Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Football

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,457 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

themont85 wrote: »
    Would you care if this new mod wasnt one you had an 'issue' with previousely?

I don't see why we need another 'regular' on the board, Blue is enough I would have thought along with Neil! I dont see what the big deal is here to be perfectly honest. There are mods of other forums I go on who admit to having little interest in the sport (not that Frisbee doesn't I'll add), who mod brilliantly.
    Neil as a mod has been pretty much non existent for a long time now.
    Did you read this thread at all? All the regulars that posted here said a forum regular was what is needed.
    Yes I would care if another non-regular was given this job.
    Frisbee being selected just means I won't be posting there anymore as I don't trust him after what he pulled on me before but most of the other regulars I'm quite sure are unhappy that they were not listened to when we went to the bother of posting about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

eagle eye wrote: »
    Frisbee being selected just means I won't be posting there anymore as I don't trust him after what he pulled on me before

Your making it sound like I grievously injured you when it was a fairly innocuous thing that only earned you a yellow card. Wasn't like I went out to do you, you broke the rules and then tried to backtrack. I honestly have no problem with you mate, and will treat you the same as any other AF poster, regular or newbie, you have my word on that.

Anyway I've PM'd eagle eye but have had no response so either he can't receive my PM because he has me on ignore or he isn't interested in talking this out. In case it's the first one could someone else PM him or even mention it on thread about him taking me off ignore just so we can discuss his issues in this thread.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Neil as a mod has been pretty much non existent for a long time now.
    Did you read this thread at all? All the regulars that posted here said a forum regular was what is needed.
    Yes I would care if another non-regular was given this job.
    Frisbee being selected just means I won't be posting there anymore as I don't trust him after what he pulled on me before but most of the other regulars I'm quite sure are unhappy that they were not listened to when we went to the bother of posting about it here.
    Too bad tbh -- the admins pick the mods, not the users, that's how it's always been. They obviously see Frisbee as responsible enough to handle the AF forum. Stop being a bloody baby cos you or one of your pals wasn't chosen. I don't think the forum will suddenly degenerate as a result of Frisbee's appointment.

Much ado about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Eagle, we asked in here for nominations to be PM'd to the CMods. Four people (including yourself) sent in PMs with nominations. Three of those nominated Frisbee, you were the sole exception. Go back over this thread, you'll note that several others nominated Frisbee also. We spoke with Blue_Lagoon, went over the various nominees and looked at their past posts and histories, and selected Frisbee as being the best option because Frisbee was acceptable as a mod by the largest group of users within the forum and was willing to take on the role and felt a compulsion to improve the forum. We ran it past the admins for approval, and Frisbee was confirmed. I'm sorry you weren't chosen, but those are the breaks, and if you feel you don't want to be here any more, then we're sorry to see you go - but we're not going to demod Frisbee and mod you because you don't like Frisbee on some personal level. You can't run a forum on that basis, it'd self-destruct in a short space of time if you tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Frisbee wrote: »
    Your making it sound like I grievously injured you when it was a fairly innocuous thing that only earned you a yellow card. Wasn't like I went out to do you, you broke the rules and then tried to backtrack. I honestly have no problem with you mate, and will treat you the same as any other AF poster, regular or newbie, you have my word on that.

Anyway I've PM'd eagle eye but have had no response so either he can't receive my PM because he has me on ignore or he isn't interested in talking this out. In case it's the first one could someone else PM him or even mention it on thread about him taking me off ignore just so we can discuss his issues in this thread.

Cheers

Frisbee's post for eagleeye if he hasn't seen yet.

The only thing you'd agree on is the fact that mods are needed at sometimes late hours (only really playoffs). I don't see why that has to be a regular or even a fan.

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Too bad tbh -- the admins pick the mods, not the users, that's how it's always been. They obviously see Frisbee as responsible enough to handle the AF forum. Stop being a bloody baby cos you or one of your pals wasn't chosen. I don't think the forum will suddenly degenerate as a result of Frisbee's appointment.

Much ado about nothing.
    I mean really, whats the point of your post? Have a dig? What?

I've probably started 60, maybe 70 threads in that forum over the past year, I've probably made 2000 posts in that forum in the past year. I do care about it.
    The larger issue is that the regular posters, the guys that use the forum, that care about the forum were not listened to. There were many regulars, I could name about 10 who could have done the job.
    Clearly the fact that it was Frisbee affects things greatly for me as I cannot trust him, but don't think for one second I wouldn't be here if some other unknown to us AF forum regulars was the new mod.

Sparks wrote: »
    Eagle, we asked in here for nominations to be PM'd to the CMods. Four people (including yourself) sent in PMs with nominations. Three of those nominated Frisbee, you were the sole exception. Go back over this thread, you'll note that several others nominated Frisbee also. We spoke with Blue_Lagoon, went over the various nominees and looked at their past posts and histories, and selected Frisbee as being the best option because Frisbee was acceptable as a mod by the largest group of users within the forum and was willing to take on the role and felt a compulsion to improve the forum. We ran it past the admins for approval, and Frisbee was confirmed. I'm sorry you weren't chosen, but those are the breaks, and if you feel you don't want to be here any more, then we're sorry to see you go - but we're not going to demod Frisbee and mod you because you don't like Frisbee on some personal level. You can't run a forum on that basis, it'd self-destruct in a short space of time if you tried.
    How did you come to this conclusion?
    The guys that recommended Frisbee are not AF regulars. This is the problem with the process, you don't even know who the regular posters on the forum are.
    Des recommended him, he has never posted in the AF forum to the best of my knowledge. And Eire Dhearg I think said he would be ok, but he too is only new the forum and doesn't post much there either.

The other big problem with the process is that it has to be brought here. While thats sensible in a big popular forum like AH or Soccer etc, its not a good way to do things in a forum like American Football as we don't have the traffic of those forums and a lot of the regs wouldn't even know about feedback or would never visit it. They are just American Football fans.

I wasn't even aware of this thread until another regular informed me.

themont85 wrote: »
    Frisbee's post for eagleeye if he hasn't seen yet.

The only thing you'd agree on is the fact that mods are needed at sometimes late hours (only really playoffs). I don't see why that has to be a regular or even a fan.
    In response to that quoted post of Frisbee.

I didn't get a pm and I have no intention of taking you off the ignore list. I presume this is why I didn't get a pm.

There is no point in us having any discussion as I don't trust you. Thats the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

I won't be posting there anymore as a result of this. My last posts on boards.ie will be in this thread most likely.

Let me make it clear, its not sour grapes because I didn't get the mod job myself. My reasons for leaving are because of Frisbee specifically.

I do feel however that the regulars have been let down by appointing a mod who is not a regular.

How did you come to this conclusion?
    Because the people who cared enough about the forum to talk here or by PM about it said so. And if the others don't care enough to send us a PM or write a post about it, then they don't mind either way.
    The other big problem with the process is that it has to be brought here.
    Actually, it didn't have to be brought here and this is quite atypical. Normally, we would talk to the mods on the forum and generally go with their suggestions. We wouldn't normally talk to the posters themselves. So basicly, you've gotten a lot more input into this decision than normally happens.
    I wasn't even aware of this thread until another regular informed me.
    Didn't stop you posting here or PMing in about it.

Sparks wrote: »
    Because the people who cared enough about the forum to talk here or by PM about it said so. And if the others don't care enough to send us a PM or write a post about it, then they don't mind either way. Actually, it didn't have to be brought here and this is quite atypical. Normally, we would talk to the mods on the forum and generally go with their suggestions. We wouldn't normally talk to the posters themselves. So basicly, you've gotten a lot more input into this decision than normally happens.Didn't stop you posting here or PMing in about it.

The reason I posted and pm'd and said I'd do it and suggested others too was because I care about the forum.

I'd love to know who recommended him not that it matters now, its done I'm finished there sadly.

No use flogging a dead horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I have always liked Frisbee's posts. However, I will note that he wasn't even in the discussion of potential moderators when Blue_Lagoon was made moderator a couple of months ago. I can completely understand why the regular users of the forum would be a little surprised at the decision.

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you want here Eagle. If you want the posters to consult on the selection of a mod, well frankly you had it and that's atypical for this site. Most forums do not have an input into the selection of their moderators because what makes a good mod is not necessarily what makes a popular poster. Despite having that input, you're still upset because the decision wasn't to your personal liking. But your personal liking is not the metric on which these decisions are made. I'm sorry you feel you can't live with it, but as I said, you're the only poster who PM'd in who didn't recommend Frisbee, all the others did, so this is just your specific personal issue. And you want us to demod Frisbee on that basis, despite your not showing any specific issue that would prevent Frisbee from being a good moderator?

Personally, I think you should give it a few weeks. Who knows, you might find it's better than you think.

All I asked you was who recommended Frisbee. I just would like to know if they were forum regs.

You say you got four pms.

I sent one of them, I said I'd do it and recommended others for it too.
    I presume Frisbee sent one, saying he would do it and not recommending anybody else.

Which leaves two pms. If Des was one of these then that didn't come from an AF reg.

If the other was Eire Dhearg, then it didn't come for an AF reg either.

My personal problem with Frisbee leaves me in the situation where I won't be posting there anymore.
    Tbh I was just startled and in disbelief when I seen his name there as a moderator.

If you had picked a regular poster as was suggested by three of the five most regular posters on the forum and I'd even guess the three most frequent posters, them being Tallaghtoutlaws, Davyjose and myself we would not be here today.

Unfortunately we are here, and its over for me.

Unfortunately we are here, and its over for me.
    Then we wish you well. Feel free to return whenever you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Des recommended him

Yep, I did, and I'm glad my recommendation went some way to see a good poster on Boards become a mod, a poster I know has a keen interest in the sport and wants to see the forum grow, and more importantly, in my opinion, wants to see the American Football Forum on Boards.ie grow and prosper.

Frisbee is a good, great, poster on Boards.ie. Is a fan of the sport, is a fan of many sports.

The fact that she said she was a regular, then became a lurker, then stopped lurking, but when approached to become a Mod of the forum said yes speaks volumes to me.

She saw the forum became a mess (as this thread attests to btw), but is still willing to become a mod, and try to steer it on the right path.

That is what Admins look for in mods here. Someone who will nurture the forum in which they ask them to moderate. Make it a good place to post for the majority of people who have an interest in the area.

I mod the Rugby forum. I'm not a regular poster there, but I know that I'm doing a good job there. Posters, Mods, CMods and Admin have told me.

The most important people there are the posters, once posters keep telling me I'm doing a good job, then I won't stop doing that job.

I know Frisbee is of the same mind. I wouldn't have recommended her otherwise.

The problem is Des, you don't have the slightest clue about the AF forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The problem is Des, you don't have the slightest clue about the AF forum.

And you know that how? Because I don't post there is it? How do you know I don't religiously read it?

I don't post in Rugby either (apart from mod-related posts), are you saying that I'm a bad mod there? Or that I shouldn't be a mod there?

The vast majority of the regular posters, my co-mods, my CMods and Admins would disagree with you.

Des wrote: »
    And you know that how? Because I don't post there is it? How do you know I don't religiously read it?

I don't post in Rugby either (apart from mod-related posts), are you saying that I'm a bad mod there? Or that I shouldn't be a mod there?

The vast majority of the regular posters, my co-mods, my CMods and Admins would disagree with you.
    Well if you do, its in the very short spell each day that I am not on there. I regularly look at who is in the forum. The time you get a hidden member thats almost always one of the other really regular posters in the forum. As I said I spent an awful lot of time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

In response to that quoted post of Frisbee.

I didn't get a pm and I have no intention of taking you off the ignore list. I presume this is why I didn't get a pm.

There is no point in us having any discussion as I don't trust you. Thats the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

That's just incredibly childish tbh.

The ignore feature is one of the most retarded and juvenile things about this site.
    I won't be posting there anymore as a result of this. My last posts on boards.ie will be in this thread most likely.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    Let me make it clear, its not sour grapes because I didn't get the mod job myself. My reasons for leaving are because of Frisbee specifically.

I do feel however that the regulars have been let down by appointing a mod who is not a regular.

Why does it have to be a regular? Regulars often have agendas created from regularly posting in the forum. You see it all the time.

You said it yourself - you have a problem with Frisbee. So which is the main gripe you have - that he got the job or that it isn't a regular filling the role?

As before I'll need someone to quote this as he still won't take me off ignore...

Mate, would you not agree that us being able to have a conversation might go some way towards solving this issue. Fair enough if you don't trust me, but I can't see why, it was a tiny incident that earned you a yellow card.
    I don't want to mention specifics here as not sure if you want me too but I'll gladly explain what happened to the thread (with your permission), so people can see what it is exactly you have against me, or you can explain it even. Better off having two sides to the story.
    I have always liked Frisbee's posts. However, I will note that he wasn't even in the discussion of potential moderators when Blue_Lagoon was made moderator a couple of months ago. I can completely understand why the regular users of the forum would be a little surprised at the decision.

As I said before I can see where the forum regulars on coming from this, absolutely, mainly because I was in a similair situation as a poster before seeing a non-posting Mod come into a forum I used. But it turned out good in the end as they were very impartial and had no prejudices against any particular poster etc. If people don't agree with me being appointed as Mod that's fair enough, but surely they can at least give me a chance to try and win them over, I think I can do a good job.
    I presume Frisbee sent one, saying he would do it and not recommending anybody else.

I didn't send any PM's.

• Advertisement

Frisbee is a "he" Des.

As I said before I can see where the forum regulars on coming from this, absolutely, mainly because I was in a similair situation as a poster before seeing a non-posting Mod come into a forum I used. But it turned out good in the end as they were very impartial and had no prejudices against any particular poster etc. If people don't agree with me being appointed as Mod that's fair enough, but surely they can at least give me a chance to try and win them over, I think I can do a good job.

No doubt! :)

Can you commit to being on late every Sunday night during the NFL season though? That is the big gap in terms of the forum moderation, and the core of complaint from the regular posters (who are on here while watching the games into the early hours). If you can commit to that, then you solve existing problems and are a fine selection (blue_lagoon does things with her Sunday afternoons on Pacific time; Neil is a busy, busy man). If not, there is still a big hole in the moderating team for the forum, and your appointment doesn't make complete sense.

Can you commit to being on late every Sunday night during the NFL season though?

Pretty much, it's very very rare that I work a Sunday night, maybe 1 in every 4? As I generally use all day Sunday to get college work done and the stop about 8 or so.
    Plus I don't have Sky Sports so I usually have to watch the games from a stream so I'm on my laptop anyway.

Pretty much, it's very very rare that I work a Sunday night as I generally use all day Sunday to get college work done and the stop about 8 or so.
    Plus I don't have Sky Sports so I usually have to watch the games from a stream so I'm on my laptop anyway.

Excellent! That should assuage any reasonable concerns the regular users have then. I have been on record before suggesting you as a choice for moderator of the soccer forum. No doubt you will do a great job. Best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Frisbee is a "he" Des.
    No he aint, he is a she!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Xavi6 wrote: »

Why does it have to be a regular? Regulars often have agendas created from regularly posting in the forum. You see it all the time.

You said it yourself - you have a problem with Frisbee. So which is the main gripe you have - that he got the job or that it isn't a regular filling the role?

Yeah all the regulars have agendas. . . And I'll let you in on a little secret, we want to use the AF forum has a platform to take over boards!

Come on, what possible agenda could anyone have.

The problem is it wasn't what we wanted. We clearly said on this thread what we wanted. So instead of giving us what we wanted it was believed that HEY someone who rarely ever even visits the forum will be the best option!

Complete and utter clueless decision.

Someone who is a regular poster on a forum could easily have a dislike for someone because of their views on an issue that has a risen in the past or just the way they post. Since it's been a while since I stopped posting in there I have no such issues with anyone.

So instead of giving us what we wanted it was believed that HEY someone who rarely ever even visits the forum will be the best option!

Up until maybe 3 months ago my usual routine when logging onto boards of forums visited would be:

Soccer
    UCD
    American Football
    Football Manager

It's only lately that I stopped lurking really in AF, popping in maybe once a week.

So your not even willing to give me a chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah all the regulars have agendas. . . And I'll let you in on a little secret, we want to use the AF forum has a platform to take over boards!

The problem is it wasn't what we wanted. We clearly said on this thread what we wanted. So instead of giving us what we wanted it was believed that HEY someone who rarely ever even visits the forum will be the best option!

Well too bloody bad, you don't pick the f*cking mods, the admins do !

Frisbee has said that he'll be online for most of the matches, and he's a big fan of the sport himself.

It doesn't even matter if he's posting in the forum regularly -- if you spot someone trolling or spamming, you report the post, and it pops up on his screen instantly and he can sort it out.

End of story.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The problem is it wasn't what we wanted. We clearly said on this thread what we wanted.

You seem to be under the impression that forum members should have a big say in who gets to become mod and who doesn't ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't see why Frisbee needs to justify himself here. The decision's been made so suck it up. If you wanna throw your toys out of the pram then leave and go somewhere else. The forum will survive I'm sure.

This witch hunt thread should be locked imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement