Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Football

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Dave! wrote: »
    Well too bloody bad, you don't pick the f*cking mods, the admins do !

Frisbee has said that he'll be online for most of the matches, and he's a big fan of the sport himself.

It doesn't even matter if he's posting in the forum regularly -- if you spot someone trolling or spamming, you report the post, and it pops up on his screen instantly and he can sort it out.

End of story.

Well you missed my f*cking point. Although, from looking over your posts I'm not surprised you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't see why Frisbee needs to justify himself here. The decision's been made so suck it up. If you wanna throw your toys out of the pram then leave and go somewhere else. The forum will survive I'm sure.

This witch hunt thread should be locked imo.

Fair enough, great modding, lets not sort out the problem, lets encourage those with a problem to leave.

The forum will survive without me then, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fair enough, great modding, lets not sort out the problem, lets encourage those with a problem to leave.

The forum will survive without me then, good luck.

Well you've hardly been a posterboy for reasoned debate. All you've done is come in and had a go at someone who has said he would put in the time and effort to help the forum prosper. Isn't that the common goal?

Some people aren't worth trying to reason with though, especially when things like the ignore feature come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I read AF regularly, although not religiously: I'm a practicing Rugby fan and my faith doesn't allow me to support derivitive sports. I do read it quite a bit, but I don't post during matches (usually because I'm watching them).

A few thoughts on different topics mentioned above.

Des hates rugby. We brought him in to help with modding the Rugby forum and he's been great. He brings great experience from Soccer in dealing with cross-team trolling and troublesome posters. I appreciate that, even though I'm not a wendyball fan. It's also great when we have accusations of mod bias towards one team or another, we have Des there to counter that.

Someone mentioned above that we didn't listen to the regular posters of AF. That's not true. I personally made sure to read threads in the AF forum, here, in the mod and Cmod forums, and I even PM'd a former Sports Cmod to ask his advice on the issue.

Personally, I did not have the final say on this call, but I agree 100% with the decision taken.

A couple of other points: we can't criticise a west coast-US based mod for not responding instantly to a report made when she's asleep. I think it's pretty ironic that some AF fans are basically giving out about the mod being based in the US :)

I ask all the AF regulars - folks, please report posts if you think there's a problem with it. If you report it, the mods can action it. (We can't criticise the mod team for not dealing with issues if they're not flagged for review through the report post mechanism.)

Finally, everyone, enjoy the Superbowl tonight. My heart says Saints, my head says Colts.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,457 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't see why Frisbee needs to justify himself here. The decision's been made so suck it up. If you wanna throw your toys out of the pram then leave and go somewhere else. The forum will survive I'm sure.

This witch hunt thread should be locked imo.
    Your response to anybody who is not in agreement with you is that they are childish or juvenile.

As for a 'witch hunt', I personally wasn't aware of whether Frisbee was a male or female, and I still ain't sure, not that it matters.

I looked ahead when this decision was made and I came to the conclusion that I personally would not be comfortable having a mod who has a history of being sneaky and underhand in dealings with me. As a result I felt I had no choice personally but to stop posting there.
    I will make it clear that I wouldn't have left the forum but would have complained vehemently about the selection if it had been somebody else.

I am the same person who gladly welcomed Blue_Lagoon as a moderator when she was chosen and thought it was an excellent choice. I had no input whatsoever into that decision by pm or any other way but BL was and is a regular poster in the forum.

The forum has got busier since I started posting there. We had a great core group with people such as Tallaghoutlaws, Davyjose, Hazys, Karluss, ReacherCreature, Kmart6, Chucky the tree, Kryogen, themont85, Archimedes, kev_s88, Royal Seahawk, Pheredykes, Oatsey23, Raven136, Chanandler Bong, InKonspikuou2, _Buck Rogers, frostie 500, Archimedes, evil_seed, Mad Max, D3PO, The Headhunter, Lirange and Blue_Lagoon. I'm forgetting some guys I'm sure but surely there was somebody off of that list that would have made a good moderator.

Instead somebody who doesn't post there, who we are expected to believe understands the game, and who is not a regular poster is made moderator of our forum. How do you expect us to react?

For starters this new moderator will have to fill the gap left by me, Tallaghtoutlaws and _Buck Rogers. I'm not being big headed about this, but thats not gonna happen. The amount of time and effort that we have put into the forum doesn't come unless you have a real love for the game, not just following a team every Sunday night in the NFL but studying the game, striving to understand everything there is to know about it, being up to date with all the happenings in the NFL and College Football, and in the case of Tallaght being a coach also.

And Xavi you came into this thread and are directly responsible for one of those members leaving. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think Eagle, that you've gone past the point where a productive discussion is possible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

eagle eye wrote: »
    The time you get a hidden member thats almost always one of the other really regular posters in the forum. As I said I spent an awful lot of time there.

How do you know who a hidden user is....?You may well spend a lot of time on the AF forum but you are not Keith Barry.

Sparks wrote: »
    I think Eagle, that you've gone past the point where a productive discussion is possible.
    Could you expand on that please?

Dub13 wrote: »
    How do you know who a hidden user....?You may well spend a lot of time on the AF forum but you are not Keith Barry.
    I don't know exactly what you are asking here.

If its do I know when a hidden user is in the forum, the answer is yes I do as down the bottom it says 2 members and 3 guests and only one name is shown.

If its, how do I know thats its a specific user, I could never be certain but an educated guess would tell me that its a regular poster and he might have just posted in the forum or the fact that he is so quick at times to respond to posts that it had to be him that was the hidden user.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

If its, how do I know thats its a specific user, I could never be certain but an educated guess would tell me that its a regular poster and he might have just posted in the forum or the fact that he is so quick at times to respond to posts that it had to be him that was the hidden user.

I think you are wrong,most forums have lurkers especially a forum such as AF.

Anyway its a mute point anyway seems as it has been pointed out loads of time that you don't need to even have a interest in a forum to be a good mod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Your response to anybody who is not in agreement with you is that they are childish or juvenile.

As for a 'witch hunt', I personally wasn't aware of whether Frisbee was a male or female, and I still ain't sure, not that it matters.

I looked ahead when this decision was made and I came to the conclusion that I personally would not be comfortable having a mod who has a history of being sneaky and underhand in dealings with me. As a result I felt I had no choice personally but to stop posting there.
    I will make it clear that I wouldn't have left the forum but would have complained vehemently about the selection if it had been somebody else.

I am the same person who gladly welcomed Blue_Lagoon as a moderator when she was chosen and thought it was an excellent choice. I had no input whatsoever into that decision by pm or any other way but BL was and is a regular poster in the forum.

The forum has got busier since I started posting there. We had a great core group with people such as Tallaghoutlaws, Davyjose, Hazys, Karluss, ReacherCreature, Kmart6, Chucky the tree, Kryogen, themont85, Archimedes, kev_s88, Royal Seahawk, Pheredykes, Oatsey23, Raven136, Chanandler Bong, InKonspikuou2, _Buck Rogers, frostie 500, Archimedes, evil_seed, Mad Max, D3PO, The Headhunter, Lirange and Blue_Lagoon. I'm forgetting some guys I'm sure but surely there was somebody off of that list that would have made a good moderator.

Instead somebody who doesn't post there, who we are expected to believe understands the game, and who is not a regular poster is made moderator of our forum. How do you expect us to react?

For starters this new moderator will have to fill the gap left by me, Tallaghtoutlaws and _Buck Rogers. I'm not being big headed about this, but thats not gonna happen. The amount of time and effort that we have put into the forum doesn't come unless you have a real love for the game, not just following a team every Sunday night in the NFL but studying the game, striving to understand everything there is to know about it, being up to date with all the happenings in the NFL and College Football, and in the case of Tallaght being a coach also.

And Xavi you came into this thread and are directly responsible for one of those members leaving. Well done.

No offence but that's not true for every member of a forum. There'll be lurkers who never post and there'll be regulars and devotees. For example in soccer I am only interested in Arsenal first and foremost and after that the odd thread that catches my eye. It doesn't make me less of a poster than someone who has an interest in all and everything soccer based.

I know Frisbee through the Arsenal thread and I'm sure that he'd make a great mod be it of AF or potentially soccer. Can you not give him a chance at burying this grudge you seem to hold against him by talking to him on this thread and coming to your final decision then?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Folks, I think at this point all parties may have to decide to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

There's more important things to be done like getting setup for a not so minor game that's happening tonight. I've got a fire lit, chips and dips in, dinner ready, and a few beers in the cooler. Go Saints!

Kirnsy wrote: »
    I know Frisbee through the Arsenal thread and I'm sure that he'd make a great mod be it of AF or potentially soccer. Can you not give him a chance at burying this grudge you seem to hold against him by talking to him on this thread and coming to your final decision then?
    Firstly, you are another person who knows Frisbee through the soccer forum. Thats you, Des, Xavi, Dave from the soccer forum and maybe more. The only one of them I remember posting with any frequency in the AF forum is Xavi and thats only in the fantasy football section and rarely enough too.

Its not a grudge, its about trust. I could not trust this person ever again. The way he/she acted was underhand and sneaky.
    For me that would be the same as giving a conman who swindled you out of money a chance to do the same thing again to you.
    What would you do if somebody had conned you? Personally I would make sure they never got the chance again, that why I used the ignore feature on this site in this intance. I don't see any good reason to take it off now.

Trojan wrote: »
    Folks, I think at this point all parties may have to decide to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

There's more important things to be done like getting setup for a not so minor game that's happening tonight. I've got a fire lit, chips and dips in, dinner ready, and a few beers in the cooler. Go Saints!
    I don't think you have heard from all concerned parties yet.

As regards moderators in a forum thats not busy, its a totally different thing to a busy forum like Soccer, Rugby etc.
    You don't need people who are active posters in that forum to moderate as you have plenty of them.
    A person who has left the American Football forum due to lack of interest is hardly the person for the job. A person who is there regularly and posts regularly and interacts with other posters is a much better person to moderate that forum. It gives a friendlier feel to the forum and makes it more likely that a new poster will come back again. Its more likely to encourage growth in the forum.
    Take for instance the boxing forum. The two moderators in that forum are active posters in the forum and are very well respected by everybody that posts there. That forum is far more popular than it should be given how much of a minority the sport is in Ireland. True you get a whale of posters in it when there are superfights on but there would be a lot less regulars without the input of the two moderators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Wow I never realised my words had so much influence :rolleyes:

If that's seriously the case then it's a little bit sad on their part don't you think? I'm just another poster in that forum afterall.

That forum is far more popular than it should be given how much of a minority the sport is in Ireland.
    Boxing.
    A minority sport.
    In Ireland.
    And you're worried about Frisbee's technical knowledge of sports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

K, quick breakdown on this.

-Mod is requested, and one is appointed within a few days.

-Couple of people (4?) took the time to nominate someone, only one dissenting voice, the other three or whatever supporting one individual, who got the gig.

-The prominent dissent here appears to be from eagle eye, due to a semi-clarified incident with that person in the past. No one else on the forum seems to have vocalised (textualised?) their dissatisfaction on this thread to that extent, bar three posters I think, who expressed the wish that their opinion be translated into the appointment of someone else.

Fair enough?

Just as an outsider, sticking the oar in, as one does on Feedback; The dissenting voices were nowhere to be heard before yer man or woman got the mod position, bar eagle eye of course. For their part, and I'm no blind supporter of what the admins get up to at times; as we've seen elsewhere, the admins are not, or even in Tom's time, were never at the stage where they appointed a janitor solely on user input. It may have happened at times through agreement, apathy, or by chance, but it was never the rule. It's great that we are now in a place where we can question things, but overanalysis is a danger as well.

In a nutshell, would ye not give the guy/girl a chance? There's a game of HandEgg* on later, I believe, it would be more productive to shout at that screen, than this one.

(*To clarify; no flames please, all in fun!)

633692057194761860-handegg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There's a game of HandEgg* on later, I believe,

First quarter is nearly over.

Colts lead three to zero

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

eagleeye, do you have any objections to Frisbee explaining the incident that occured in the past which resulted in this massive problem you have with her? franky unless its of wayne bridge/john terry proportions, i can't help but feel you're blowing it out of proportion just a tad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

Why do all the players have extremely unnatural looking bodies? Must be the American diet of additives and preservatives that they were brought up on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Why do all the players have extremely unnatural looking bodies? Must be the American diet of additives and preservatives that they were brought up on.

Define natural.

With a population of 300 million you'd have to expect a few 300 pounders.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    eagleeye, do you have any objections to Frisbee explaining the incident that occured in the past which resulted in this massive problem you have with her? franky unless its of wayne bridge/john terry proportions, i can't help but feel you're blowing it out of proportion just a tad.
    Thats pointless and I do object as it is going nowhere.

The real problem here is that a person from outside the forum was chosen. We needed a moderator who is regularly posting in the forum for all the reasons I have explained already.

Boxing.
    A minority sport.
    In Ireland.
    Yes it is.
    And you're worried about Frisbee's technical knowledge of sports?
    I'm not worried about the technical knowlege of anybody in sports. I am concerned that you guys saw fit to put a moderator in the forum who doesn't post there. I explained it above.
    My concerns regarding Frisbee are because of an occurrence in another forum. Thats a whole other matter.

While I won't be posting there anymore, the fact remains that you did not listen to the forum regulars.

As a matter of fact if you had listened to the forum regulars I wouldn't be here at all as this person would not have been selected to mod the forum.
    I would still be here if you had selected another outsider to mod the forum that wasn't Frisbee.

My concerns regarding Frisbee are because of an occurrence in another forum. Thats a whole other matter.

Then why bring it up at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Good to have you on board Frisbee!

Yes it is.
    No, it's not. It's one of the five sports highlighted by the Sports Council for preferential funding, it's one of the most successful sports in the country with several olympic medals won for Ireland, it has some of the best media coverage of any sport in Ireland, and frankly it can only be considered a minority sport if you count the spectators in other sports as participants (and the day sitting on the couch watching the match makes you a participant in soccer/GAA/Rubgy/Curling is the day the numbers become worthless).
    While I won't be posting there anymore, the fact remains that you did not listen to the forum regulars.
    The fact remains that we did. Here and by PM. Including you. We just decided on someone you personally did not recommend, but who had the backing of the majority of those who responded.
    As a matter of fact if you had listened to the forum regulars I wouldn't be here at all as this person would not have been selected to mod the forum.
    The fact that we did listen and you're still here tells me that this isn't an altruistic complaint on your part, but a selfish and disingenous one. Whether that's because you wanted the role and weren't chosen, or whether it's that you really do have a personal issue with Frisbee frankly doesn't concern me at this point, as you've turned this thread into a waste of time by repeating things which are incorrect and stated you've no intention of seeking a solution. A complaint made purely so that you can complain has no real merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Look mate, I'm getting sick of you now going on about what I did to you on another forum being underhanded and sneaky, your making me sound like I ate your baby.

There was a simple mistake made, and the fact your not willing to let me disclose what happened shows that you've built it up too much now that when people hear about it they will laugh, it really was one of the most innocuous incidents and I can't believe it's upset you this much.

Someone quote me please.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tristram wrote: »
    Good to have you on board Frisbee!
    This is the thread for slating Frisbee, if you wanna kiss her arse then send a PM ! :mad:

Frisbee wrote: »
    Look mate, I'm getting sick of you now going on about what I did to you on another forum being underhanded and sneaky, your making me sound like I ate your baby.

There was a simple mistake made, and the fact your not willing to let me disclose what happened shows that you've built it up too much now that when people hear about it they will laugh, it really was one of the most innocuous incidents and I can't believe it's upset you this much.

Someone quote me please.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

We needed a moderator who is regularly posting in the forum for all the reasons I have explained already.

you keep saying we, yet how many others have come in and backed you in this thread?

why is no one else outraged at Frisbee's appointment as a Mod?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement