Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering a new phoneline with broadband as my priority

• 17-01-2010 5:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

G'day gents and ladies,
    Let me give you a quick rundown to the broadband situation in our area. Right now the phone lines in Laragh/Clonfert are on basic copper wire which cant support any kind of internet (almost no dial up).Annoyingly Maynooth is only a few kilometers away from use and is able to get 24mb broadband. For almost 2 years we have had to rely on 3g modems and wireless options, all with varying but ultimately frustrating results.

Recently my Father accidentally broke our 3G modem by dropping it in a jug of water (it was the best place to get a stable connection funnily enough) and we have looked into other sources of broadband. Because Eircom arent bothering thier arse upgrading the phone lines and we dont want to depend on 3G anymore I decided to look into upgrading our phoneline to support broadband.

I want to know, from you guys and gals, whats the procedure is in upgrading our line for 12mb broadband. What about getting a community line going along our road ?

Hope you guys can help

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If eircom haven't upgraded your exchange to ADSL then you can't get ADSL through anyone, so Broadband through your phoneline is sadly completely out of the question....no if's or buts.

No community scheme in the world will allow you to get ADSL,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

Playsatan wrote: »
    G'day gents and ladies,
    Let me give you a quick rundown to the broadband situation in our area. Right now the phone lines in Laragh/Clonfert are on basic copper wire which cant support any kind of internet (almost no dial up).Annoyingly Maynooth is only a few kilometers away from use and is able to get 24mb broadband. For almost 2 years we have had to rely on 3g modems and wireless options, all with varying but ultimately frustrating results.

Recently my Father accidentally broke our 3G modem by dropping it in a jug of water (it was the best place to get a stable connection funnily enough) and we have looked into other sources of broadband. Because Eircom arent bothering thier arse upgrading the phone lines and we dont want to depend on 3G anymore I decided to look into upgrading our phoneline to support broadband.

I want to know, from you guys and gals, whats the procedure is in upgrading our line for 12mb broadband. What about getting a community line going along our road ?

Is it that your local exchange doesn't support DSL or that your telephone line is too far from the exchange? Your options depend on this. (If you know a local eircom guy they may be able to answer this.)

If it is a telephone line issue, a wireless link to your local exchange is one option. Eircom may be willing to provide this, its always worth asking. If your exchange is not DSL enabled you will have a better chance of getting it upgraded if a number of your neighbours also apply for DSL.

If you have no joy with eircom, try the National Broadband Scheme, see here and here.

If you have no joy with the above your options are the mobile companies or WiFi providers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

recycler1 wrote: »
    If it is a telephone line issue, a wireless link to your local exchange is one option. Eircom may be willing to provide this,

Yeah eircom "might" but at great cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Playsatan

Hmm . . .how would I find out my exchange information ? I know my uncle is able to get broadband to his house and he lives about a kilometer away.

The only information I know about my phoneline is that it is a basic copper line and cant support broadband. If it turns out that the exchange needs to be upgraded can we not apply for a community grant to try get it up to speed ?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yeah eircom "might" but at great cost

Ranting, again?

• Advertisement

recycler1 wrote: »
    Ranting, again?

care to elaborate?

Hmm . . .how would I find out my exchange information ? I know my uncle is able to get broadband to his house and he lives about a kilometer away.

The only information I know about my phoneline is that it is a basic copper line and cant support broadband. If it turns out that the exchange needs to be upgraded can we not apply for a community grant to try get it up to speed ?

It would really help if you could get the statistics from your uncles DSL modem and a more precise measure of the distance, by road, from your house to his and from his to the exchange. In rural areas, eircom cables tend to be routed along the public road so that this should give a reasonable measure of actual line distance from the exchange. DSL range is also somewhat linear with distance in rural areas. With the above info it should be possible to get an idea from posters here as to whether your home is in range.

I am not aware of a community grant to get exchanges DSL enabled.
    However, the national broadband scheme is designed to help people in non-urban areas who cannot get broadband. If you have no joy with eircom, talk to them.

Best of Luck...

If you uncle is able to get ADSL and your on the same exchange as him then the exchange has already been upgraded.

How far do you think your uncle is from the local exchange?

It unfortunately might be the very case that you could be just too far away from the exchange but you'd need to give more info here for us to work that out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Playsatan

Ok, heres a quick map to demonstrate
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=113073702977695196936.00047d63ad39efbcfa251&t=h&z=15

Google needs to update their maps, but as you can see, a stones throw from Maynooth. Now I dont know what speeds the exchange can handle or where its at even, but it doesnt look very far away.

Does anyone know what an exchange looks like ? Maybe I could follow the phone masts and look for something specific ?

Right now my uncle has 1mb broadband from eircom. However, he is only using 1mb as he doesnt use the internet that often and sees no point in upgrading.
    This means I have no idea what the maximum speed he can get in the area is.

Im not sure what else I can tell you at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

The only information I know about my phoneline is that it is a basic copper line and cant support broadband. I

Basic copper wire can support BB.

Can you see you uncles house from your place ?

If so, it wouldn't be difficult (with the right equip) linking to his house and using his connection.

• Advertisement

Looks to be approx 2.7km, however you have to consider that the cable to your house may not be taking the same route and as such could be much much longer

If your Uncle and you are running off of the Maynooth exchange then you have to account for the cable lenght from Maynooth whic is likely 4km+ so you uncle "might" be on the outer limits already.

If you get his line stats and confirm what exchange you and him are connected to we'd have a much better idea.
    Google needs to update their maps, but as you can see, a stones throw from Maynooth. Now I dont know what speeds the exchange can handle or where its at even, but it doesnt look very far away.

Exchange is likely upgraded to upot 7.6MB,
    - You'd need to confirm where the exchange is and if infact you are on that exchange.

You should be able to get this info from eircom, ask them what exchange you connected to.
    Does anyone know what an exchange looks like ? Maybe I could follow the phone masts and look for something specific ?

Following the cables would take you all day, the exchange in smaller towns and villages are small concrete buildings with tiny windows all around the building just at the top, they normally only have one door.
    Right now my uncle has 1mb broadband from eircom. However, he is only using 1mb as he doesnt use the internet that often and sees no point in upgrading.

He might only have 1MB because this is the package he choose, this doesn't mean all he can get is 1MB
    This means I have no idea what the maximum speed he can get in the area is.

You can tell this, if you login to his router you can get his line stats
    once you get these post them here

Advertisement