail. There are several millimetres of play involved. Have e-mailed the seller to see whether there's been a mistake which led to a mis-matched set of mounts being sent, but looking for information in the meantime.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Didn't use them on my Sako, but incase you haven't tried it yet here is the Sako download for specs on their own rings and bases. http://www.sako.fi/optilockproducts.php?basesrings
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Looking at them further, the front mount is okay, while the back is straight, as though it's designed for use with a rail, rather than the tapered dovetail on the Sako receiver. May try sort this for tomorrow, as I still want to do some shooting. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

If I remember rightly the rear base is not straight it's tapered (underneath)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

go get the warne ,no one uses sako mounts ,that knows ant thing.

It looks like it's a Tikka base, but the error is getting corrected promptly. Will have to wait until next weekend to do my zeroing and testing however, and spot on, bunny. I got one of the straight Tikka bases by mistake. Simple clerical error.

jw, I would, but I am flat broke now. Nice rifles clean out scabby students!

• Advertisement

It looks like it's a Tikka base, but the error is getting corrected promptly. Will have to wait until next weekend to do my zeroing and testing however, and spot on, bunny. I got one of the straight Tikka bases by mistake. Simple clerical error.

jw, I would, but I am flat broke now. Nice rifles clean out scabby students!

what scope do you have ,i might have a set of warne to suite you.

jwshooter wrote: »
    what scope do you have ,i might have a set of warne to suite you.

Schmidt and Bender Varmint 4-16x50, 30mm tube. The other base will be in the post tomorrow morning, so should be up and running next weekend.

Nice scope my brother has one of those

Nice scope my brother has one of those

I got it second-hand, with not so much as a mark, for £750. Saw it on sale recently for just under £2100. :D It'll be a long, long time before I can afford a scope like that again. Hell, I couldn't really afford the £750. :p

:eek: You did well ;)

• Advertisement

:eek: You did well ;)

No argument here! :D

I got it second-hand, with not so much as a mark, for £750. Saw it on sale recently for just under £2100. :D It'll be a long, long time before I can afford a scope like that again. Hell, I couldn't really afford the £750. :p

it will be a long long time before you have that kit wore out.

it will be a long long time before you have that kit wore out.

I'm a big believer in buying quality and only crying once to match. It's stinging at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

Second what you said about buying quality iwm, i used millet mounts on my sako 75 they werent great, im using warne mounts on my Sauer Outback at the minute, they are brilliant, highly recommend them.

DR6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

IWM this is what I did with the rear mount, you must be brave now :eek:

I have the correct tappered mounts for the Sako but with the rear mount when I put it on there is a small amount of play and to my thinking when the mount screws were tightened up it would pull the mount off to the right just a little, a knats cock amount.

So I hammered out the recoil pin and put it back on the tappered dovetail. It went forward about 5mm and NO sideways movement AT ALL.

Now here comes the fun.

I gently tapped the mount forward to tighten it up and got a 4mm drill, the same size as the recoil pin hole and drilled into the the top of the rear dovetail just a bit - through the recoil pin hole. Then I removed the mount and drilled a 5mm hole in the dovetail but not all the way through to open it out to 5mm.
    I then tapped a thread in the recoil pin hole with a 5mm tap and fitted a small 5mm screw in it.

I put the mount back on and gently tapped it up and then did up the 5mm screw into the new 5mm hole in the rear dovetail and then did up the rear mount screws to keep the mount on the the rear dovetail as usual.

Tight as a ducks ar*e now and keeps zreo, well very nearly, when removing the scope and mounts as one unit.

Thanks for the tip, clive, I'll see how I get on when the right mount arrives. I'll modify it that way if necessary.

Thanks for the tip, clive, I'll see how I get on when the right mount arrives. I'll modify it that way if necessary.

10 minutes to get done.

I have all the bits here if you want to come over sometime to get it sorted.

clivej wrote: »
    10 minutes to get done.

I have all the bits here if you want to come over sometime to get it sorted.

Thanks clive. I'll have a root through the toolbox here when the time comes, but I'll bear the offer in mind if I don't have the necessary ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

:confused:whats wrong with the sako mounts:confused:

• Advertisement

:confused:whats wrong with the sako mounts:confused:

At €200 for a set of Sako mounts and rings they would want to be good.

I was told by the gunsmith not to use the Warne mounts on the Sako 75 when I bought it from him.

And remember to put a bit of screw locking goo on the set screw that holds the ring to the mount. I use a bit of the wifes nail varnish on the threads to stop it loosening up any.

Advertisement