Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Football

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

We're aware that we can report posts as a means of getting issues sorted. . . .eventually. What we need is an active mod who can prevent these issues from occuring alltogether by having an active presence on the forum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Tristram wrote: »
    (I'm not sure how it works with reported posts by the way, does a forum mod receive notification of reported posts through the PM system or do they need to be actively monitoring the forum in question?)
    Reported posts are sent to one of my email accounts. I check that account when first logging on, or am notified if one occurs should I be online at the time. I then visit my two forums and sort through some of the posts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The American Football section needs a charter like all the busy forums and it needs mods following that charter and policing it. Then there would be no problems.
    Please see the new thread (sticky) on the American Football forum for constructive suggestions towards drafting a new AF forum charter. Here is an opportunity to improve our forum. Don't feel that you have to draft a long, exhaustive list of items, but rather post one, two, three, or more, and join the discussion so that we can make the AF forum the best on boards.ie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Nice one, BL :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Any plan on replacing LuckLloyd as mod of AF? This thread has been open nearly 12 hours and was reported by TO at 2:40am, have the category mods of sports not even been on in the last 12 hours?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055816385

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

In short, no we haven't been online.
    Sceptre's since locked the thread. B_L will no doubt issue bans and such as required.
    LL's replacement is in progress.

Sparks wrote: »
    In short, no we haven't been online.
    Sceptre's since locked the thread. B_L will no doubt issue bans and such as required.
    Woke up this morning to find this waiting for me. It's now 6.24 AM on the Pacific coast of the USA.

Agree with Sparks. Offender has been notified by PM, found to be in breach of several policies clearly stated in the new American Football Forum Charter, and banned. Thread was earlier locked, and has now been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Didn't take long for the new charter to come into action did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,457 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So I go onto my favourite forum on boards.ie, one of two I frequent regularly these days and see that we have a new moderator who doesn't even post in the forum.

I would say I'm responsible for 15% of the posts in that forum. I've never been in trouble in that forum but now I have to leave. I ended up with a yellow card in another forum because of this guy in the past. I have him on ignore ever since and now he is chosen as a moderator in the only forum that was really keeping me here in the wake of LL's demodding.

Whoever makes these decisions should really have a chat with the forum members imo. Its not like we are a troublesome bunch or anything, we just wanted a mod who we know and trust like Blue_Lagoon who was an excellent choice and Lucky_Lloyd before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

The statement from your AF post is absolutely ridiculous, first you make sure to mention he's not a regular, then completely contradict yourself by stating he'll be a moderator who will quickly ban people. What part of your brain did you pluck that from?

Frisbee is going to be a great mod, and if you don't like the decision good luck, there's plenty of other forums you can grace your presence with.
    who never posts here and to be quite honest is the type of person who I expect to be very quick to ban people.

• Advertisement

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    The statement from your AF post is absolutely ridiculous, first you make sure to mention he's not a regular, then completely contradict yourself by stating he'll be a moderator who will quickly ban people. What part of your brain did you pluck that from?

Frisbee is going to be a great mod, and if you don't like the decision good luck, there's plenty of other forums you can grace your presence with.
    He is a regular in another forum on boards that I frequent.

My post there I suppose I shouldn't have put anything about it there, was just saying to goodbye to the regular posters who I have befriended over my time there.

If you read this thread in its entirety, everybody was really looking for somebody who is a regular in the forum. I could name about seven or eight candidates that would have been a good choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

How about giving the lad a chance before you start whingeing and throwing your toys out of the pram? You don't know what kind of mod he'll be. The mod doesn't need to be pals with everyone, they just need to enforce the charter and use common sense. I think Frisbee will be quite capable of that.

I've personally had a problem with him in the past.
    I've had him on ignore ever since which you really can't do with a mod in a forum that you frequent.
    He is not a regular poster in the forum which is what all the regulars didn't want.
    I don't intend to stay in a forum where the wishes of the regular posters are blindly ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

If you read this thread in its entirety, everybody was really looking for somebody who is a regular in the forum. I could name about seven or eight candidates that would have been a good choice.

And leaving the forum because you didn't get your own way is a very mature way of going about it. A neutral mod will be equally effective as a mod then a regular would be, if not more. This way Frisbee doesn't have links in either side of the argument, and this is good for a sport forum with so many divisions (teams members support, general opinions, and so on).
    I've personally had a problem with him in the past.
    I've had him on ignore ever since which you really can't do with a mod in a forum that you frequent.

There's our answer.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    And leaving the forum because you didn't get your own way is a very mature way of going about it. A neutral mod will be equally effective as a mod then a regular would be, if not more. This way Frisbee doesn't have links in either side of the argument, and this is good for a sport forum with so many divisions (teams members support, general opinions, and so on).
    No its not good for the forum. You need people who understand the divisions, who know about the game and have knowledge of the game.

I really don't understand why you are so worried about it anyways. Its not like you are a regular poster there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

eagle eye wrote: »
    Whoever makes these decisions should really have a chat with the forum members imo.
    We did. In this thread, and by PM. Frisbee was recommended by, or acceptable to, the vast majority of those we spoke to.
    Its not like we are a troublesome bunch or anything, we just wanted a mod who we know and trust like Blue_Lagoon
    ...whose head you guys were calling for not three weeks ago. Give Frisbee a chance Eagle, you might find you prefer having enough neutral moderators to keep the place tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

No its not good for the forum. You need people who understand the divisions, who know about the game and have knowledge of the game.

:confused:

Maybe you missed this?
    Frisbee wrote: »
    The American Football Forum has been in steady decline over the past year and a half or so imo.

I stopped posting about 18 months ago and in the past few months have even stopped lurking.

There is some great posters in that forum who try their best to give it a community feel, but unfortunately they seem to be outnumbered by those who seem set on tearing that good work down.

That seems to suggest the guy has posted there in the past, and if he has he'll have some knowledge of the game.

Seems like an over reaction tbh.

We did. In this thread, and by PM. Frisbee was recommended by, or acceptable to, the vast majority of those we spoke to. ...whose head you guys were calling for not three weeks ago. Give Frisbee a chance Eagle, you might find you prefer having enough neutral moderators to keep the place tidy.
    Who was calling for Blue_Lagoon's head three weeks ago. I wasn't aware of anything like that. In fact I started a thread when she was chosen as a mod.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055759034

I have no intention of giving Frisbee a chance, I'm done with the forum and boards.ie as a whole. This was the only forum really keeping me here.

I don't know who you spoke to by pm, I certainly wasn't asked about him and I'm one of the three most regular posters in that forum over the last two years. No regular forum poster recommeneded him in this thread either.

That seems to suggest the guy has posted there in the past, and if he has he'll have some knowledge of the game.

Seems like an over reaction tbh.
    Why are you coming in here talking about a forum you know nothing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Why are you coming in here talking about a forum you know nothing about?

Who are you to say whether I know anything about the forum or not?

How do you know I don't read it regularly?

Isn't this forum for feedback? If you want a private hearing perhaps PMs or Help Desk would be a better option?

All I've done is point out the fact that you may have missed a post by Frisbee which discounts one of your complaints, I thought I was being helpful.

Perhaps you should drop the drama queen routine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

We did. In this thread, and by PM. Frisbee was recommended by, or acceptable to, the vast majority of those we spoke to. ....

Didn't hear anything about this and I'd say 90% of my posts are in the American Football forum. Could you publish a list of names you PMed please?

Would it not just be common sense to appoint a regular poster to the forum and someone who has an insightful knowledge of the game as a Mod? There is plenty of options there in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I think the point of me getting it was because I'm not an AF regular. By doing this I have no prejudices against anyone, not in any of the cliques that many boards develop so have nothing against anyone, I'm going into this with everyone as a clean slate. I've been involved in boards before where someone is given the Modship who never posted there, and the first time it happened I too felt it was a silly decision, but in hindsight the person turned out to be a good mod who could look at things impartially.

Also I can't see why you think I'm going to start banning people very quickly?

On top of that, the problem we had in another forum was hardly anything to do with me being malicious or any such sort.

I don't want to be responsible for a forum regular leaving, but I can't see why you couldn't at least give me a chance?

I'm also a fairly big Raiders fan, watch at least one game a week when I can and always see all the playoff games.

So yeah, it's not like I know nothing about the sport.

Didn't hear anything about this and I'd say 90% of my posts are in the American Football forum. Could you publish a list of names you PMed please?

Would it not just be common sense to appoint a regular poster to the forum and someone who has an insightful knowledge of the game as a Mod? There is plenty of options there in fairness.
    Interesting alright, another reg who wasn't pm'd.

I really would love to know who the people who were pm'd were too.

Unless Frisbee answered it there. I can't read his posts as I have him on ignore.
    As I said, nobody listens to the regular posters.
    We clearly stated that the problems in the forum did not involve the regulars.
    All we wanted was a regular on the forum who would know instantly whether a post was made by a regular or somebody trolling etc.

Tbh I don't believe for one minute that any regular posters were pm'd about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I don't see what the problem is personally. Frisbee seemed to a grand ol' poster when I read the soccer board occaionally. I'm willing to give anyone a chance.

We lost a pretty good mod and superb poster in LL and we could do with more people who like the game to post more there!

To me the fact that eagle eye isn't willing to take me off ignore for a small incident that happened over a year ago, and didn't even get him banned, just got him a yellow card, certainly not what I was trying to do, was a simple mistake where I quoted a post that I should not have, is endemic of the problem here.

Could someone suggest to eagle eye to take me off ignore please so we can have this discussion like grown up's? I'm going to PM him now but not sure if posters you are 'ignoring' can send you PM's or not...

I have absolutely no problem with eagle eye, the same way in which I have no problem with anyone on the American Football forum. I'm going into this with a clean slate and no bias, and I don't intend to 'start banning people very quickly'.

I know eagle eye would be more of the regualr contributors to the AF board and I certainly don't want to be the cause of him leaving as he clearly knows his stuff and is a big fan of the game. As I said before I know the frustration of having a Mod chosen for a forum that is not a regualr poster there, and I was vehemently against it at the time, but in the long run I know think it was a good move as none of the current forum 'politics' (for want of a better word) came in the way of his Modding. But to decide to leave the board without even giving me a chance is irritating to say the least. I think I'll make an ok Mod, and a few other people seem to also (thanks guys), and if it turns out that I am an awful Mod or am biased then it's a simple process of removing me mate, surely you can at least give me a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

I never recieved a pm regarding it either. I think this is just another incident of the boards headhonchos being out of tune with the communities within boards (just like that my name is url thread). It's so obvious what we the AF community wanted if you take a quick glance over this very thread. We wanted another mod to give Blue a hand. One whom we were familiar with and who has a regular presence on the AF forum. Not one who averaged one post every two months over the last year and a bit and who also openly admitted that he doesn't even "lurk" there anymore.

There was so many people who could have been approached for this, all people who show a day to day interest in the community.

This was a senseless appointment.

I never recieved a pm regarding it either. I think this is just another incident of the boards headhonchos being out of tune with the communities within boards (just like that my name is url thread). It's so obvious what we the AF community wanted if you take a quick glance over this very thread. We wanted another mod to give Blue a hand. One whom we were familiar with and who has a regular presence. Not one who averaged a post a month over the last year and a bit and who also openly admitted that he doesn't even "lurk" there anymore.

There was so many people who could have been approached for this, all people who show a day to day interest in the community.

This was a senseless appointment.

In fairness, they shouldn't be forced into appointing a person just because some people on the forum wanted a 'regular'. I couldn't give a damn to be honest who mods as long as they aren't an anal twat. I disagree with many of the decision of the head peeps recently but we don't always know whats best for ourselves.

themont85 wrote: »
    In fairness, they shouldn't be forced into appointing a person just because some people on the forum wanted a 'regular'. I couldn't give a damn to be honest who mods as long as they aren't an anal twat. I disagree with many of the decision of the head peeps recently but we don't always know whats best for ourselves.
    Well of the regular posters on the forum, it seems you are alone in thinking that.

• Advertisement

Well of the regular posters on the forum, it seems you are alone in thinking that.

Would you care if this new mod wasnt one you had an 'issue' with previousely?

I don't see why we need another 'regular' on the board, Blue is enough I would have thought along with Neil! I dont see what the big deal is here to be perfectly honest. There are mods of other forums I go on who admit to having little interest in the sport (not that Frisbee doesn't I'll add), who mod brilliantly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement