Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cleaning car underside after the salty road season...

• 17-01-2010 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I'm curious about how some of the carnnoisseurs here went about desalinating the undercarriages of their precious motors after driving on salted motorways during the cold snap?

Just a powerhose wash?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd hold off on it for the moment as the grit residue is still all over the roads and once the ground is wet it will just go straight back up on the car, best wait a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

They were gritting the M4 last night, I'd hold off for a bit longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I wouldn't hold off on it if you are going to do it yourself, that's like not washing your car because you think it's going to rain next week and it may get dirty again.

Eitherway, you're more than likely not going to get all of it, so it may need one or more washes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Did mine yesterday afternoon wheel arches, alloys, and underside. Fair about of grit on the arches as its seems to bond (judging by how it sticks to the paint work). Feel better now that its done. Gave the car a once over also while I was @ it,tyre pressures and fluids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I did mine and the GF's on saturday. They used so much salt over christmas/new year I'd do it asap. And do it again in the next week or so.

I power hosed the arches, alloys and under body and all the body work and then used the garden hose under the arches again as the power hose isn't as flexible to get in the lip/nooks and crannys.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

Thanks very much to everyone that answered my query. Everybody has given sound advice which I'm going to take. A bit of hosing down this evening for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just don't over-do it.

Don't sit the high power nozzle right on the car bottom (tempting as that may be). These things have enough power to crack the protective coating/strip it right off - making things worse instead of better.

Keep the lance well away, wash away the salt, don't try and blast it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

With the current water shortages, it would be better to wait until the supply is better. You don't want to get up next morning and find you can't have a coffee because suppy is gone. Councils are asking people to conserve the water.

Advertisement