Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Football

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

amp test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Well then you'll know of the person I think should be a mod of the AF. He wasn't posting in the Game thread last night to feed any trolls or WUMs, probably the first time in a long time he wasn't online during the late game.

To add to this I fell asleep during the second game 1st time in a long time I missed any game :D But there are at least 4 guys who could do this as they are always on. The debate was already put forward to the Mods of boards when I started a thread and they gave us Blue Lagoon.

Now Blue is great person and a good mod but unfortunately never on during the games or rarely that is. I didn't know Lloyd was no longer a mod either.

I personally respect that people have personal lives that is fair enough but when I made my argument to get another mod I did say it should be someone who is actually up when games are on. There are a fair few of us were our social lives or working lives are adapted to such situation.

The American Football section needs a charter like all the busy forums and it needs mods following that charter and policing it. Then there would be no problems. And as I said before during the busy period things can and will get out of hand that wouldn't last 10 seconds in other sports sections but last for days or go ignored in the AF section.

We have 3 weeks left in the current NFL season tonight, next weekend the pro bowl the following weekend and then the Superbowl. Now personally I coach an American Football team and am 50/50 on Superbowl nights but oddly that night runs more smoothly as most are out watching the game who like the sport but the weeks leading up to it need to be modded especially when games are on. That is all.

My 2c on the matter. Sorry for the rambling things struck me as a typed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Well then you'll know of the person I think should be a mod of the AF. He wasn't posting in the Game thread last night to feed any trolls or WUMs, probably the first time in a long time he wasn't online during the late game.

Unlike the previous weekend when there was a display of childish petulance that would undermine any confidence I might have in that user as an effective mod. I'd be setting my sights a bit higher if changes in modding were high on my list of priorities.

Tristram wrote: »
    Unlike the previous weekend when there was a display of childish petulance that would undermine any confidence I might have in that user as an effective mod. I'd be setting my sights a bit higher if changes in modding were high on my list of priorities.

I take it you are talking about me and that is fair enough. What went on was nothing short of trolling by one of the regulars and he went unpunished and it angered me. I know I will never be given the Mod of that forum I have been told that on many occasions so you don't to worry about it.

Edit: Just to add in my defense all the suitable candidates at one point have had their weak moments in the American football section as trolling has been allowed far too often and people react. We are only human after all. We post regularly and see this happen and no one do anything about it.

I take it you are talking about me and that is fair enough.

Yes, nothing personal. You contribute a lot to the forum as a regular user and hopefully will continue to do so for a long time to come. I simply don't think you would be a good or effective moderator although your name regularly crops up in connection to topic. Anyway, debate about these kinds off things is always good. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Do yourself and Tristram read or post in the AF forum? I've never seen you in there.

Never post in there and only really take any interest in the sport at this time of the year because staying up until 5am means that the following day is ruined for me (e.g. today) :)

I'm sure that the ChMod will find someone available to keep an eye on the place as we get closer to the Superbowl.

Yes, nothing personal. You contribute a lot to the forum as a regular user and hopefully will continue to do so for a long time to come. I simply don't think you would be a good or effective moderator although your name regularly crops up in connection to topic. Anyway, debate about these kinds off things is always good. :)

Ah no worries man. I was pushed to far and I accept I crossed the line and if it means I dont get mod thats fair enough but my original case is that someone should be and there is more than me in there who are regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Ponster wrote: »
    Never post in there and only really take any interest in the sport at this time of the year because staying up until 5am means that the following day is ruined for me (e.g. today) :)

I'm sure that the ChMod will find someone available to keep an eye on the place as we get closer to the Superbowl.
    Fair enough mate, I know how you feel about the late nights! :D

Hopefully the CMods can get something put in place for the AF forum, be it another active moderator or maybe make sure one of the current ones are online during the games.

On another point, say what you will about previous history that would effect his status as a moderator, but tallaght would be up there as a fantastic mod of the AF for me, becaue he has the two greatest neccesities of an AF mod - active all week long and a great knowledge of the game.

I'm sure he's learned his lesson after that incident last week, but to be quite honest initially it's very disappointing and infuriating to see a regular of the AF going on the way he did.

It's a nice little community in there, I don't think the addition of another mod would upset the balance at all, especially if it's one of the regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

RuggieBear wrote: »
    amp test.
    Screw your amp test :pac: Theres lots of posters [hundreds] who are on at that hour, commonly residing in other timezones that would suit the time of those games. You could pick any one of them with a right head on their shoulders, they dont have to be AF posters to know whats going on or pop their heads in.

Where is GuanYin actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There were indeed lots of posters... and only two who reported anything, and one of those was busily throwing fuel on the fire along with three or four others.
    A mod is meant to do the opposite. I didn't see anyone last night behaving like a mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im not saying that you did Sparks but I Am saying that doesnt make the situation alright.

So you have no moderation from the Posters and no moderation from the Moderators. What now?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

'not right' and 'fixable' are sadly unrelated states overheal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Let's keep this constructive folks. I don't want personal disputes dragged into this :)

My last say on this:

I mod 3 other AF forums and to be honest with you as a mod of course your responses are different as you have been given a responsibility. When you don't have that responsibility and someone pisses you off consistently of course you will lash out. It is human nature. If the mods had been doing a job then the lashing out would never happen it is that simple. In the past in that AF forum posts have been reported and gone unnoticed until the next day and in that time regulars have gotton upset and responded to the trolls. When you let something fester that long, Human nature will kick in and people will go outside their civil boundries and lash back. To say otherwise one has to be a stronger person to ignore a problem that should have been killed there and then.

Personally I know I wont get it that has been made very clear but not lets forget with responsibility people change their attitudes. To say none of the regulars are good enough to mod is ridiculous. I'm sure some of you other mods have responded to trolls or got into silly debates before becoming mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The American Football Forum has been in steady decline over the past year and a half or so imo.

I stopped posting about 18 months ago and in the past few months have even stopped lurking.

There is some great posters in that forum who try their best to give it a community feel, but unfortunately they seem to be outnumbered by those who seem set on tearing that good work down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Frisbee wrote: »
    The American Football Forum has been in steady decline over the past year and a half or so imo.

I stopped posting about 18 months ago and in the past few months have even stopped lurking.

There is some great posters in that forum who try their best to give it a community feel, but unfortunately they seem to be outnumbered by those who seem set on tearing that good work down.

Would you mod it Laura? I think you'd make a great mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Des wrote: »
    +1 Frisbee would make a great mod in the AF

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Sparks wrote: »
    There were indeed lots of posters... and only two who reported anything, and one of those was busily throwing fuel on the fire along with three or four others.
    A mod is meant to do the opposite. I didn't see anyone last night behaving like a mod.
    Well I take it I was one of those 'fuelling' it, but I didn't feel I was at all, my post was a tongue in cheek comment that wasn't trying to provoke a reation at all!

Des wrote: »

If asked I would absolutely do it. I think the American Football forum has a good solid base of regular posters who it's obvious, to me anyway, are looking to improve it and make it a very good forum on Boards. This core group of decent posters is outnumbered by those who may only log on on big game nights or when the post-season starts, but are intent on winding people up and causing trouble.

However with the lack of proper modding this isn't going to happen as posts can be reported and it is far too long before anything is actually done as there is only one active Mod and the rest are absentees. As tallaghtoutlaws said earlier in the thread a post that is reported and has nothing done about it will often lead to the posters themselves taking matters into their own hands and this is where you end up having trouble start, flame wars, trolling etc.

Also, stop calling me Laura :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Also, stop calling me Laura :D

So you're not a girl.. best rip up those Ryanair tickets to London so :)

I'm quite a lurker and occasional poster on AF, I know tallaghtoutlaws made a post not so long ago about the modding on that forum, and the reading of this thread indicates why he is not longer the mod, but if "Laura" isn't interested could perhaps we have tallaghtoutlaws back?

I enjoy reading his posts, always knowledgeable, has answered mine (and a lot of other peoples questions) yes he seems to have descended to troll level in the past but I believe thats due to his passion for the game and for the forum. I dont think thats a negative thing, and from browsing the forum the odd time of games he does seem to be online quite a bit.

I forward a motion for tallaghtoutlaws to be brought back on a trial basis.

@ tallaghtoutlaws from reading between the lines of your post it seems you would be interested in this, but i'm wrong please say so and will edit my post and change all the nice things i've said :)

• Advertisement

So you're not a girl.. best rip up those Ryanair tickets to London so :)

Doirty
    but if "Laura" isn't interested could perhaps we have tallaghtoutlaws back?

I think you misread my post. I definitely would do it, but to be completely honest I think it needs two new Mods more than just one, especially after the recent departure of Lloyd.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Doirty

I think you misread my post. I definitely would do it, but to be completely honest I think it needs two new Mods more than just one, especially after the recent departure of Lloyd.

Sorry, I seem to have skipped past that part where you said you were interested, apologies!

Ok, so Frisbee and tallaghtoutlaws for mods? As said there will be a few important games over the next few weeks and trolls will be around.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, rather than turning this into a thread campaigning for x, y or z to be made a mod of the forum, may I suggest that you PM the Sports CMods, Sparks and uberwolf, and they'll assess the merit of each potential candidate. Thanks.

Just to clarify, I don't think anyone has said that none of the regulars are suited to the task. As said somewhere above though it doesn't really need to be an AF regular. Someone who is normally on those hours and can poke their head in occasionally to check for reported posts would be more than enough.

It's clear that posts are not being reported by users as they should be. Perhaps infractions for engaging with trolls rather than reporting might induce people to behave more appropriately.

(I'm not sure how it works with reported posts by the way, does a forum mod receive notification of reported posts through the PM system or do they need to be actively monitoring the forum in question?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Just to clarify, I don't think anyone has said that none of the regulars are suited to the task. As said somewhere above though it doesn't really need to be an AF regular. Someone who is normally on those hours and can poke their head in occasionally to check for reported posts would be more than enough.

thats exactly why i said id be up for it if none of the regulars/better candidates are!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

(I'm not sure how it works with reported posts by the way, does a forum mod receive notification of reported posts through the PM system or do they need to be actively monitoring the forum in question?)

No we don't get them via PM. Basically you nominate an email address and a notification of a reported post is sent to it. You don't need to be on boards at all to know a post has been reported once you check your emails regularly.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No we don't get them via PM. Basically you nominate an email address and a notification of a reported post is sent to it. You don't need to be on boards at all to know a post has been reported once you check your emails regularly.

Cool, thanks for clarifying. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Xavi6 wrote: »

Just to add a little extra, the reported post generates a new thread in a moderator forum which almost always has 1 of the 400+ mods active in it.

If a post is reported by several people or several posts from the same forum in a short moment of time then the issue is usually easy to spot and action can be taken even if the forum moderators aren't available.

Ponster wrote: »
    Just to add a little extra, the reported post generates a new thread in a moderator forum which almost always has 1 of the 400+ mods active in it.

If a post is reported by several people or several posts from the same forum in a short moment of time then the issue is usually easy to spot and action can be taken even if the forum moderators aren't available.

Thanks Ponster. I guess this goes to show just how important reporting posts is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

eagle eye wrote: »
    The only one that seems to be there pretty regularly is Blue_Lagoon but not usually when there are games on. The other two are rarely on, and not at all when live games are on it seems.
    I'll make sure to be available for the remaining playoffs and 7 February Superbowl during game times. After the Superbowl, there will be little forum traffic until August 2010, with both the NFL and NCAA off season.

There were only 2 reported posts this whole playoff weekend, so if there are concerns, AF posters should use the reported post function more often? Although I've posted to this forum for three seasons, I am very new as a mod to this forum, and am still attempting to sort out the normal banter that goes on from the rare abuse (not always an easy call). Frequently infacting posters that often get passionate during games can harm the AF forum as much as sitting back too much and letting them pop off steam? That's why reporting posts are one way to mediate between banter and abuse, as on other forums?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement