Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Football

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,457 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sparks wrote: »
    The fact remains that we did. Here and by PM. Including you. We just decided on someone you personally did not recommend, but who had the backing of the majority of those who responded.

You have gave the impression in this thread since the appointment that you were in contact with regulars who had no problem with this appointment. Since that time there has not been one regular poster who has said that they were contacted. In contrast there have been three who have said they weren't contacted.

Before you made any decision these posts were made by people who post in the forum quite regularly including two of the most frequent posters and not including me. I can also see two people suggesing myself and Tallaghtoutlaws for the job.
    davyjose wrote: »
    But we brought this up a few months ago - not one AF regular was made a mod. Gimme a break, it's the 3rd biggest night of the season - no need for robots, just a glancing interest in the game.

Having said that, i appreciate you stepping in and saying something.
    kryogen wrote: »
    think getting one of the regular posters to be a mod is a good idea

if nobody is happy to do it, i wouldnt mind, im online late alot, cause im up watching the football but i wouldnt be a huge contributer to the forum so it would be best to try get a regular first if that is the decision that will be taken
    davyjose wrote: »
    I've a 2 month old son, so forget it. But i'd nominate tallaghtoutlaws and/or eagle eye for the job (and that's like a Man u fan picking a liverpool fan :D), these guys know the game inside out, have an interest in every thread, and are on here more than enough to make me happy. I'd also absolutely lend my full support to Kryogen too.

Dave
    See thats the difference we do expect mods to be on at 2am. Every single AF game is on late so we need a mod who stays up late to watch the games a reasonable amount of the time.

Also its a highly competitive sport which results in highly competitive fans so we do need active moderation especially during play off times. Imagine no moderation in soccer for the champions league final or FA cup final.

Cabaal its irrelevant that the mods don't get paid, Mods are needed for the section, there is several regs who would be happy to do it and would have full backing from our little corner of the community ( tallaght and eagle to name two).

The mods don't get paid argument really annoys me.
    Ah no worries man. I was pushed to far and I accept I crossed the line and if it means I dont get mod thats fair enough but my original case is that someone should be and there is more than me in there who are regulars.

The fact that we did listen and you're still here tells me that this isn't an altruistic complaint on your part, but a selfish and disingenous one. Whether that's because you wanted the role and weren't chosen, or whether it's that you really do have a personal issue with Frisbee frankly doesn't concern me at this point, as you've turned this thread into a waste of time by repeating things which are incorrect and stated you've no intention of seeking a solution. A complaint made purely so that you can complain has no real merit.
    You didn't listen to the regulars. You keep saying you did, but from what I'm reading here the only people you listened to were buddies of Frisbee, none of whom are regulars on the American Football forum.

What you don't seem to understand though is that all my annoyance eminates from the decision to appoint from outside the forum. This is the crux of the matter. I would not be complaining if you had chosen a forum regular.

As far as quoting something so I can read it, it doesn't matter what is posted as I don't trust that person and that won't change.

One more thing, I posted saying goodbye on the AF forum and you locked it. I received an infraction after that which doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    I just think its sad that after posting possibly more than 3000 times in that forum over the last two years and starting maybe 130 threads that I wasn't allowed to say goodbye and explain why on the forum. In fact you might see even more reaction if I did, but I guess that is what you are afraid of.

I will come back to this thread again, but I'm finished on boards.ie. The lack of respect for regular posters in that forum on this thread is disgusting. The amount of trolling which is allowed here and the number of disingenuous posts here is also quite sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So someone you don't like which you have a grudge against from over a year ago (in another forum cos you broke the rules of that forum and got an infraction) got made mod
    of the AF forum rather then you or any of your mates and you are crying foul and stropping off?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

eagle eye wrote: »
    I can also see two people suggesing myself and Tallaghtoutlaws for the job.
    I believe that that might be closer to the root cause of your disaffection than anything I've seen yet.
    You didn't listen to the regulars.
    You keep saying that, on a thread created by a regular asking for a moderator to be appointed. Does this not strike you as self-contradictory?
    What you don't seem to understand though is that all my annoyance eminates from the decision to appoint from outside the forum.
    And what you utterly fail to recognise is that while you seem to believe you should have had a veto instead of just input into this decision, in fact you have a right to neither.
    As far as quoting something so I can read it, it doesn't matter what is posted as I don't trust that person and that won't change.
    If you have no intention of seeking a solution or even specifying the alleged wrong you were done despite multiple requests from several parties including the person who allegedly wronged you; then your complain has no merit and does not concern me in the slightest.
    One more thing, I posted saying goodbye on the AF forum and you locked it.
    Again, factually incorrect, but it does speak volumes that you believe you have a right to start a melodramatic thread decrying moderation decisions despite that being completely outside the forum charter.
    I just think its sad that after posting possibly more than 3000 times in that forum over the last two years and starting maybe 130 threads that I wasn't allowed to say goodbye
    It's not sad, because you're not being asked, expected or forced to leave. Do you see threads from other posters waving a teary farewell and aiming a kick at the moderators every time they wander away for six months?
    I will come back to this thread again, but I'm finished on boards.ie.
    You realise this thread is on boards.ie, right?
    The amount of trolling which is allowed here and the number of disingenuous posts here is also quite sickening.
    Indeed, but I suspect the admins wished to allow you to express yourself, though personally I think we passed the point where that was constructive quite a while ago. Frankly, I would rather spend my time dealing with complaints made in good faith than this sort of self-aggrandising and disingenuous twaddle.

Well Sparks its kind of pointless discussing anything with you if you are going to break up my post like that, omit sentences and break up paragraphs that go together.

Eagle_eye, you've already announced that you're finished with the forum, done with boards, have no intention of resolving any issues, and won't even tell us what some of those issues are to begin with. So exactly how can I make this discussion pointless when you ensured it was as sharp as a bowling ball to begin with?

• Advertisement

Eagle_eye, you've already announced that you're finished with the forum, done with boards, have no intention of resolving any issues, and won't even tell us what some of those issues are to begin with. So exactly how can I make this discussion pointless when you ensured it was as sharp as a bowling ball to begin with?
    Post 152 I was hoping would be my last or second last post on boards.ie. I was hoping you would answer it directly and take on board the points I made.

The response in post 154 was not what I was hoping for but sadly that seems to be the policy on boards. Rather than respond to a post directly, just break it up and attempt to make the poster look foolish, or attempt to annoy them, but I digress.

Just answer that post fairly and honestly and I'm done here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Just answer that post fairly and honestly and I'm done here.

By "fairly and honestly", do you mean "telling what you want to hear", cos otherwise I think his response was more than fair.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    So someone you don't like which you have a grudge against from over a year ago (in another forum cos you broke the rules of that forum and got an infraction) got made mod
    of the AF forum rather then you or any of your mates and you are crying foul and stropping off?

Have you ever posted in the AF forum? If not why do you feel the need to get involved in this thread? Are you and admin? Are you a sports cmod? It doesn't appear so.

eagle, where's the question in 152?

GuanYin wrote: »
    By "fairly and honestly", do you mean "telling what you want to hear", cos otherwise I think his response was more than fair.
    Have you ever posted in the AF forum? If not why do you feel the need to get involved in this thread? Are you an admin? Are you a sports cmod? It doesn't appear so.

• Advertisement

eagle, where's the question in 152?
    Oh my English must have failed me.

I was hoping you would respond to it fairly and honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Have you ever posted in the AF forum? If not why do you feel the need to get involved in this thread? Are you and admin? Are you a sports cmod? It doesn't appear so.

Feedback = public forum, perhaps you should have gone to helpdesk if you only wanted to talk to admins and the cat mods. Just another bit of boards you don't get I suppose.

Feedback = public forum, perhaps you should have gone to helpdesk if you only wanted to talk to admins and the cat mods. Just another bit of boards you don't get I suppose.
    I do understand it, I just don't understand why people have nothing better to do than make comments in a thread which clearly is about somewhere they don't frequent.

I read and post in feedback. That's where the problem seems to be.

Oh my English must have failed me. I was hoping you would respond to it fairly and honestly.
    It would seem it did fail you in that case, because I did, in post 154 above. Your complaints have no merit, you are not complaining in good faith, and your criticisms are self-contradictory at best and melodramatically self-aggrandising at worst. You are imposing an exile on yourself without cause or suggestion and treating it as though it was a punishment handed down from on high without appeal, damaging both you and the forum -- which frankly, it isn't and won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I do understand it, I just don't understand why people have nothing better to do than make comments in a thread which clearly is about somewhere they don't frequent.

It's been pointed out many times but you really need to stop assuming that people not posting does not mean people not reading.

Plus I was suggested as a mod for American Football in this thread. So it HAS got something to do with me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Eagleeye

I'm just sayin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I asked a question as this is a public forum and that is my summation of this thread, if there's something I missed or that hasn't been already mentioned I was giving you a chance to refute my summation.

I don't need to be an admin or a sports cat mod to post here, if that is the type of interaction you wished for then you should get the thread moved to helpdesk/complaints.

It would seem it did fail you in that case, because I did, in post 154 above. Your complaints have no merit, you are not complaining in good faith, and your criticisms are self-contradictory at best and melodramatically self-aggrandising at worst. You are imposing an exile on yourself without cause or suggestion and treating it as though it was a punishment handed down from on high without appeal, damaging both you and the forum -- which frankly, it isn't and won't.
    Its just incredible how your wording has changed in such a short space of time.
    It has damaged the forum as it will have less traffic and posts than it has had over the past two years. It will become just like the poker forum in time, just a ghost forum.
    I'm finished here right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Bearing in mind we've bumped heads plenty, please take this as objective feedback.
    Before you made any decision these posts were made by people who post in the forum quite regularly including two of the most frequent posters and not including me. I can also see two people suggesing myself and Tallaghtoutlaws for the job.

You're doing a bang up job of proving the Admin choice of a non-regular to be the right one tbh. You say two regs recommended you as mod, yet you repeatedly refuse to engage with another user over an incident that happened a year ago, and continue to hurl accusations at her without accepting any attempt by her to find a way for you to resolve the issue and move on.

That is not the behaviour one expects of a person considered moderator material.

One of the first things I did when appointed as mod of the SF was to remove anybody I had added to my ignore list, whether they be soccer forum regs or not, on the grounds that it would be my job to read and respond as required to any posts in the forum, and also to respond to any criticisms in Feedback or the old Help Desk, whether from forum regs nor not.

Adult behaviour is expected of moderators, your respons to Frisbee on this thread has been far from adult, and if your intention is to complain about the process and selection, then you have merely reinforced the Admin decision through your own actions.

It has damaged the forum as it will have less traffic and posts than it has had over the past two years.
    I believe you're confusing quantity with quality. And simultaneously assuming that you are indispensable. I would disabuse you of both notions, if it were at all possible.
    It will become just like the poker forum in time, just a ghost forum.
    Indeed it will... until the season restarts in autumn.

Its just incredible how your wording has changed in such a short space of time.

I doubt it, people are probably looking there to see what the fuss is about.
    I'm finished here right now.

The Lollipop Guild are readying their representatives as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'll give him 24 hours max before he comes back to get another last word in......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Eagle eye really has been quite awful in this thread and has done an excellent job of proving why the correct decision was made not to consider him as a mod.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

The grievance we had wasn't that anyone in particular didn't get asked to moderate but rather the admins chose to look out of the AF forum community to pick an admin. It's as simple as that.

Then when we brought the grievance here, I felt we were belittled and made to look foolish, obviously a matter of opinion on my part but its how I feel we were treated.

In regards to everyone saying frisbee deserves a chance before we start shouting for his head. If it was anyone who was apart of the AF forum community then definately, we'd all give him a chance, but its not the case. The way it happened just left alot of us feeling. . .ignored . . . can't think of the word I want but ignored to a degree. We felt that our needs weren't catered for. Maybe we are being needy and greedy but its how we feel.

When I say "we" by the way I refere to some I talked to through pm about the matter.

I read this by Wibbs today and I think it loosely applies to this situation as well.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Posters, good posters who want the gig and whose fellows and mods in the community want them to get the gig should be given precedence over "Pro" mods. Those people are the ones who will be interacting with them every day. Before anyone says "well in business you have to deal with people promoted from on high" etc. Well this isnt business, or shouldnt be. Not to that degree. Plus people have more faith in any community when they feel their input is being acknowledged and may be rewarded(if modding is a reward for them).

Well thats that then. I hope this wraps everythin up. This hasn't been a nice thread for either side and has seen its fair share of bad blood.

Frisbee it was nothing personal agasint you, it jsut happened to be you who was promoted from outside the AF community.

Take it easy all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It has been stated ad nauseum that we did not listen to the forum regulars. That is factually incorrect. We listened to the forum regulars, as well as Cmods and even requested input from ex-Cmods in making this decision. We listened to a whole heap of people.

It is fair to say that we listened but did not act on every suggestion put forward by the forum regulars, or the Cmods, or the ex-Cmods. That's the way things work - we take on board a whole heap of suggestions (as many as possible), and then make a judgement call based on our experience of choosing hundreds and hundreds of moderators in the past.

Are we perfect or claiming to be always right? Certainly not. We have made mistakes in the past. Unfortunately they usually tend to get more press coverage than our more frequent but less newsworthy successes.

The suggestion has been made that we should give precedence to non-mods from the forum communities over existing mods. That's a worthwhile suggestion and I'm pretty certain it will be discussed at length in the FeedForward forum once that comes online. In the meantime, we're using our tried and fairly well trusted process (you'll have to take our word for it that we have had some past successes with our process, as all you tend to read about in here are the failures ;)). Is it playing too safe? Probably. But there's a reason you don't see laterals* or Statue of Liberty plays in NFL.

Finally, the admins certainly do not want to make anyone feel belittled or made to look foolish - that is totally counterproductive to trying to run the site smoothly. On behalf of the admins, or at least the ones crazy enough to be still online at this hour, I'd like to apologise for making anyone feel that way.

Ultimately, as the saying going "you cannot please all of the people all of the time", and I'm sorry that any of the AF regulars feel disinfranchised by this decision.

* Edit: because a dropped lateral results in a live ball :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

lol well played eagle eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Dave! wrote: »
    This is the thread for slating Frisbee, if you wanna kiss her arse then send a PM ! :mad:

Apologies. I will of course accept whatever sanctions you deem fit. :P

edit: it would be nice if "people" could stop using "we" and "regulars" so much. Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

this may be my favourite ever feedback thread. as a someone with no real bias on this issue, this thread has done nothing but prove that the right choice was made when picking Frisbee as a mod, best of luck to her in her new role.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement