Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Football

Options
  • 17-01-2010 3:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

I'm one of 10-12 regular posters on the forum, and tbqh, no thanks to the mods we have a great forum. But there are trolls everywhere. Now the fact is, it's a big night in the American Football calendar, and I don't see one mod stepping in.

Why? simple Question, why?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Why? I'd hazard a guess it's because it's almost 2.20am on Sunday morning. Mods aren't robots and aren't on boards 24/7. They're volunteers and we greatly appreciate the work they do here, but they also have lives to lead outside of this site and we can't blame them for that. If you have a problem with any particular posts, please report them and they will be looked at asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think what he might be getting at is that maybe they would have the interest to be online on one of the biggest nights of the season?

it is the catagory they accepted to be a mod of and as such it would be better i guess if some one was around when there is a likelyhood of heavier traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Zaph wrote: »
    Why? I'd hazard a guess it's because it's almost 2.20am on Sunday morning. Mods aren't robots and aren't on boards 24/7. They're volunteers and we greatly appreciate the work they do here, but they also have lives to lead outside of this site and we can't blame them for that. If you have a problem with any particular posts, please report them and they will be looked at asap.

But we brought this up a few months ago - not one AF regular was made a mod. Gimme a break, it's the 3rd biggest night of the season - no need for robots, just a glancing interest in the game.

Having said that, i appreciate you stepping in and saying something.

Well I suppose it is possible they're watching the game elsewhere and don't have access to here right now. Maybe you should discuss it with them next time they're around?

Well I suppose it is possible they're watching the game elsewhere and don't have access to here right now. Maybe you should discuss it with them next time they're around?

Well in fairness, they're not gonna decide to make eagle eye or Tallaghtoutlaws a mod in their place. The fact remains, if we don't have a mod on the 3rd most important important night of the Sport's season, then there's a problem.

Would you agree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I've been a regular in the AF for over a month or so now, and I have noticed this in the past. It's quite an easy forum to mod, the banter is good and the most, especially the regulars, know their place, and the mods have done a good job keeping the place cool. However, its not hard to ask for a mod to be online during nights like these, such as soccer mods are expected to be on after say Liverpool or Man Utd play a game. The time of the games will always be an issue, of course, but that's what you get with AF. If the regs can keep debating til this time, then surely a mod can keep an eye on it too. Perhaps another mod should be added, one who is on at this time each game week?

I'll have a word with the Sports CMods and get them to have a look at the situation for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,457 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In fairness neither of the two mods that have been there for a while are on the forum much. The only one that seems to be there pretty regularly is Blue_Lagoon but not usually when there are games on. The other two are rarely on, and not at all when live games are on it seems.

eagle eye wrote: »
    In fairness neither of the two mods that have been there for a while are on the forum much. The only one that seems to be there pretty regularly is Blue_Lagoon but not usually when there are games on. The other two are rarely on, and not at all when live games are on it seems.
    Note that sparks and uberwolf aren't mods of the AF, they're Category Mods of the whole Sport section and their names are included in every Sport forum. Blue Lagoon and Neil3030 are the sole AF mods at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,457 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was referring to Neil and LuckyLloyd. I didn't realise that LL was no longer a mod.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I was referring to Neil and LuckyLloyd. I didn't realise that LL was no longer a mod.

I didn't either - that in itself is a joke. there's few people check this forum more than I do, yet somehow I missed the announcement. my team is playing tonight, so I'll step away for a bit, but I will be back tommorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

think getting one of the regular posters to be a mod is a good idea

if nobody is happy to do it, i wouldnt mind, im online late alot, cause im up watching the football but i wouldnt be a huge contributer to the forum so it would be best to try get a regular first if that is the decision that will be taken

I've a 2 month old son, so forget it. But i'd nominate tallaghtoutlaws and/or eagle eye for the job (and that's like a Man u fan picking a liverpool fan :D), these guys know the game inside out, have an interest in every thread, and are on here more than enough to make me happy. I'd also absolutely lend my full support to Kryogen too.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Didn't realise noone was on tonight. Digging into it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You can't blame the mods in fairness.

The same thing happened in the Pro Wrestling forum two weeks ago. Bret Hart was making his comeback to the WWE and also Hulk Hogan was making his debut with TNA which had the PW forum on fire that night, and of course the trolls were out in force as well.

All we could do was report the offending posts and try and ignore the trolls. None of us could or should expect any of the assigned moderators to stay up until 4am to keep an eye on things because a select few decide to act like children. People do still have jobs to go to in the mornings.

To be fair to the PW mods the threads were cleaned up and the offenders dealt with as soon as they were back online.

Whats the solution? More moderators?

Sounds good but i couldn't guarantee i'll be up until 4am everytime the wrestling is live on tv and i don't think anyone could. It might not seem that way if you look at the time i posted this:p but i'm just in from work

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Don't forget that it's always a help if troublesome posts are reported.:)

There have been two reported posts all night from the forum (yes davyjones, I realise one of those came from you, cheers for that, though the other, well you know about that one too), if there are actually trolls everywhere then there would be less if forum members reported the posts. It would at least be more likely that a floating cmod or admin would see that there was extra attention needed if that happened. Hello.

And yes, obviously that doesn't solve a possible larger issue except in the short term but it would result in trolls being smitten (and not in that sexy way either). Constant community vigilance and all that - it all helps. That's vigilance without vigilantism by the way. But reported posts are always welcome where they deserve reporting. It makes everything much easier when posts that should be reported are reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why? I'd hazard a guess it's because it's almost 2.20am on Sunday morning.
    No, When you wrote that post, it was 9:20 on a Saturday night. The key word in this case is American Football; an American sport played in an American timezone.

Thats the fundamental problem though, isnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Don't see a need for any mod changes with AF forum myself. Maybe if users used the report button instead of getting involved and fueling situations the forum would run better.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

davyjose wrote: »
    But we brought this up a few months ago - not one AF regular was made a mod. Gimme a break, it's the 3rd biggest night of the season - no need for robots, just a glancing interest in the game.

Having said that, i appreciate you stepping in and saying something.

Mods don't get paid, they are entitled to a life, if for whatever reason a mod couldn't be active on the forum then there's nothing that can be done.

Did you report posts? [EDIT] I see you reported one

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

See thats the difference we do expect mods to be on at 2am. Every single AF game is on late so we need a mod who stays up late to watch the games a reasonable amount of the time.

Also its a highly competitive sport which results in highly competitive fans so we do need active moderation especially during play off times. Imagine no moderation in soccer for the champions league final or FA cup final.

Cabaal its irrelevant that the mods don't get paid, Mods are needed for the section, there is several regs who would be happy to do it and would have full backing from our little corner of the community ( tallaght and eagle to name two).

The mods don't get paid argument really annoys me.
    super-rush wrote: »
    You can't blame the mods in fairness.

The same thing happened in the Pro Wrestling forum two weeks ago. Bret Hart was making his comeback to the WWE and also Hulk Hogan was making his debut with TNA which had the PW forum on fire that night, and of course the trolls were out in force as well.

All we could do was report the offending posts and try and ignore the trolls. None of us could or should expect any of the assigned moderators to stay up until 4am to keep an eye on things because a select few decide to act like children. People do still have jobs to go to in the mornings.

To be fair to the PW mods the threads were cleaned up and the offenders dealt with as soon as they were back online.

Whats the solution? More moderators?

Sounds good but i couldn't guarantee i'll be up until 4am everytime the wrestling is live on tv and i don't think anyone could. It might not seem that way if you look at the time i posted this:p but i'm just in from work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Why is it always the initial reaction from certain quarters on here to go on the defensive and proclaim that everything is fine?

"Ohnoeverythingisfinewecouldn'tdothatitstwooclockinthemorningmodsdon'tgetpaidyouknowitsyourfaultfornotreportingthepostsanyway"

A few more open minds wouldn't go amiss, in response to this or any other suggestions people might have.

Why is it always the initial reaction from certain quarters on here to go on the defensive and proclaim that everything is fine?

"Ohnoeverythingisfinewecouldn'tdothatitstwooclockinthemorningmodsdon'tgetpaidyouknowitsyourfaultfornotreportingthepostsanyway"

A few more open minds wouldn't go amiss, in response to this or any other suggestions people might have.

I'm assuming that's aimed at me, and at no point did I say that everything was fine. There are any number of reasons why the mods may not have been able to be here last night, I don't know what they are so I would never make a sweeping statement that they should be here just because there's a game on. I agree that it wasn't ideal, but in the absence of a mod the community has to help itself, and that means reporting posts. In fact even if there is a mod around they should be doing that anyway, it's an important contribution to the community that all mods appreciate. However, as I promised last night, it has been referred to the Sports CMods and the matter is now being looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Not just you Zaph, not at all.

It just seems to be a mantra on here, is all.

Note the word of the use*initial*, You decided later on to have a chat with the catmods, which is a step forward in respect of the OPs suggestion.

Others have come on here, and tried to blame the OP or the community he's speaking from. With the exception of Sparks (proactive from the off, your later helpful post, and sceptre's advisory post-more light than heat, as usual for him in fairness) the rest of the posts from those with moderator taglines have been naysayers.

Users have chimed in and said that there is indeed a problem. They're getting castigated for not reporting posts.

edit:Anyway, things seem to be in train now, so we got there in the end:)

The point simply made here is that the AF forum currently doesn't have a mod on duty late at night during the games when the AF is at it's highest activity. Timezone is an issue obviously, unlike Soccer or GAA or Rugby when there is a game there, but that's what you get with American Football - and that's what the moderators have bought themselves in to.

The best thing to do is appoint a third mod, one of the regulars who not only are on all week long when the place is quiet and all the trolls are in hiding, but during the late night games too when the AF peaks.

One problem I'd see is that some of the regulars that are being spoken of are the very ones who feed trolls when they appear. Not sure I want someone like that modding the forum. A whole lot of ego in the AF forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    The best thing to do is appoint a third mod, one of the regulars who not only are on all week long when the place is quiet and all the trolls are in hiding, but during the late night games too when the AF peaks.

Does such a person exist (meaning a member who is generally available at night when these games is on and who would also make a good moderator?)

Ponster wrote: »
    Does such a person exist (meaning a member who is generally available at night when these games is on and who would also make a good moderator?)

Various opinions on this.

Ponster wrote: »
    Yes, there is.

Do yourself and Tristram read or post in the AF forum? I've never seen you in there.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Do yourself and Tristram read or post in the AF forum? I've never seen you in there.

Yes, I do.

• Advertisement

Tristram wrote: »
    Yes, I do.
    Well then you'll know of the person I think should be a mod of the AF. He wasn't posting in the Game thread last night to feed any trolls or WUMs, probably the first time in a long time he wasn't online during the late game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement